[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Scalextric 2013 range

Scalextric 2013 range

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Scalextric 2013 range

Postby Dangermouse » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:09 am

Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Scalextric 2013 range

Postby ListerStormGT » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:22 am

The Challenger is interesting....The Cougar too....More T/A cars are ok with me.
Last edited by ListerStormGT on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:26 am

Challenger, Daytona, and Cougar's oh my! Let,s hope they do a nice job!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Scatman1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:00 am

Pages 3-5 have a few cars worth buying.
Scatman1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:03 am

I missed the challenger thought it was another charger that should be nice the livery is the one mopar(Greg) did that was/is the header photo on one of the forums here

DM
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:52 am

I'll try to be civil...

I see several "interesting" offerings...

Challenger - If done correctly, could be a nice car. If not, we get a pig with lipstick - aka the new Charger Allison car or even the Bumblebee Camaro (use a 1970 when the movie car was a 1976-ish body).

Cougar - Again, if done correctly, could be a nice car...with NOTHING to race it against. Oh wait, it is a T/A car...it can run with the others. How about you concentrate on actually putting some cars out in the same 2-year period. Let's see...we have 1969/1970 Camaros, Mustangs, supposedly a 1970 Challenger...throwing a 1967 car in there really makes good sense. Well, actually it does...they are trying to give Pioneer fans something to run those Mustangs against. Silly me.

Let's also recall that the Scaley T/A cars were a MONSTER hit when they came out for years. Then, they refused to re-release the original schemes for years if at all. Almost 7-8 years later when the 1970 Camaro came out, they were barely mentioned. Abandon the market that really digs these cars, wait almost 10 years and make a few more in a pattern that makes no sense at all. Scalextric, if you are listening: I AM LOOKING FOR A NEW JOB AND WOULD BE HAPPY TO HELP YOUR GENIUS MARKETING/PRODUCT PEOPLE FIGURE OUT THE USA MARKET!

Daytona - a repeat of the above mentioned Allison car. Will have the correct nose, but will include the 2-ton wheels, exhaust tips, etc.

Unlike Carrera, who actually give a crap and spend some time talking to Americans about THEIR cars, Scalextric seems to rely on the historic races at Goodwood for how things are perceived and I'd not be surprised to see that they don't talk to anyone about these in advance - oh, unlike Carrera and Pioneer for that matter.

Sorry, I don't see my money going here. Looks like I'll be ordering my new Carrera classics today.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby FootScoot » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:01 am

I wholeheartedly agree David. I haven't bought many Scalextric cars lately just for those reasons. You just can't convince some people to do the right thing if you beat them over the head with it. They do need to hire you. It may give them some insight. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby dreinecke » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:07 am

That's my point, Ken. Do it right, or don't bother. Sorry, Trans-Am is in my blood and it just ticks me off to see it not done right.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby dreinecke » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:16 am

It is time.

While only prototypes, initial sales estimates have shown that if done with care, they can sell well ;)

Just the opinion of a little resin caster...
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby TsgtRet » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:21 am

DR I agree on your "pig with lipstick" comment. One can hope they get the T/A cars right and since they're both new issues they might....seems like the first car they do in a series is usually close to "right" (original Mustang/Camaro, 70 Camaro even had the clear chin spoiler, "Dukes" Charger) but then some bean counter says "we can make more money off these molds and the general American buying public won't know the difference"

Please, Jules, 2013 looks like the perfect year to kick Scaley's behind! :clap: :dance:
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:47 am

"If done correctly"
That's not always Scalextric's strong suit. I do like their Lotus 49b, and if their new models are done well, I'll be impressed. Interesting to see them dipping their toes in Carrera's water. They might pull back a bloody stump...
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby goosenapper » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:17 am

goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MoparGreg » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:08 pm

My eyes are bugging out! Is this for real? Challenger & Cougar TA plus a #71 Isaac Daytona. Oh man. As David says I sure hope they do these right.

Firstly the Daytona. Brave move after Carrera have been making Daytonas for 10 years. I have a vision of it now with a tunnel rear window & the same wheels as the #22 charger, Nice chrome exhausts out the back. Ah man what a monstrosity. Slap a nose & big clothes line on the back & you have a Daytona. If done right Im all for it, Ill gladly buy them all even if they have already been done by Carrera. IMHO for these to be done right the body needs a complete re-mold to sort that rear window out, new tail panel(just flat no tail lights), new wheels, new nose & wing. As far as I can tell only the chassis can be reused but move the exhausts to the side. Ill say it now, if they release what I think they are going to release Im done. Im outta here.

As for the Cougar & Challenger, I echo what David has said. Do it right!!!!!!!!
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:59 pm

Hey Guys!

There is hope here....

Lots of potentially good cars listed here. Great to see the Cougar and Challenger listed, I'm sure they will be fine.

Great to see new liveries of the Torana and XB GT coming out as well.

The #71 Daytona scares me a bit though, I can remember some elation when I first heard of the #22 Charger, now I wonder if Scaley can actually pull this latest model off?

Look, I'm a long time Scalextric fan, but in the last couple of years Scalextric have lost out big time to Carrera for me personally (by about 3:1).

I really hope this once great company can dig deep for 2013 and show to the hobby they aren't a spent force.
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:02 pm

I have found lately that Scalextric are a reactionary company.

Someone announces they are doing XXXX car - Scalextric rushes one to market that isn't 100% correct.

They are a funny company - they are making toys and marketing them to the kids and then they make some iconic cars to market to the parents - but they forget there is also a group or modellers/collectors and enthusiasts out there that buy their cars as well.

It would be in their interest to have someone like DaveK who is on the forums and listening to the enthusiasts - eg. Thet released the #29 yellow GT40 - when it was announced lots of people said - nice livery but it should be a MK1 car and your artist impression is of a MKII car - did they listen? - no! they then released a MKII car :( - they then made a big thing about the Daytona GT40 - we know we got that right well they didn't they put snorkels on it....

It is time they tapped into us enthusiasts out here - we are people who love to learn about these cars and can offer advise and feedback that would be valuable to their design and marketing people.

DM
Last edited by Dangermouse on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale