Different types of 1/32 scale racing

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Different types of 1/32 scale racing

Postby Mayberryman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:48 pm

In the past I have read several opinions about racing with magnets and racing without magnets. I will say that in the past month I have raced with IHSR with no magnets and had a blast. Last Wednesday night I went to a Hobby Town in Virginia Beach, Virginia and raced with a club who races everything in an IROC format with readings of 350 on the magnet marshal a common occurrence. Tomorrow I will be at The Barn Burners Slot Car Club and race CanAm, TransAm and Vintage NASCAR with mandated ranges from 200 to 220 readings on the magnet marshal. I have found the racing to be somewhat different at these clubs but the fun factor is constant. So, which is best? I think that the answer is that the type of racing that keeps the club happy and healthy is the best. So, I have found three different best ways to race 1/32 slot cars.
Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Different types of 1/32 scale racing

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:11 pm

What is best? Whatever makes you happy. It's nobody's business how you, I, or anyone else does that.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:06 pm

Yep, that about sums it up.

Had just as much fun with a mag than without. Large scale, small scale. Big track, little track. It's more about the people. Surrounded by good friends or newcomers, if we have a smile then that's as good as it gets.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby CrockettNZ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:25 pm

I have race on a large AFX track back in the 90's and that was a blast
when I got back into slot cars I joined up with HBMRC club along with Munter
this club started on plastic track running magnets with 1/32 scale cars and from the story's I have heard
it just got to a point where cars had so many magnets in them they could hold their finger on the trigger the hole time
and if they came off it would do major damage to the car
they then merged into routed wood tracks with no magnets

I love the challenge of non magnet racing
and as Harry said the people are the main thing when it comes to clubs
all of the guy's in my club are fantastic and the banter is top class
when you can all give each other a lot of stick and laugh about it what more could you ask for
CrockettNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:56 pm

Whatever trips your trigger. I personally like no mag racing, but some of my smaller vintage 143 scale cars get some magnetic assist. Just enough to make them drive like the larger nomag cars.

Insane speed, whether it be from magnets or wing thingies has never been my cup of tea. I guess my approach is more scale models that move as opposed to the fastest thing on four wheels.

But to each his own. The hobby is diverse enough to have something for everyone
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale