[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Black and Gold

Black and Gold

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Black and Gold

Postby DaveKennedy » Tue May 30, 2017 8:59 am

So I've been thinking about something recently... is the black and gold "John Player Special", Lotus, Smokey Yunick colors the "new" Gulf. Meaning, do you feel it's as desirable a color scheme as Gulf and orange Jaegermeister?

This is my modest collection of cars (and my real MINI which i'm slowly doing in the JPS/Lotus F1-whatever you want to call it). Clearly i'm biased towards this color combination but I'd like to get the thoughts of folks here. I keep an eye on trends in slots and I feel that this has been/is a trend.
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Re: Black and Gold

Postby JULES » Tue May 30, 2017 9:53 am

It is a popular color combo Dave. Your instinct is correct.

Leaving aside any direct associations with Black & Gold (JPS cigarettes, Smokey Yunick, Hertz Rent-a-Car, Smokey and the Bandit) the cars look great just from an eye candy aspect and most times eye candy trumps bland decoration.

If you want to make sure your next car get's sold: make it Black 'n' Gold.

Jules
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DaveKennedy » Tue May 30, 2017 10:47 am

Damn now that I see your post Jules i completely forgot to include my Land Speed Mustang... crap...
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Postby arroldn » Tue May 30, 2017 11:10 am

I would also go along with Jules. The sponsorship really doesn't matter. Black and Gold is an awesome color combination.

Arrold
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue May 30, 2017 12:26 pm

Well I guess....
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby JULES » Tue May 30, 2017 12:52 pm

JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mayberryman » Tue May 30, 2017 12:57 pm

I am one of those people who loves the black and gold paint colors. It can be the 56 Chevy #3 that Smokey put Paul Goldsmith in to the famous semi legal #13s that adorned the chevelle and the Camaro. The Mario JPS Lotus F1 car is something else that I loved as well as the Lotus special edition of the Europa in the same JPS color. The black and gold colors made me an instant Donnie Allison fan when he drove that color car for Rodney Childers and who can forget The Cosworth Black and Gold Vega that was the one that was supposed to save that car? The one sad and true fact is that the older we get, black is not the best color car for old eyes to follow on any track larger than a ping pong table size.
Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby williamg » Tue May 30, 2017 1:01 pm

I remember seeing a poster of the JPS F1 car as a kid in the early 70's and thinking it was ''sooo coool'' LOL Then of course the Bandit TA when I was about 13 at the theater, had to see it again while everyone else seemed gaga over Star Wars.

The colors just pop together

BTW,
Where does one find a Bandit T/A ? I did not know anyone made one in 1/32?
williamg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DaveKennedy » Tue May 30, 2017 1:12 pm

The black T/A is now quite rare, Carrera made it years ago. I'm hoping to make a new one with a slightly different bird combination maybe for 2018...
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue May 30, 2017 2:13 pm

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue May 30, 2017 3:26 pm

Hey...what we still need :)

Hehe...sorry could not resist.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Mayberryman » Tue May 30, 2017 4:03 pm

Harry, did you know that Paul Goldsmith was originally a motorcycle flat track racer? Along with Joe Weatherly I believe that both had a great deal of two wheel success with Weatherly actually winning a National Championship for the factory Harley team.
Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:22 pm

That black and gold color scheme on anything just pops...and that #3 Chevy would be heaven!!!!! :auto-driving: :auto-driving:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 4380r » Tue May 30, 2017 6:20 pm

4380r
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby indidragracer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:42 pm

Here's my attempt on Smokey tribute cars. Scalex Camaro is a beat up warrior that never been beaten in a race. Lowered and tricked out with Scaleauto guide and Ortman tires. Chevy -55 is a Revell model kit on a Scalex Torino chassis and Revell-Monogram wheels. Pioneer Camaro lowered with Scaleauto guide and Ortman tires on custom-made alu rims.
indidragracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale