[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - HSRR McLaren M-8D

HSRR McLaren M-8D

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

HSRR McLaren M-8D

Postby Modlerbob » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:56 pm

Even though I have several (3) Slot.it M-8s when I saw the special being run at Electric Dreams my curiosity got the best of me. Right now one of the Edset 2 fers is a pair of the HSRR McLarens for $49.95. I seem to recall several years ago seeing them for nearly $100 each. I figure for $25 per car where can I go wrong. I read some reviews that indicated there are a few problem areas to sort out if one wants to race them seriously but that's part of what makes my slot racing fun. I had also heard that they were somewhat over scale to be 1/32 but one of the reviews claims it is dead on 1/32 scale. I will find out soon as I ordered the pair. I will be selling one of them to one of my race buddies here that is a McLaren fan. Stay tuned for a future update.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: HSRR McLaren M-8D

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:24 pm

They are set up really tight OTB There are tuning tips on the HSRR website. They are almost identical in size as the Slot.it car. They sit too high in the rear as they are but there is no room under the rear deck to lower it much. The motors are similar to Fly sidewinder cars. Other than the rear height, they are excellent looking cars. Bill, the guy who designed and produced them is a stickler for scale details. He lives near me and I have been to his place and have seen his other work. Most of it is model trains which is his primary business. It is all top notch.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:10 am

Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Jesla » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:42 am

Note also that the driver's helmet visor actually works.

...I know, I know, I just thought that was a cool little touch.
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby David C » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:30 pm

Nice photo: is there room for a Carrera chip to fit?
David C

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:37 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby SpeedyNH » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:57 pm

nice, Harry.
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:46 pm

The interior tub takes up a lot of that room but since I don't know the shape or size of the Carrera chip I can only guess whether it will fit without modification of the interior.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:41 pm

Price has gone up on them already.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Electrum » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:51 pm

does that have steerable front wheels?
Electrum

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:45 am

You would have to lose most of the interior to fit a Carrera chip in there. To do that, it would probably negate the reason for owning one of these cars which is scale realism. The interior tub when inserted into the outer chassis tub, together model the big riveted aluminum boxes one either side of the drivers compartment that form the monocoque construction of the real car.

Yes they do have steerable front wheels.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:52 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby WB2 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:29 am

Just a bit of background on Bill Peters, the guy behind HSRR.
His primary busines is Sn3 narrow gauge model railroad items. Check out the website, www.p-b-l.com, for a look at his offerings. Very detailed offerings in what had been a provence of scratchbuilders. He is the man behind Sn3.

For detail, that HSRR was well ahead of it's time.
I don't think they sold well, and it appears they were sold off en mass.

A friend said he came across Bill many years ago pulling a real McLaren on a trailer.
That friend is a Master Model Railroader (NMRA designation). When I told him about the HSRR cars, he immediately said "Get me one!".
I did.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby WB2 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:41 am

WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:05 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next