Strombecker GT 40

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Strombecker GT 40

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:35 am

I was looking through my stash of old slot cars and found a yellow Strombecker early 1964 GT 40 Prototype. With the Ford/Porsche Proxy war on the Horizon, I thought I would build another Ford. This will give me a couple of cars to choose from before finally committing to which #20 Ford will get entered.

The chassis in use is the Lego Technics one I posted about earlier. This has PGTires, Pioneer front wheels, and CB Aluminum rear wheels with some resin cast inserts. Motor is the Avant open orange can that is rated at 21K at 12 volts

I opened up the headlights and kitbashed in some Front lights., I also added some detail to the rear with grills and exhaust pipes. I vacuum formed the Glass, as the original had a crack in it. The car is painted in BARC Livery in a mid 60s flare.

So bringing this old vintage car back to life was fun, and I now have another contender to test for the right to be submitted to the Ford/Porsche war.

Note in the last picture you can see the guide flag moved into its far left position. This was in the design to allow me to run 2 132 scale cars on my section of modifed GO! track The offset allows the cars to pass each other on the tight 143 slot spacing

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Strombecker GT 40

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:22 am

Great to see the old Strombecker body given a new lease on life!
Two thumbs up sir!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Mitch58 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:33 am

Nicely done. Gotta love the old stuff. My entry is an Eldon bodied Porsche 906 sitting on a 3D universal chassis with a Boxer motor. I'm not sure how it will do running against the scratch built brass chassis, but it sure is fun to drive and looks pretty good doing it.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby glasshorsevh » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:23 pm

Nice job on the Strombecker Dan. Tiny Alice is fielding this same body plus a Strombecker Ford J. We will be running a modified Scalextric Ford GT chassis under the J and an MRRC under the GT... at least that's the plan at present.

Val
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:36 pm

Looks great! Nice revival!
dge467
The King of Foil

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale