[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Scalextric motor change question

Scalextric motor change question

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Scalextric motor change question

Postby slothead » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:48 am

I have a bunch of Scalextric sidewinder Trans Am cars that I love to race. While recording a lot of lap times it's become apparent at least 2 of them just don't have the oomph others do. This shows up primarily in a lack of acceleration on short straight sections and taking longer to get to top speed on the back straight.

I took a newer one apart and was going to swap the motor with one from a spare Scalextric Camaro, but noticed that motor wires go to the DPR plug, then up to the guide flag leads were they are soldered on. This is a completely stock RTR Challenger that has never been apart before. The Camaro doesn't have the DPR setup. All of my cars are analogue and none have the a digital chip installed.

Question 1) what would be the ideal replacement motor for what came in the Scalextric sidewinder cars? Ideally I want an OEM type part so it's competitive with its peers.

Question 2) how have others swapped motors? My inclination is to cut the red and black wires between the motor and DPR plug, and connect the new motor in there.

Keeping all my Trans Am cars closely matched is the key. Also, I'm using a Pyramid adjustable power supply set at 12.5 volts for all racing on the road course.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: Scalextric motor change question

Postby FootScoot » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:12 pm

All of the older style cars don't have the DPR plug, but changing motors should be no problem. Just unsolder the wires on your old motor, take that motor out, replace wih the new one and solder the wires back on. You can buy Scalextrix replacements just like the originals. You don't have to change anything.
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:40 pm

The new Gator motor at SCC is a very close and low cost option.

I bypass the digital plug on every car.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby RichD » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Before I race my motors I run them in on the bench and check the RPMs. About two years ago I noticed that the latest Scalextric motors that I had bought were only good for 20K at 12 volts. Previously the motors could read as high as 23K. I bought motors from at least three different dealers and they were all 20K. Obviously someone with a stash of older motors would have an advantage. The Gator motors should be equivalent to the older Scalextric motors.
The latest Scalextric motors have green endbells, I have not had a chance to test one of those, the supply of the older black stripe replacement motors has dried up.
Last edited by RichD on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mitch58 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:06 pm

I would just unsolder the wires at the motor and swap away. BTW, I've bought a couple of the Gator motors and they appear to be very comparable to the original black stripe motors. Also the Pioneer 18K motors are the same RPM but seem to have a little more torque and come out of the corners just a little quicker.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wobble » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:10 am

My Scalex Challenger was down on oomph and one of my cobbers had one the same that was pretty lame too. Maybe they just had a bad batch of motors when assembling the Challengers. I put a black stripe motor in it and it totally transformed the car.
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:06 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby slothead » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks very much guys - your comments solved this for me. I'm going to order some Gator motors and do motor changes in a few of my slower cars.

On a similar note, the two Scalextric Javelins I have with the new inline chassis seem to be both faster and smoother than the sidewinders. While waiting for them to be released many of us wondered if they'd be comparable with the other Trans Am cars, but I think Scalextric engineered them to be just a tiny bit better. Smart thinking on their part if you ask me, because as soon as I started running the #6 Donohue Javelin it was a slam dunk I was going to get every version they release. I don't know how much credit to give to the motor versus the inline setup, but it's a winner from my perspective.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Mitch58 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:13 pm

I have I have two Pioneer Trans Am cars (Camaro & Mustang), and Four Scalextric. The Javelin is smoother and faster than all but this '69. Every once in a while you get that certain Black stripe motor and smooth chassis in the same package and this is it. This one seems to be head and shoulders above the rest of my Trans Am cars. I should have sent this one to the Trans Am Proxy instead of the Mustang I did send.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale