[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Pipguide: a recap

Pipguide: a recap

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Pipguide: a recap

Postby CrockettNZ » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:06 pm

this is such a cool concept :text-bravo:
it most certainly adds more to the set up of a car
look forward to seeing more
CrockettNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:26 pm

The Carrera sensor is offset from the centreline, but something could be done

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:17 am

This is a very nice concept.

I have a question on it. If the pipguide promotes lateral movement of the front wheels/tires, then doesn't it also promote lateral movement of the rear wheels/tires? If it does, then I would expect a reduction of traction in the rear; more slide, which should add time to exiting turns. However, if the pipguide allows for greater corner entry speed, by, for example, dampening the effects of body roll, then maybe it all comes out in the wash.

Also, is there any concern over breaking the guide are, given that this is a 3DP part; sometimes they tend to be a little more brittle than injection molded plastic.

Can you comment on these points? Thanks.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby PipSlot » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:53 am

tnx Crocketnz!

tnx Allan! the material is not brittle at all, it is very flexible and, in my tests, keeps the same strength and resistance even after hundreds and hundreds of rounds on my wooden track. I tried to break the arms on purpose with pliers and brute force, to see how much it could handle, and it would eventually fold, not snap.

As for your first question, I don't know. I guess if the car breaks out with all four wheels, it would depend if the car is sliding sideways, or follows the slot direction, but more to the outside of the corner. The last scenario would mean that the car is doing the corner at a greater radius, which would allow a higher speed. Again I don't know, and I have read a great number of very interesting discussions around this on Slotforum. There are a lot of variables at play. What most people immediately notice, is the dampening effect going into - and out of corners.

cheers,

Pim
PipSlot

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

On my track I am currently loosing about 0.3 seconds to an equally equipped car. However I have done nothing to tune the front end, because I am not sure where to begin. Right off the bat it seems nose light. There is some vertical movement from the guide arm as well, and the front end is a little bouncy. I am going to start by adding about 10 grams on the front axle, and see if I can quiet the front end down a bit.

It is different for sure, and I think there is an improvement on exiting the tighter corners, so if I can get the front end to settle down I may be able to qualify a performance increase with better laptimes.

IMO the part is very flexible and within its range of flex, I doubt it would fail.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Drewbert34 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:14 am

With Carrera digital I need at least 1/3 to 2/3 or even maybe a full straight for a car to trip asensor reliably for lane change.

The Pipguide is self centering, no? That being said / assumed, I wouldn't forecast any difference in reliability of lane changing-ability.

I believe the biggest constraint will be space, guess we will eventually see. It would be cool to test on Carrera digital. If you.need a test person let me know. I'll donate a car to the cause.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
Drewbert34
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:36 am

The alignment on the sensors is pretty finicky, and the front ends moves around quite a bit. With adequate straight sections ahead of the sensors you would probably be OK. As you noted even with a solid front end you need space ahead of a sensor for LC reliability. This guide won't make this any better for sure, but agreed on some tracks it could be made to work,

I will be adding a decoder to one or my cars and giving it a try. I might get to it by the end of next week.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby PipSlot » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:33 am

@BARC thanks for sharing your experiences so far. Just to be sure, you are testing your Pipguide with that scratchbuild 911?

cheers

PIm
PipSlot

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:37 am

Dan, I really like what you are doing. I have been following your progress over at SFI from your early home made experimental versions. As already mentioned, for Scalextric digital, the guide mounted LED is the ideal set up. As you probably know, there was a fellow over in England who was producing those guides. His company was called Route 1 Racing.The last I heard he had closed up shop and on a quick check of his website, I found that it had expired. Perhaps you might pick up that mantle as an accessory to your Pip Guide.

I don't keep any NSR cars any more and not that many Slot.its to be honest. I am mostly interested in more classic models. Your guide would be ideal for the old style power slide driven cars made necessary by their bias ply tires and lack of aero traction enhancement. I will be looking at how your guide might be adapted to some of those cars in my stable. I do race both SSD and analogue cars so the application could be used both ways.

Great work!
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:40 am

Just to be clear, I am only a customer not the designer, unless the designer is also known as Dan?

@pipguide. Yes I am using it on a scratch built Chassis for a 911.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:16 pm

Sorry but I don't keep names from day in and day out in my head very well. Of course I referred to the person who started hand building experimental copies. Perhaps his name was Pip. Who knows. It is still a pretty cool gadget.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby clivearmstrong74 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:42 pm

Hi All,
Dan please will you post pics of the 911 with the pipguide? I would realy like to see how you incorporated this fascinating design into you scratch build. Thanx!

Cheers
Clive
clivearmstrong74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:30 am

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:18 pm

Looks interesting to me but I do have a question as regards analog racing. This system seems to me to invite a fair amount of nerfing in the corners when two cars are side by side. Also will racing rules require everyone in a race to have this device installed or no one?
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:44 am

Good observations Bob. This is very new so we will just have to see how well it gets accepted. There now can be some rubbing in the corners, and I personally think that this would need to be set up as a different class, and you would want all the cars to be fitted with the flex arm.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale