Seeking Scalextric TransAm car advice

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Seeking Scalextric TransAm car advice

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:09 am

A variable power supply (PS) isn't the answer for digital unless you just want a PS with higher amperage for your track and you set the voltage to the required number and leave it there. (Beware: Set type power bases aren't robust enough to handle too much higher amperage than stock. If you use stock motors, you shouldn't have a problem but a properly sized fuse in the system is a must) I don't have Carrera Digital but I have SSD. My power base allows me to adjust the power level going to each of the six cars that can be run on the track. From what I hear Drewbert34 saying, it sounds like Carrera has a similar function. My advice, the stock Carrera PS is probably good enough for your use. If you get into some serious racing with a track running a full group of cars, you can look into power supplies later.

That brings us back to what is the minimum necessary to chip a Scaley Trans Am car to run without magnets on a Carrera system. They are:

1) figure out a way to install the chip. It will most likely involve cutting and raising floor of the full interior of the car to make room.
2) remove the magnet. Add weight as necessary.
3) switch to aftermarket rear tires, either silicon or urethane, your preference.
4) Optional (This falls under no mag tuning. It's a disease most slot car racers eventually get)--------- If you experience excessive wheel hop coming out of corners, do the super glue trick on the bushings to take out excess axle slop. Axle slop is due to Scalextric's use of splined axles. The same goes for running Carrera cars without magnets.

Have fun. My Scaley Trans Am cafrs are among my favorites.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:42 am

Yes Carrera has adjustable voltage for each chip. The power to the rails is constant. Running the rail voltage lower then 12 volts could affect your lane changers.

So no need to mess around the power supply. You might need more amperage at some point if you are running a lot of cars

Remove magnets, glue and true urethane tires, and add some weight will get you to where you want to be. Set the top speed of the chip to it lowest point, and start testing

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:28 am

Magnets cause drag on the car. Each car consumes more amperage to overcome that magnetic drag. Losing the magnets eliminates the drag which lowers the amperage requirement needed to move the car down the track. Multiply that lower amperage usage by the number of cars racing at one time on your track and suddenly you will find that your stock power supply will perform better than it did before you went magless.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale