Carrera E500 in 935/78....

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Carrera E500 in 935/78....

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:10 pm

Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd found a "super rare" motor in this Carrera Porsche 935/78 I'm tuning today...

E500 it says on the can....

Checked over at Slot Car News in Roberts motor listings (my bible) and here is the E500 listed with the E200 :)

Obviously the same thing, this is the first time I've ever run into an E500 stamped Carrera can, E100/200 have always been the ones I've worked with.

The Porsche 935/78 is responding well to treatment just quietly, started off with 2.9 second laps, really tail happy,roll overs you name it, just being a pig to me...

...Then whacked on a set of PGT's, dipped the motor, ripped all the lights and bits out of it (saved 8 grams in weight there), shimmed and trimmed the stock guide, whacko, 2.1 second laps, as nice and sweet a thing to run consistent laps with.

I'll go back and true up the front wheels and tyres now and CA cap them.

Am hoping for 2.0 seconds, we will see!
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Carrera E500 in 935/78....

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:31 pm

2.0 Seconds!!!

This is way quicker than I thought the "Moby Dick" Carrera's were capable of....

....I've decided to tune my Fitzpatrick Racing "J David" livery now, they are a nice slot car!
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:32 pm

I like the car but never really spent much time with it. Sounds like you have it going!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby buspor63 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:33 am

My PG tires( I may have the XPG) for the 935/78 have too much grip on my latex MDF track, KD's have the right amount of slip. I also have EVERY Moby Carrera released ..... some in duplicate....
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:08 am

Hey Busport,

I noticed that as well, I initially tried the PGT's with max downforce (mag/sclaey Sport track), way too much grip, have dialed out a bit of magnet (I like some tail out action nowadays).

H, you would not believe the difference a bit of tuning and the addition of these modern urethane tyres makes!!!!

I've got the second one on the bench now, just dipping the motor.

I can remember all the "bad press" that was about when these cars came out, what a difference quality aftermarket tyres and some decent tuning practices make.

2.0 seconds is rapid for a 90 gram car on our little layout. I ran a Slot.it, Jag XJ12 at the same time, my personal Group C club car, beautifully tuned, XPG's, stock motor water dipped and more mag than the standard issue one, 1.9 seconds!!!

A tenth is very little difference, yes its with mag but thats how many of us still race. Would love to run them together on the club track, the Carrera has way tall gearing and the Carrera stock motor (E200 in the second chassis) will pull it all day long (look at the stockers!)....

From what I can see these models are still "valid", until Racer bring out their version, the Carrera version will do me just fine :)

...And did everyone notice the Carrera attention to detail between the various 935/78's they've produced??? Look at the doors, the J David livery has the full-size door skins that sit flush with the wheel arches, the others don't....

Great work Carrera, love your gear!
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:53 am

OK H,

This is as close to a stock build as you can get...

...You will need

1 pair of PGT tyres for the 935/78 (I dont think mine are even the XPG compound).

1 NSR pick up spacer shim... ,005"/-.12mm

Thats it :D

This is what I did tuning wise....

True front/rear rims

glue on PGT rears, cut to 21.9mm diameter, profile a nice shoulder on both edges of each tyre. Pauls tyres will be taller than stock (22.2mm) if not trued, true them, .3mm is all I really wanted to cut mine down, its really low profile....

glue stock front tyres to front rims. True to 18.2mm diameter, again cut a nice healthy shoulder on both edges of each tyre. Clean tyre with electronic cleaner and a clean rag. Apply a CA glue "cap" on front tyres, wait to dry, sand to a smooth finish (I use a small hobby sanding block).

If your stock bearings are a bit loose, tighten them up using CA glue, REMEMBER to apply oil to the axle as a release agent. Its a bit messy to do, but the results are quite acceptable.

Check glue spur/rear axle with CA glue...

re-fit finished front and rear axle assemblies into chassis, glue bearings into chassis with CA glue.

Unsolder motor/capacitors, get rid of lights/brackets, reversing switch, just keep the long wires off the guide, they fit up nicely to the motor. Getting rid of this "stuff" will save you 8 grams in weight. I'm not worried about lights, my Slot.it Group C cars have never had working lights, I'm not going to fret about not having lights....

Water dip the motor.

Clean/dry/oil motor after dipping. Check glue pinion to motor shaft with CA glue (just a drop), watch the CA glue doesnt run into the pinion teeth, just a drop is all you need....

Replace motor, glue into place with hot glue.

re-solder motor wires.

Pull stock guide out of chassis, cut the back end off guide (shorten to taste), I round the back of the blade off to give it a nice "stock" look...

Give your braids a "comb"...

Click guide back into chassis.

This is where the NSR spacer comes in. Slip it over the end of the guide shaft and push it down over the Knob (hey baby...), it will sit snugly on the top of the keeper ring of the chassis.

Get a flat blade and gently open up the top of the guide shaft so the spacer can't work itself loose.

End result is you get a tighter fitting guide with less movement :)

Ok, the rear light/exhaust clip (black in colour), CA glue it in where its meant to go....

Chuck the body back on, screw it down tight and back off the screws two turns and you are ready to go!!!

I found moving the sliding magnet forward helped a lot to get a nice balance of magnet (set for max downforce is on the heavy side for me).

End result is the first chassis I did this morning did a best of 2.0 on our layout (only difference being it was the E500 labelled motor), the 935/78 chassis I just completed tonight (E200 motor) managed to squeak into the 1.9 second bracket....

Mmm, thats as quick as the #15 Scaley Sport '69 Mustang I recently did a review on....

Somehow, just somehow I think those old wives tales about Carrera models not performing were just that :D
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:05 am

...And they go pretty well non-mag on Sport track!

I took the magnets off one of the 935/78's, found it quite ok :)

Best lap of 3.3 seconds, was quite surprised, took the mag out of one of our Scaley FG Falcons, one tenth better :(

3.0 was the best non-mag lap I did in the session with an SCX Corvette, it never "made it" as a mag car for club, but without mag it is sweet on our layout.

Haven't put any weight in these models either, may mess with that another time....

P.S. might need another couple of shims H, the guide loosened up a bit this evening, will need a tweak to get it tight again.
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:00 am

I love them too bibbster, always liked the look of them, never sat down and spent the time with them till today, am really glad I did!

Dead stock they only do around 2.9 sec on my layout with max magnet, really hard to get anything good out of them, but wow, tune them up with or sans mag they are awesome.

Must admit I really enjoyed no mag, I think I might do more of this in the future....
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale