[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Scalextric Ford MKIV Concerns

Scalextric Ford MKIV Concerns

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Scalextric Ford MKIV Concerns

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:48 am

You might have read some very glowing words about this latest release.

I disagree. And it isn't just the obvious scale issues all around. Which are the most glaring.
I read some comments about the "incredible detail".
Not sure anyone that knows this car can possibly say that. But hey, I am not a dealer trying to sell it. :angry-soapbox:

These gargantuan truck-sized tires are there for a REASON.

The reason is GROUND CLEARANCE or lack thereof.

There is slightly less than 1MM clearance between the chassis and track surface.

The only tire that I have that will work is the PG 22125.

And this is WITHOUT SANDING. For example, installing a 21125 to try and improve the appearance will result in the chassis bottoming out.

No silicones are tall enough (outer diameter) in my inventory.

Just a word of caution for those thinking about swapping tires.
Especially if you were wanting to install some smaller tires to improve the scale appeal.

In stock form it clears and works ok. Just be warned if you have severe overpass/bridge sections. But that is the case with others cars as well.

The other is the motor. Not because it is slimline, but because it tops out in the 28,000 RPM range.

I just do not see where this motor makes any sense. Simply too much, especially if you have a small to medium layout.

Making it a pretty much stand alone model with nothing else to match it with.

Unless you just have to have yet another MKIV, you might not want to invest.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Scalextric Ford MKIV Concerns

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:56 am

WOW !!! didn`t even know this beaut was available :dance:
sounds like a good candidate for a chassis heh?
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:07 am

Well, one more word. The motor is taching about 28,000 @12V

For some not an issue, easy enough to change. But this motor can really vibrate the drive train.

In magnet form, no big deal. On my track? Big deal.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:35 am

Harry, I assume you are doing your usual thorough job of making photos of the chassis, etc? Other than just building a chassis that will work and look proper, I am wondering if there might be a fix for the plastic chassis (including a proper motor), as a sort of short cut. We already know that scale size tires will pretty much fix the appearance, so if the axle height can be dealt with along with the motor swap, this might be easy. I am wondering about a brass or aluminum motor mount/axle holder, epoxied in position? Might help with weight distribution, too. I'm already wondering how to paint that pinstripe on urethane tires.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby RichD » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:48 am

Here is the 1:1 car as it looks today.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby David C » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:58 am

The body shape rise over the rear wheels looks terrible, i assume this is to allow for motor/drivetrain space? A large diameter wheel might help things, but to find a directional turbine wheel would be difficult, maybe from MRRC?
David C

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:24 am

There isn't a quick and easy fix as far as I can see Rob.

I installed the PG 22 12 5's and for my track it clears and works.

But the 28,000 motor is just too much for this car IMHO. Not sure I am going to do much else on this car. The scale appearance just sort of spoils it for me, and since I have the MRRC versions already tuned, not sure I am that motivated to make many changes.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Jesla » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:27 am

can't wait for bottom chassis pics.... an belt sander can sometimes cure this issue.... lol

not kidding...
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HRWAdmin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:39 am

Posted using Tapatalk Pro
HRWAdmin
Site Admin

Postby Jesla » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:42 am

looks like a good candidate....

Thank you sir......
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:21 pm

If you ever want to get rid of the original motor and rear tires, let me know.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:48 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Dangermouse » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Wonder if the Scalextric GT40 rear wheels be a better size... and fix the clearance issue up
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:38 pm

It's not wheel size. It's the low position of the entire axle assembly.

And rebuilding it is simply not worth it for me, but by all means go for it.

When you start adding up the costs, might as well buy an NSR if you simply have to have a MKIV?

Don't take all this the wrong way. I like a LOT of cars they do. This one is just not the best effort, not by a long shot.

And also...this is my perspective.

Others might feel it's just fine. So read all the data you can and decide yourself.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:06 pm

How is the stock rubber Harry, Is it good enough for a wood track with a medium speed motor? Something about the yellow is attracting me :angelic-yellow: :angelic-yellow:
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale