Will a Carrera chip fit into MRRC Ford MKIV chassis

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Will a Carrera chip fit into MRRC Ford MKIV chassis

Postby David C » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:41 am

After looking at the Scalextric Mark IV , I much rather modify the MRRC version for my Carrera track, have any of you tried doing this? In looking at chassis photos there does not look like there's enough room to fit the new 26732 chip?

I Googled this but came up with nothing, thanks in advance for any help/advice.
David C

Re: Will a Carrera chip fit into MRRC Ford MKIV chassis

Postby Wobble » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:38 pm

MRRC do a sidewinder Monza chassis that should allow more room for fitting a chip although I'm unsure if it will fit under a MKIV body.

https://www.mrrc.com/search/index/sSear ... egory/5110
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 32lbking » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:57 pm

David, I haven't chipped this car, but I took the body off of mine and set a chip on the chassis. It shouldn't be too bad of a job.
The chip I used is the old 26732 [with the longer legs, so the new chip will work fine] and it fits with stock inline setup. It will sit a little to the right side [not a problem] and the long legs go right along side the motor [same as a Carrera chassis]. You will have to remove the front magnet as the led and switch will sit in this area [may have to file 1-2mm on the left side of the magnet pocket for the led, but I don't think so]. That should be fine as there is a rear magnet and this car has a ton of downforce even on Carrera track.
There are 4 screws with nuts that hold the front and rear chassis sections together.I would remove the one on the front right so the chip can sit a little lower as it will overlap the nut. I removed it just to check and the chassis is still plenty tight.
The car has a tray interior and the front is a little lower than the rest of the tray. I think you can grind a little off the front to make it even with the back section. The front area is where the partial drivers legs are, but I think all you have to do is put a small piece of card painted black under the driver and paint 2 white stripes for his legs if you want [where you grind] and it should not show at all through the windows.The really nice engine detail will remain untouched and beautiful.Worse case scenario is cut the interior in half leaving the rear engine detail and use some card for the front half, but I don't think that will be necessary.
You will have to cut a small hole towards the middle left of the interior for that barrel shaped capacitor [or whatever it is] on the rear left of the chip [should not show].
I can't tell for sure if the chips connector plugs will fit though. I would cut them and just splice the guide and motor wires to the chip wires.No lights in this one so don't need to worry about those.
Like I said, I have not actually chipped it but I don't think you will have any trouble.
It sounds like a lot, but if you place the chip on the chassis you will see that it's not too hard.
Randy
32lbking
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby David C » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:23 am

Thanks for the response Randy; this will be a future project for me I'm sure
David C

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale