New Carrera Bel Air #90

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: New Carrera Bel Air #90

Postby Racie35 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:03 pm

Just one...nothing like it to race against. Unless you think a field of like cars is cool..you could by all,liveries
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:10 am

Re: New Carrera Bel Air #90

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:11 pm

But a field of them IS cool.

How is it any different with modern NASCAR? They all are the same. Change the grill stickers??? They all are the same. It's a (insert car brand here) because of a few stickers?

So get a field of 57 Chevys. How is that not cool? We have them. Race them all. It's a hoot to see the big bowties flying around.
-Harry

"They didn't say you couldn't" - Smokey

Image

Image
User avatar
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor
 
Posts: 13319
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: HRW Skunkworks

Re: New Carrera Bel Air #90

Postby DaveKennedy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:15 pm

Racie35 wrote:Just one...nothing like it to race against. Unless you think a field of like cars is cool..you could by all,liveries

A field of Chevy's... that's why i'm trying to make a new one each year.
So the idea of "hey make something different... but i'm not buying what you're currently making" is as you might imagine perplexing to me. Not to put too fine a point on things you understand. This is a frustration that's part of the territory but....
User avatar
DaveKennedy
Carrera Master
 
Posts: 1152
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:57 am

Re: New Carrera Bel Air #90

Postby Dangermouse » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks for the photos Harry
I thought it had some lettering on the roof -
Golden Greek Emanuel Zervakis - he raced some cool cars :)

I am going to make some decals for the roof - looks like he had a #90 on the boot as well. :)
User avatar
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!
 
Posts: 1079
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Australia

Re: New Carrera Bel Air #90

Postby Racie35 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:30 pm

DaveKennedy wrote:
Racie35 wrote:Just one...nothing like it to race against. Unless you think a field of like cars is cool..you could by all,liveries

A field of Chevy's... that's why i'm trying to make a new one each year.
So the idea of "hey make something different... but i'm not buying what you're currently making" is as you might imagine perplexing to me. Not to put too fine a point on things you understand. This is a frustration that's part of the territory but....

What's so perplexing about not wanting a field full of 57 Chevs? Harry's not entirely correct on the newer nascars...the scx dodge, chev, Toyota and Ford are different bodies...I agree shaped a lot alike..but different.
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:10 am

Re: New Carrera Bel Air #90

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:52 pm

Sure, very slight. But not enough to really give them that much character to me. I like the SCX NASCARs a great deal. But in battle on the oval they don't have the identity the classics do.

If I could wave a magic wand, I would definitely have a 56 Ford for that Chevy.

Or a new series of 80s NASCAR. Maybe 1979? My list goes on.

Guess if you don't like or need more than one, you just pass on them and buy the cars you really want. Or BUIlD what you cannot buy until they do.
-Harry

"They didn't say you couldn't" - Smokey

Image

Image
User avatar
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor
 
Posts: 13319
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: HRW Skunkworks

Re: New Carrera Bel Air #90

Postby Z-carfan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:13 pm

I'd buy a few of them, and use some paint and a few of the numerous decal sets out there to make your own fleet of 57's, those are really sweet!
Mike

"When you’re back there with the squirrels, you’re bound to get your nuts cracked." - Graham Rahal
User avatar
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:10 pm
Location: Galena, Oh USA

Re: New Carrera Bel Air #90

Postby Jesla » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:03 pm

I'm a long time Carrera supporter, I owns some 300 odd cars most of which are carrera
however I feel that if, in the case of the Capri, if you can't make a better version only
cheaper, will not get me to open my pocket book.

As for the '57 chevy, my first car was a '57 chevy and I have 2 carrera '57's but the
lack of a running mate won't encourage me to buy more.

Most of us run on 2 lane tracks and have little need to 4, 5 or more of the same car.
I know Dave is in a tough place but I've seen this movie before....Ninco or SCX ring
a bell?

Where are they now?....
Slot on, Dudes.........1320 and counting.....
User avatar
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:45 pm
Location: East TN

Re: New Carrera Bel Air #90

Postby Racie35 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:46 am

Not talking just Carrera here but really, when they come up with a car they could offer most liveries, but they don't.
Seldom do they offer white body's either like back in the day so you could do what they don't or something you wanna copy or create.
It's a strategy and we're stuck with them calling liveries...."new" cars.
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:10 am

Re: New Carrera Bel Air #90

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:24 am

On the whole, though... What a great place to be stuck!!!

I look at what's available out there and can't believe how lucky we are these days.
"Never trust a quote from the internet."
--Abraham Lincoln
User avatar
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"
 
Posts: 6527
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:16 pm
Location: Chesterfield, Virginia

Re: New Carrera Bel Air #90

Postby DaveKennedy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Racie35 wrote:Not talking just Carrera here but really, when they come up with a car they could offer most liveries, but they don't.
Seldom do they offer white body's either like back in the day so you could do what they don't or something you wanna copy or create.
It's a strategy and we're stuck with them calling liveries...."new" cars.


Any idea why not as many companies offer white body cars anymore?
User avatar
DaveKennedy
Carrera Master
 
Posts: 1152
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:57 am

Re: New Carrera Bel Air #90

Postby DaveKennedy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:40 pm

Jesla wrote:I'm a long time Carrera supporter, I owns some 300 odd cars most of which are carrera
however I feel that if, in the case of the Capri, if you can't make a better version only
cheaper, will not get me to open my pocket book.

As for the '57 chevy, my first car was a '57 chevy and I have 2 carrera '57's but the
lack of a running mate won't encourage me to buy more.

Most of us run on 2 lane tracks and have little need to 4, 5 or more of the same car.
I know Dave is in a tough place but I've seen this movie before....Ninco or SCX ring
a bell?

Where are they now?....


Yes I know exactly where they are... I worked for one of them as you know. I do what I can with what i'm able to do for new molds. I've not be able to get a new mold for a few years now. The Capri is a car that was suggested by the German (home market) folks.
User avatar
DaveKennedy
Carrera Master
 
Posts: 1152
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:57 am

Re: New Carrera Bel Air #90

Postby Racie35 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:01 pm

DaveKennedy wrote:
Racie35 wrote:Not talking just Carrera here but really, when they come up with a car they could offer most liveries, but they don't.
Seldom do they offer white body's either like back in the day so you could do what they don't or something you wanna copy or create.
It's a strategy and we're stuck with them calling liveries...."new" cars.


Any idea why not as many companies offer white body cars anymore?

I'll guess to keep you from being original,creative and having to use your mind on worrying about anything other than coming up with money for old offerings with different colors splashed on em?
Maybe you'll clue us in if that's wrong.
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:10 am

Re: New Carrera Bel Air #90

Postby DaveKennedy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:53 pm

No.. because they didn't sell well. I've discussed this topic with people like myself who are either employed by companies or distributors and dealers. All have the same story, sales are low because people tend not to want to paint. There are a few who do, i am among them but it's a FAR smaller amount than you'd imagine.
The last Nascar white cars that Carrera had in stock I could BARELY give away.... we had to discount them heavily and it took more than a year to sell even a handful of cars.
User avatar
DaveKennedy
Carrera Master
 
Posts: 1152
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:57 am

Re: New Carrera Bel Air #90

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:07 pm

Hard to imagine people not wanting to paint, but I think it must be so. There were so many white kits from Fly and Scaley at one time, and I wish I had bought a backlog of them. These days, I get cars used or on sale, strip them and paint away. I still have backup airbrushes I haven't used yet.
"Never trust a quote from the internet."
--Abraham Lincoln
User avatar
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"
 
Posts: 6527
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:16 pm
Location: Chesterfield, Virginia

PreviousNext

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests