BARC Trans Am O2 Entry( question on stock motor)

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

BARC Trans Am O2 Entry( question on stock motor)

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:42 am

I had signed up and paid for two entries, but some miscommunication between me and Harry meant one of the cars never got forwarded to David in time to catch the opening event. Meaning I had an empty spot.

Meanwhile the Camaro I was waiting on showed up. So I got it painted in BARC livery and modified the stock chassis to turn it around quickly. I built a new interior tray and changed out the rims. Now I am going to send it off to Allan to catch up with the herd. Are the Stock Scalextrics motors legal??? I haven't done anything to change what the car came with, On my track it seems about right and is barely keeping ahead of my small can cars.

It has PGT tires.I am going to check the width and cut them down to size if required.

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: BARC Trans Am O2 Entry( question on stock motor)

Postby Z-carfan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:49 am

Stock Scalextric motors are legal for the T/A proxy. Great looking care BTW!
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby lancelotalove » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:54 pm

Agree, stock scaly motor is legal. Probably lots of cars running them. I am running one and I was midpack on the 1st race. (18th).
Lance
lancelotalove
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:36 am

Ok as I am getting to the show late with this car and it won't be spec's by David, so I thought I better go the extra mile. Checked the stock Scaley motor and it was tuning almost 22,000 rpm. So I changed out the motor to another 130 that turns 16000 rpm. It makes about 2/10 sec of difference on my track.

This was an older release of a Scalextrics I purchased, so perhaps the older motors were turning more RPMs then the current batch.. It just sounded too fast for my ears, so I got the scope out and checked as I wanted to stay below the 18 K max.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:03 pm

Run the stock Scaley Motor. Doesn't matter that it may turn 22,000 rpm. Stock is stock per the rules. The Pioneer Motor is rate at 18K. But the motor with the P in the middle is known to turn 20K, while the P at the side turns 18K. Both are still legal. I was concerned about this for this year and was told stock is stock. I could only find the Pioneer with the P on the side in Australia. So I am running the Pioneer this year with the P in the middle. I ran the stock Scaley motor last year and finished 9th.

You better ship today Priority Mail to get to Allan in time. Hope you are close to a late closing Post Office.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Yes I kind of wondered about that. If you don't have a tach it would be pretty hard to know what a motor is turning at, so I was kind of wondering how close people were following the 18K rule.
Even If I miss the next run, I will have there for the 3rd race.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:55 pm

Dan, You can use the stock Scaley motor; it's the manufacturer's rpm spec that's used for all of the motors in this proxy. All Scaley motors are manufacturers spec rated at 18,000 rpm. Most Scaley motors will actually turn 22-23,000 rpm, but the torque is low compared to something like an H&R Hawk.

You have plenty of time to re-change back to the stock motor, because Round #2 is this coming this Sunday; March 5th, and you won't make that one if you ship to me now. So, I'd suggest that you change the motor back and send it on to the track that runs Round #3.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:36 am

Dan,
Just noticed you were in Canada. Get that stock motor remounted and get that car in. 8 races last year and 10 scheduled for this year. You might be surprised where you would finished.

Allan get team Martin to the front.

Arrold
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:08 am

Who's Team Martin...................? :lol:

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:28 am

Ok I put the stock motor back in, and will ship this car to the third event.

Thanks guys. I was hoping this car would be more competitive then the 911 with the small can I have entered, so knowing the stock motor is fine will help in that regard.( at least I hope it will)
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale