Cleaning Tires

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Cleaning Tires

Postby indybob009 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:22 am

I have used AJ's TNT for years to clean my tires. What other product does well. And anyone know what TNT is. Thanks
indybob009

Re: Cleaning Tires

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:46 am

Good old Ronsonol lighter fluid on a rag for stock rubber.

Alcohol for PG Urethanes and Silicones.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Cleaning Tires

Postby RichD » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:25 am

You did not say what sort of tires you were using, different types of tires might benefit from a different cleaning/conditioning method. If you are using rubber tires the fronts may get coated with rubber dust, you can remove that with lighter fluid. Rear tires do not get coated with rubber dust, but if they have grease on them you can remove it with lighter fluid. Rolling the tires over sticky tape will remove regular dust. Rubber tires can be conditioned with 3in1 oil, suntan lotion or NSR tire conditioner, apply some to the tread part of the tire, wait about 15 minutes and wipe off the excess. Do not leave tires soaking in any conditioner for long periods of time. Silicone and urethane tires do not benefit from any conditioner that I am aware of, all they need is a simple cleaning. I roll silicone tires over sticky tape to clean them. That can also be done with urethane tires. Sometimes urethane tires will get coated with something that tape will not remove, wiping the tires with a rag and some soap solution will clean them. If I am just using urethane tires I have a board with some microfiber cloth tacked on to it. I squirt soapy water on one end of the board and roll the tires through that and across the dry portion of the board to wash and dry the tires in a single pass.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale