[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Wow, things have changed!!

Wow, things have changed!!

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Wow, things have changed!!

Postby FiveHole » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:00 am

It's been a while since I've checked in on HRW and the state of 1/32 slots. Tried to use my old login but couldn't remember my password so I just set up a new account. The hobby seem different. Forum looks great though!

Recently "found" all of my slot cars and plastic Carrera and Artin track. It's a fairly massive amount of track. 6-7 of the Artin 4 lane sets plus extra track and borders. Then there is several Carrera sets and boxes of more Carerra track/timers etc. I also unearthed about a 100 slot cars. Didn't think I had so much stuff, but there it was. I bought my first 2 Artin sets from Harry around 2003. Great fun.

Anyway, haven't decided what I will do with all my stuff, but I'm starting to get the urge to put it back up! Might sell some to make room for other projects.

Seems most have moved on to routed tracks. Also looks like some companies have closed shop and others opened.

Does anyone even run Artin track anymore? Heck fellas, fill me in on some of the stuff I've missed the last several years!!
FiveHole

Re: Wow, things have changed!!

Postby Guildman » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:49 am

I tried making a track with Artin that I and my son have bought cheaply at Sunday Markets, but I could make nothing but a small oval as there wasn't enough different straight lengths or curve radii to do anything interesting, so I took it apart and gave it back to him!
Sounds like you have plenty to get you going though. My friend built a very good circuit from Carrera GO track in a compact space, so it's doable.

Martin
Guildman

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:06 am

Welcome back.

You can still make a great layout with Artin just like before. But no longer a source for it, so if you already have some Carrera I would start working with that.

Yes many routed tracks. It's been a lot of fun. But still at home and having fun :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby FiveHole » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks fellas.

I never had a problem designing track with Artin. Of course I have all the R1 thru R4 radius curves plus the partial curve pieces. Sure that makes it easier. Sorry to hear about it falling by the wayside. It was an economical way to get into the hobby. It was easy to paint over the hideous yellow aprons to achieve a nice track.

Some awesome home routed tracks. Very impressive. I think you are right, Harry. I'll start playing with the Carerra track and see where it goes. There was a period where a lot of Carrera stuff was showing up on Craigslist and I picked it up at decent price.

Does it get better than at home and having fun? Doesn't seem like it. :D

Now to replace the tires that melted on some of my cars, which were stored in a climate controlled room. Didn't expect to find that little surprise. :o
FiveHole

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:02 am

It happens over time. Some tire blends have seen that happen, some don't.

Look at the PAUL GAGE and tire shop areas.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Mseitz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:36 am

How timely of your post. Check out Kemtron Racer's post about putting up an Artin layout. I'm eager to give it a try.
Mseitz

Postby Czar » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:18 pm

Home racing is what is making the hobby work right now. It really is another golden age - but home based instead of commercial raceways.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FiveHole » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:45 am

Thanks for the re-direct on tires. I see replacing the chemically unstable petroleum blobs won't be a problem!

I tried finding pictures of my track. Couldn't find any. I have a 16x5 table and basically filled it with track. It wasn't intended to be a permanent track, just something to run on. Not aesthetically pleasing but I spent many hours having fun.

Nice to see Kemtron Racer's take on the Dixon Hill's layout.

Are companies like Sloter, Spirit and SCX still around? Those are some of my favorites. I spent lots of time working on those "problem children" to get them up to speed!

I found a few more cars hiding in their boxes tonight. A first release of the Slot-it #17 Shell Porsche 962c. a few GB Track Chevron B19's and a Fly GT-40. Don't think the Slot it has even been out of the box. There should be a big ball of magnets somewhere since I ran without them.
FiveHole

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:33 am

Sadly those are all gone. SCX is still around but a shadow of what they once were. And no real North American presence.
NINCO is also a dead player. More concerned over RC and 1/43 loop to loop sets no one wanted.
In fact most brands out of Spain have either closed or are pale in comparison to what they once were.
It is now Flyslot instead of Fly and although they still make a few nice cars, again are not the force they used to be.

But with the bad comes the good. Not all brands self destructed and some have flourished along with a few new faces.

Today Carrera rules the roost with Scalextric, Slot.it, Racer Sideways. NSR, ScaleAuto, are popular among competition/commercial racers but you need a bigger wallet. A few smaller brand names like MR Slotcar, Pioneer are with us and have a good following. The Pioneer Trans-Am based Camaros and Mustangs are very nice and many of us have at least one or two. The price is going to be a little shocking for you just returning, but a solid car and worth it if you like that era/series.

Carrera has the lowest price point and that has been a major force in allowing folks on tighter budgets enjoy the hobby. I hear people all the time talk about how they miss Artin and the low price. Well, it is many years later now and $32 for a slot car is as good as it gets. And these cars run and look a country mile better than any of my beloved Artins.

Some dealers still have old stock and finding any of these older brands isn't too tough.

GB Track Chevrons! :) Don't hear that everyday :) Time to clean them up and get back at it.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:55 am

I think 3D printing is the biggest thing to happen in slotcars in years. Guys with ideas can quickly get them to market. If you check out the 3D scene in slotcars you will be amazed by what is available. Some very inventive ideas can now see the light of day without the constrains of a CEO and accountants getting in the way. Expensive production tooling cost and ROI hardly play into the picture anymore.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:15 am

Of course.

And scratchbuilding is now more commonly seen as well. More people creating fresh bodies in resin as well as the literal slew of 3D chassis. Parts to outfit these models are much easier to get these days and it's growing.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby DaveKennedy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:43 am

DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Postby oldspark » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:41 am

Looks like my post disappeared about having trouble posting pictures, is it normal for posts to disappear?
oldspark

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:32 am

No. But complaining how hard it is to post photos doesn't have anything to do with the subject.

Posting photos isn't that hard. We have been using the same technique for posting photos since I built the first forum in 2001.

Today you can also use the attachment option OR Tapatalk on your mobile device. So it is even easier.

I have made several photo posting guides. We even have videos to help. Very easy to follow. I have offered in multiple forums and times to lend a hand and assist.

I even have a forum about it and that would be the place to post and ask for more help. But no one does. They simply claim it to be an impossible task and blame it on me.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby oldspark » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:38 am

Sorry Harry but I did say in my post I wanted to post a picture of my Artin track so it was connected to the OP. I will look for your information, should I start a new thread somewhere if I still have problems?
oldspark

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale