[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Looking for an ultra thin braid that is fairly soft...

Looking for an ultra thin braid that is fairly soft...

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Looking for an ultra thin braid that is fairly soft...

Postby BRS Hobbies » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:42 pm

I am looking for an ultra thin braid that is on the soft side. Anyone have any recommendations?

Best regards,
Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Looking for an ultra thin braid that is fairly soft...

Postby mikeinclover » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:15 pm

Try NSR braid. It is thin and soft.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:18 pm

That's a good suggestion for a quality product.

There are others. I won't bore you with the "usual suspects", but you might want to look at some of the pro-grade de-soldering braid that is out there. It costs a fraction of dedicated slot car braid, and works great. It is soft, all copper, and braided the exact same way in the same size. I used to use it all the time to replace Fly braids. You can get it just about anywhere. I would be shy about the discount joints like Harbor Freight and Radio Suck. There are tons of electronics suppliers out there, so you should have no trouble, but if you do, PM me, and I'll come up with an online source for you, after all... HRW rocks! Its what we do.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Modlerbob » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:16 pm

I use slot.it tinned silver soft copper braid but it ain't cheap.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:41 am

On some of my 143 builds I use desoldering braid as previously suggested. Works very well and is about as flexible as it gets. Another option is to use quality high strand count wire on the motor and don't use any braid at all. Just strip and run the bare wires through the guide.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:42 am

walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dogsbody » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:48 am

I buy mine from SCC and you can't beat the price and of course, the free Dum Dums.
Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:57 pm

Guess it depends on your personal preferences as most everything does.

I have tinned copper braid for my rails, I use tinned copper braid for my cars. Countless hours of fun and still there. Still strong.

Properly adjusted and installed, they LAST and provide excellent electrical contact.

It's normally not about the TYPE of braid but the proper installation and adjustment of it.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Hi Roland.

I prefer desoldering braid myself, but the high count strands do work, and have used this method on 143 60's F1 cars where there just isn't much room for an electrical connection at the guide. . The wire is a seemless conduit for the power to the motor, and works rather well. I brought it forward as an alternative, not knowing exactly what the duty cycle the OP is looking for.

I'll put you down as not a fan of this idea.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:51 am

walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:16 am

I agree with you Roland. Braid is superior in almost all ways, and desoldering braid is very flexible.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby reek455 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:39 am

I loved SCX Pro braid when it was available but is hard to find now. It was very thin and flexible and seemed to last quite well. I just bought some NSR braid and it is a good product as well.
reek455
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRS Hobbies » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Thanks you very much for the braid suggestions. Basically, I am looking for an ultra thin braid so the front tires touch the track a little more. This particular type of car doesn't have a lot of options for adjusting the guide height so a thin braid should do the trick.

Best regards,
Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JULES » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:42 pm

JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mikeinclover » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:55 pm

mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale