If Pioneer releases a Javelin which motor configuration?

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: If Pioneer releases a Javelin which motor configuration?

Postby cobralvr » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:35 am

for me the 1970 javelin appeals to me for the historical correctness to the other trans-am slot cars released already by scx {cuda] and scalextric. Also there was more factory involvement and big name drivers in 1970, it was the best year for trans-am. The top picture posted is a 1971 javelin the bottom two are 1970. If readers do research make sure your seeing actual photos from 1970, not modern vintage race photos and youtube videos where they throw all the cars into a group race.
Last edited by cobralvr on Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
cobralvr

Postby Doubleshots » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:50 pm

arroldn wrote:Help me understand the desire for the 70 model Javelin? I think the 71 and later models look better. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Arrold

I had a red 1970 Javelin with a built 390 and 4 speed. That's why it gets my vote!
Vince
Doubleshots

Postby arroldn » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:21 am

Cobra,
I am aware the top picture is a '71. I was using it to contrast the difference in the 2 cars. My brother had a '71 AMX and his wife had a Javelin. Maybe that is why I like that year better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now back to you regular program. :D

Arrold
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cobralvr » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:30 am

arroldn wrote:Cobra,
I am aware the top picture is a '71. I was using it to contrast the difference in the 2 cars. My brother had a '71 AMX and his wife had a Javelin. Maybe that is why I like that year better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now back to you regular program. :D

Arrold

i had figured that anyone that took the time to post pictures knew the difference. i mentioned it for the "readers" that might not know since the first picture title didnt say it was a 71. to most uninterested peaple a red, white and blue car racing in the trans-am between 68 and 72 is the same car.
cobralvr

Postby slothead » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:51 am

Cobralvr - your comments highlight the reason it wouldn't make sense to me for Pioneer to devote time and money to developing a pre-1971 Javelin given the work already put into the '71 version shown in Jules' image. As he noted, we (HRW folks and the like) are a special, but small, slice of the overall market. Yes, we want what we want but unless market feedback suggested Scalextrix's Javelins (current and planned versions) quenched demand for this model, if we ever see a Pioneer Javelin it's likely to be what's already been in development. And, while Scalextric and Pioneer have released the same versions of the Sunoco Camero's also driven by Michael Donohue (Penske cars) I'm curious if there's enough demand for the Penske-Donohue Javelin for the same thing to happen.

When I think back to buying a muscle car ('69 Cougar) I also have to realize that was nearly 50 years ago. I'm delighted cars from that era are still so popular and available as new releases. That's amazing since the 'golden era' of Trans Am predated disco by about a decade and I haven't seen any light blue suede leisure suits in stores recently.

Slothead
slothead
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cobralvr » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:13 am

slothead thanks for the reply comment
it is my hope that jules do the same thing with the javelin as he did with the sunoco camaro same sponsor as scalextric but a different year and body style. pioneer 68 camaro , scal 69 camaro
perhaps to save time and money he could work with RMS slotcar bodies which already has a mold of the [i think]68 version, he would have to add a hood scoop.
i went to a disco once, didnt dance just partied.
Last edited by cobralvr on Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cobralvr

Postby BRS Hobbies » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:40 pm

I kind of agree that it makes sense if Pioneer did the 1970 AMC Javelin. The 1970 version looks more like a muscle car with the shorter wheelbase. Pioneer could release both race car and street car versions like they have with other Pioneer slot cars in the past which I think the 70 street version may be really popular compared to the 71 version and match the performance of the Camaro and Mustang.

Best regards,
Brian
BRS Hobbies - Large selection of slot car products! Free shipping offer! No backorders or delays!
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Racie35 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:24 pm

Whatever they do...they're late to the party at this point. Lots of those scalextric 71's are being sold .
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cobralvr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:59 am

check out all the javelins [AMXs] in the you tube video "1969 Trans Am Road Racing Donnybrooke Speedway".
dont miss the red one in the parking lot, you have to take your eyes off the womans ass.

'
cobralvr

Postby slothead » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:26 am

The #6 Donohue-Penske '71 Javelin is the iconic version of that model. The Roy Woods Racing Javelins (#1 - Follmer, #2 - Woods, and the # 63 - Collins) are the next best representatives.

With regards to earlier versions of the Javelin, the #3 - Revson, #4 - Follmer are the top performers by far, though the best finishes were six 2nd places and two 3rd places in 1968. When those drivers switched to Ford Mustangs in 1969 Javelins had no top 3 finishes.

If Pioneer makes a sidewinder Javelin with any of these liveries it would make for good comparisons with the Scalextric releases. And if sidewinders turned out to better fits with their peers Pioneer could do just fine despite getting to the party a bit late.

PS: Although I love the 'Pony Wars' side of this Trans Am era as much as anyone, when you break it down the results actually depended on two simple things - 1) which manufacturer had Penske building their cars, and 2) which manufacturer hired the top drivers (Donohue, Follmer, Revson, Gurney, etc.).

Slothead
slothead
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cobralvr » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:26 am

in 1970 the penski javelin only won 3 out of 11 races even though they raced all year. regardless it is my hope that jules finish the 1970 grid. as your watching the youtube video [1969]and noticing the cars didnt it seem like somethings missing from your home track? i think if jules did a 1970 javelin, with a sidewinder motor, it would have 2 selling points seperating it from the scal 71 version and any one time buyers. also with one mold with changes to the hood/grill you could cover 68, 69, 70 and as another mentioned the street versions. didnt the street version have factory sidepipe options, who wouldnt buy that!

slothead- check out the cougar with the canoe on it in the video i mentioned.
cobralvr

Postby cobralvr » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:08 am

Is the scalextric 1971 Javelin version really a big deal?
I noticed that there are a lot still for sale on ebay and online stores.
I thought that with the hype it might have sold like the mad max.
should jules add to the glut with another 71.
cobralvr

Postby BRS Hobbies » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:31 am

Scalextric must have made a lot of the Javelin. I noticed an eBay dealer has sold 110 of them and that number is going up everyday.

Best regards,
Brian
BRS Hobbies - Large selection of slot car products! Free shipping offer! No backorders or delays!
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:47 am

It's a big deal for many of us. The Mad Max wasn't for me. Just about every single race club I follow has people talking about this car, some good, some not. The Trans-Am series is a very popular one to say the least.

It's all a moot point if the CAD drawings and comments Jules shared indicates anything. It means that is the one he will do.
-Harry

"They didn't say you couldn't" - Smokey

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby cobralvr » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:55 am

hello harry
im a big trans am fan. i seldom miss a vintage festival at limerock. also have all the 1/32 replicas except a 1970 javelin.
since jules stated that he hasnt committed to tooling yet ive been trying to sway him to do a different body style, earlier version instead of a repeat 1971.
as a building contractor i know that plans and drawings can change.
cobralvr

PreviousNext

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale