[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Older Fly Daytona Prototypes

Older Fly Daytona Prototypes

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Older Fly Daytona Prototypes

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:08 am

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:13 am

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby SpeedyNH » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:44 pm

the chassis from my remaining Sideways Dallara.[/quote]

isn't that sort of defeating the purpose? i thought it was to make the fly chassis go better...

-but i'm always impressed with your modeling prowess.
speedy
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:21 pm

Here's all I did to mount the sideways chassis to the Fly Doran. It took about 20 minutes.

I trimmed the sides and rear of the chassis about 1/8" and trimmed a ridge off the front of the chassis. I robbed an old body of a screw mounting post and glued it to some shim stock and then to the forward part of the interior. I also trimmed a little off the rear body mounting post to lower the rear of the body. That was it.

Also I just discovered that Fly put one ad on upside down look at front fender.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:49 am

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Re: a competitive Doran DP

Postby SpeedyNH » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:42 am

aha. now i see. :D
and after looking closer at it, i agree that this doran body looks excellent. a lot more like a real race car than, say the bulbous rileys: low, wide front intake, flat horizontal sections between the fenders, etc.. almost like a Nascar-ized 956. nice.
-and the upside-down brake sponsor sticker is hilarious! wish i'd thought of doing that.
thanks for the insight.
speedy
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: a competitive Doran DP

Postby Modlerbob » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:33 am

Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Older Fly Daytona Prototypes - My Upgrades

Postby Slotmanmoss » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:01 am

Used metal wheels with Ortman's on rear, Added 21gm of weight (7gm in center of chassis & 7gm each on tabs by motor). Also used TSR D3 motor with metal gears. Way to much for my track (Carrera on 5x12 table), But very enjoyable driving on the edge.

Alan
Slotmanmoss

Postby Modlerbob » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:43 pm

Interesting use of a TRSF chassis.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:45 am

On Tuesday Marty and I got our chance to run these two converted Fly Dorans against each other and I would call it a dead heat. We were consistantly running laps within a tenth or two of each other. Marty's way requires some cutting skills to graft the Slot.It motor pod into the Fly chassis while my way required some trimming of the Sideways chassis and relocating the front body mounting post on the Fly body. Either way you end up with a very smooth running Doran Daytona Prototype.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:02 am

Bob,

I totally agree with your assessments.

Actually, both of them.

First off, the cars are a dead match for one another. It comes down to the driver's prowess. I saw times when you would miss a braking mark and I could gain a slight advantage over you. There were also times when I would overcook the exit of a turn, get loose and lose distance to you. I'll sum it up this way . . . . . that was a whole lot of fun!

The other, being that there are more then a single way to solve a problem. Use the resources that you have available to you and choose the best way for you to make the changes.

Obviously we chose different routes, but arrived at the same point - taking 2 cars that looked great, but ran terribly. Now we have a pair of cars that not only look good, but run very good. That is what this hobby is all about, having fun, good friendships and having to think about how to do things.

So, what's next?
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby SpeedyNH » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:37 pm

make a couple more and have an iroc! :-P
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale