What have Scalextric done with their new tires

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

What have Scalextric done with their new tires

Postby chappy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:29 pm

Well i spent a bit of time down stairs tonight just puttering , finished a few floor edge pieces , and before i knew it I was running laps. I ran my sideways cars and the Policars and some scaley F1s. Thenni see on the shelf imhad brought down ,y new Scalextric BTCC cars, The Honda and the VW Passat. So i thinkmi should see how they run a d what needs to be done to make them good runners.
Wow surprise of surprises , Both cars right out of the box ran li,e a new car except they were stuck like on urethanes. I guess i shou.d say the trackmis wood with copper tape so no mag effects. Im not saying these cars are screamers since i havent even loosened a screw, just wanted to se how they were out of the box and check the guides and braid plates. The tires and grip,were as good as any of my urethane tired cars.
I wonder what Scalextric has done to them. Loads of fun to drive , nice and smooth.
The guides were ok but the braids looked like they had been installed at the London Zoo in the Gorilla section. Nothing i couldnt fix but QC should have caught these things.
Anyway back,to,the tires, has anyone heard of a change in the Scalextric compound, not only grippy but decently round aswell.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Re: What have Scalextric done with their new tires

Postby chris » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:13 am

Yeah, Bob, I agree. Bought the Moffat white/blue Falcon and the blue Goss Falcon and did the same as you.
Just messing about and thought I'd give 'em a run and they stuck to my wood track amazingly.
So much so, that pushing hard through the tight esses I snapped the guide in half on the Moffat version :lol:
Chris.
chris
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:22 am

Tires do seem to hook up nicely. I still swapped them out for PG but kept the stocks in the case.

Guide issues, well you know how I feel.

Important thing is that your up and about and having some fun. Good to hear.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby JULES » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:53 am

There is a new slot car 'rubber' available as a rival to the more traditional offerings. It is a hybrid polyurethene called 'Supathane' and is available in a wider Durometer rating, anything from 10 to 80 on the scale.

It's hardwearing but grippy and maintains color, form and durability over a much longer period that the sort of tire you are used to.

We are using up all our old stock 'rubber' and moving to Supathane as standard fitment on all models from around May this year.

Scalextric may well be using this new blend.

Jules
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:02 am

Thanks for the confirmation and the info guys , i sensed something was up.
Just wish they would sort out the quide issues.
They take a lot of flack, mostly self inflicted, but a few minor tweaks at production level would be a cure for them. .
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Cincyslots » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:06 pm

Jules, are you sure you have the correct name?

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale