[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - On Board sound(Update)

On Board sound(Update)

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: On Board sound

Postby ChasMy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:10 pm

I'd be interested. Like was already mentioned it would be cool to me especially when racing alone. Wish I had the ability to do it but glad someone is working on it! Thanks!
ChasMy

Postby RV Racing » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:31 am

I'm in, and I would definitely be interested in purchasing your system when and if it goes into production.

Thanks!
Rick V.
RV Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:07 pm

I'm interested and would also like to be to choose between car types. On my road course I run classic big block Trans Am cars and Le Mans type GT's (just like in the movie). On my oval I run street stocks and big block dirt modified cars. Seems to me most people who love cars and racing are addicted to the sound of a burly V8.

While it would be ideal to have the sound move around the track with the car, I too would not be able to put speakers in the 100+ cars I use regularly for simulated racing. If a track had section timing it might be possible to have the sound move from speaker to speaker and follow the car. Otherwise, I think earphones might be the best bet as it would put me in the driver's seat so to speak, with the engine sound all around me. We'd just have to keep the sound level reasonable so as not to induce tone deafness.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. To have onboard sound for every car for most of us would be both an unreasonable amount of time an money.

Personally I am going to have a couple of 132 cars with onboard sound and also have a central system that is tied into each lane. I think the onboard sound will follow the car around the track, and at the same time have good quality sound coming from a 4" mounted speaker in the layout that will be playing the exact same sound synched up to the onboard sound to really provide a nice sounding effect.

The sound board has the ability to have other sound files loaded into it. It is a simple matter of hooking it up to a USD port on the computer and then using the aviailable software to download other sounds into it. So your can Have Porsche, Ferrari, Big Block V8 or whatever. I have built the Porsche file which I used in the Demo and am building a Ferrari file now. Big Block V8 will be on the list as well. My intertest is in Late 60 GT cars so those motors will be the first I do.

The good thing is this is not vaporware. The hardware and the Software already exist and I have used them extensively in RC tanks. I just needed one component built to bring all of this to the slotcar world. This has been designed and built with the prototype heading to me. So this will happen.

Now I told myself I would not yet again make a hobby a business so I am not sure which way to go. I could build and produce a plug and play system, or just do up a DIY Youtube video showing what you need and how to do it. It is simple enough. I could then just provide people with sound files to use at a nominal cost. The cost of each system will not be cheap, and will set you back as much as car would cost, so the reality of having this in every car would be a big commitment of dollars. The trackside option though makes it more palatable, where I guy would buy two or three and call it good.

Another thing I am looking at is bluetooth. So in each car all you would do is mount a bluetooth receiver and small speaker. A bluetooth transmitter could be hooked up to the trackside unit and the sound would be broadcast out to the car. This is much cheaper, as the car only need the bluetooth speaker. This option would only cost about $10/car, and could be just a plug in unit. Basic low power blue tooth has a transmitter range of about 10 metres which is enough to adequately cover most tracks.

Again all this technology and equipment exists. It just needs to be put together by someone, and I have decided that someone might as well be me.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Beast Lee » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:28 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing what you put together Dan...
Beast Lee
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dw5555 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:43 am

Wouldn't there be an issue with the Bluetooth if your running several cars at once?

Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:27 am

That might be an issue and if it is ,I will find this out in testing. I have always thought that there is a binding process with blue tooth. For instance in my car only my Bluetooth phone will tie into the sound system. Other blue tooth devices get recognized, but there is no conflict.

This will be a trial by testing adventure.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dw5555 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:28 am

I was just thinking about the Bluetooth in my car. I have both phones set up but only one can be working at a time.

Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:42 am

That is what you are kind of looking for. One speaker binding to one trackside transmitter at a time, Once you have one onboard speaker binded to the trackside transmitter, you want it it ignore all other bluetooth devices

I am hoping it works, and I have the Bluetooth equipment on the way to do some testing

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby burad » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:22 pm

burad

Postby proxieken » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:03 pm

On that link to the fly car is the system I saw earlier.

I do not know if it ever made it to market, but at least it proves it can be done. I would personally prefer a system that can be attached to the controllers and that powers speakers near the drivers. This creates the problem of making 6 different speaker systems.

But I can not see myself adding speakers to 60 cars if the sound is to be coming from the cars.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:26 pm

When I first started looking at this I knew that Fly had tried it, and I heard Carrera themselves had a kick at it. Because you never hear or see these in action I am assuming they were a market flop

So I am building a set up using the hardware I know, and I can build my own sound files, In both of these examples the sound of the motor running is not that convincing, I am hoping that the hardware I am using will develop better sound. I think the 917 sound file sounds good, but until I actually hear it in action with a slot car on the track I won't know how believable the experience will be.

Again I have no illusions of marketing this. I just want this for myself and if others are interested I will be happy to show how it is done.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:54 pm

2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mebrown » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:30 pm

Count me as interested. I like the in car Bluetooth idea best at the moment. When the video is posted I can give further input as to how much I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mebrown

Postby kelmac » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:25 am

This is an excellent idea. I would just go with a couple of decent speakers in my grandstands (like the old AFX ones) and be just fine. They don't really have to point right at me just be audible.

Kelly!
kelmac

PreviousNext

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale