What would you say is the best Scalextric T/A 1/32 slot car?

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: What would you say is the best Scalextric T/A 1/32 slot

Postby ccobra » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:23 am

I would have to say my 70 Mustangs are the best but that wouldn't be biased because I have three of the Mustangs and one cougar. I just run them against myself or the grandkids so I am really packing the qualifications in today. :banana-dance: I guess I need to order a Camaro and Javelin to compare but I got this Ford-Chevy-American Motors thing going on.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby kelmac » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:25 am

Without a doubt the 69 / 70 Camaro is probably good on plastic but even better without a magnet. We raced with stock tires etc. and this car is a great performer.

I have some decently handling mustangs that I had to do some work on, but right out of the box, the Camaro is a winner.
kelmac

Postby SuperSlab » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:50 am

As per my March 13 post on the Javelin thread: all on a rather technical wood track no magnet (duh!):

"Hhmm, took the car (that's my new Javelin) to the races on Friday and it did not go all that well. A comparison of the best lap times of the Javelin and all my Scaley Camaros:

Sunoco '69 Camaro 7.50
69 White kit Camaro 7.49
69 Al's body Camaro 7.60
Sunoco '70 Camaro 7.38
Blue '70 Camaro 7.49

Javelin best lap: 7.84

So the Javelin is still quite a bit off the pace. Now I have to say that all my Camaros are well prepared and I have been running them for a while, therefore I have been able to fine tune them quite a bit. The '69 Sunoco car has the rear end braced (was chattering) and the '69 white kit car and 69 Al's Body car both have Slot.it axles, gears and CB Design wheels. Note that I do find the Scaley '70 Camaros quite a bit better than the '69's on Luf's track.

In comparison with the the settled nature of my Camaros, I think I was just too rushed in my preparation of the Javelin (received it on Thursday, raced on Friday). I definitely need to do some more stuff to it. Some for instances: I put a spacer on the guide as it was running too heavily on the front wheels. Now the front wheels are not quite touching: I am sure once I fix that it will be better. I also need to play with some weight as I don't think I got it right. And finally: there seems to be a fair bit of slop in the rear axle: will have to take a look at that.

So I do not think matters are as bad as they seem. However: my first sense is that the '70 Camaros are still the best on the track we run on. For now."

Updated April 1 (no, really....):

OK, so the world has rotated around its own axis a few more times, tides have come and gone... and I considered the Javelin's place in the world and made some changes:

1. I was really not happy with the amount of slop in the rear axle, nor the crown gear mesh. My good friend VTECFOUR Dan applied CA to his cars bushings to improve matters but I have always been leery of doing that: he is just way more adventurous and technically competent than me in any case! So I took the easy way out and replaced the rear end:
* Slot.it axle
* Slotting Plus Victors self aligning bushings
* Slot.it crown
* CB Design 15 x 10 insert wheels
* Urethanes glued and trued
* CG 3D printed Minilite inserts. I would normally have turned down the original wheels as inserts but I decided to keep the original axle as-si: will do some comarative times at a later date.
2. Because I also found the car a bit chattery and I wasn't sure the rear axle graft would fully resolve the issue, I also used some brass square tubing to brace the rear end. Belts and braces you know....
3. Moved the lead (about 12g) to the bottom of the chassis.

The car now runs much, much better: very quiet and smooth. Also significantly faster: got a best lap of 7.473 at our weekly races last night. This now makes it comparable to my two '70 Scaley Camaros. However: it is still a bit tippy, in spite of having greater weight added than the Camaros.

With a couple of major differences: both my Camaros still have the original rear axle and plastic wheels and neither have the rear end braced!

My experience is therefore that I find the '70 Camaros inherently better balanced: they are just that bit wider and lower and the rear end is just that bit more substantial and "tighter". While I have been able to get my Javelin to match the Camaros, I have found that my example of the Javelin just needed that much more of an effort and work to match the Camaros. I think the Javelin is more comparable to the '69 Camaros, which I found also needed bracing and a rear end replacement o be competitive with the '70 Camaros.

Note that I do not have any Scaley Mustangs so I cannot comment on where they would fit into the hierarchy.

YMMV and my personal experience FWIW.

Note all this on a rather technical wood track. And also noted that a lap time of under 7.5 seconds is pretty quick. For perspective, this lap time would have put it in 12 spot in qualifying for the recent local leg of the Ford - Ferrari proxy. Not bad going for a TransAm car...."

New comments:

On the track we run on, the '70 Camaros seem to have a clear edge. Out of the box they just seem to be smoother and easier to drive. I think the Javelin brings up the rear as it seems to be higher and narrower, making it harder to get to handle as well as the Camaros. I do not have a Mustang but in our regular races the Mustangs generally do not seem to do as well as the Camaros.
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale