[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Question about the Tire Razor

Question about the Tire Razor

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Question about the Tire Razor

Postby Modlerbob » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:26 pm

I finally decided to get the Tire Razor a couple of weeks ago and I like the way it works with an exception or two. First, why in the world did they decide to use a grub screw that doesn't use the accepted standard wrench for 1/32 cars. Nor does it use the size that I use for my 1/24 cars. When I realised this I knew I had to watch closely to not misplace the wrench. Well it happened anyway and it took me several hours to find it.

Second, is there a way to adjust separately the position of the piece that lowers the axle? As is the left side is 1mm lower than the right. I have reversed the bushings and the result is the same. So now I am down to truing one tire at a time.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Question about the Tire Razor

Postby Brumos RSR » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:57 pm

Underneath the base you can adjust the height of either the left or right side by turning the Allen head bolts
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:34 pm

I noticed the same issue on mine Bob, I went out and got a set of Allen wrenches at my harbor freight to adjust the base and motor. I luckily had the allen key for the grub screw.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby busterfla » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:05 am

The grub screw on the pulley is the same as some after market wheels (NSR is one). I had bought a set of metric Allen wrenches when I first started and lucky for me the one needed on the Razor was in there. As far as leveling the axle to the sanding base, just chuck in a Slot It setup (axle, bushing and aluminum wheels) and lower it down to just touching the paper and loosen the king bolt to lower the "high" side and let rip.

Buster

PS - a 3/16 Allen wrench fits the king bolts under the base (a bit loose, but does the job)
busterfla

Postby RazorJon » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:14 pm

RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby Modlerbob » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:38 pm

I was wrong about the wrench situation. After reading the replies I went back and tried my wrench that I use on my 1/24 scale cars and found it worked fine. I guess maybe it had something on the tip that made it appear to be to big. After figuring out the adjustment screws on the bottom I evened out the contact point for both sides.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:21 pm

Good. I wouldn't want the wisdom that led to buying an excellent tool to be frustrated.

I have several sets of Allen keys, having been acquiring tools for a long time, and I am fooled once in a while on Allen keys because one of my sets has a universal "ball" end on the long end of the keys. Somehow, that makes me think a particular one doesn't fit- I try a straight one the same size and poof- I'm an idiot. I keep threatening to throw the ball ends out.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Czar » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:31 am

If you take an old magnet (the long Carrera magnets work well) and place it on the head of the Tire Razor, you can conveniently store the Allen wrench within easy reach where you can always find it.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby beslotted » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:42 am

I do the same as Czar

beslotted

Postby Audi1 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:56 am

I like my Tire Razor. I've had it for 2+ years now and it's given me good, dependsble and consistent service during that time.

Personally, I use a Hudy to true my tires down to the diameter that I want: simply because I'm a little lazy and the Hudy does this semi-automatically for me. But, when it comes to finishing off my tires: silicones, urethane or rubber, it's the Tire Razor all the way for me. I typically use 220, 600 and 1500 grit (wet) paper on my Tire Razor sanding pads.

I adjust my spring-loaded side pillars the same way as Bustafla described, but I always true one tire at a time and mic them for consistency. Jon has published instructions on how to adjust the pillars, which are easy to understand and which provide good results.

Jon makes a great tool. I took mine to the Michigan 24 Enduro race this weekend and it performed very well - again.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale