[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - What makes the Scaley John Deere car valuble?

What makes the Scaley John Deere car valuble?

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

What makes the Scaley John Deere car valuble?

Postby dge467 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:59 pm

I have a nice used one I was thinking of selling, and upon doing research on E-bag, MIB ones sell for decent $ :shock: . So why are they selling for those prices?
dge467
The King of Foil

Re: What makes the Scaley John Deere car valuble?

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:02 pm

Because with Chad Little as a driver, you hardly ever seen the 1:1 100% intact :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dge467 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:31 pm

:auto-swerve: :auto-ambulance:
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Cincyslots » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:43 pm

My guess would be production #'s.

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:17 pm

buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby rbianchi » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:22 pm

This phenomenon happens with many items. If enough people want something, the price gets ridiculous (remember Beanie Babies?). I have quite a few cars on my racks that are selling on auction sites for way more than they are worth, but if a few people want them, the price goes up regardless of what cars they are.
rbianchi

Postby TsgtRet » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:46 pm

I think, in this case, you are crossing several collector lines. There are the slotters (an unstable lot already) that says "wow a rare livery"; then there are the JD folks that will collect anything green and yellow with the John Deere logo on it (I know I have several that live near me). Put the 2 together and you have a scarcity situation. Oh, and as Harry mentioned, all the panels are straight.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:43 pm

Is it really valuable? Or just a little Deere?

Ooooh... Bad joke. Been listening to His Lordhip's jokes for too long, methinks.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby TsgtRet » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:14 pm

TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby racer6583 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:14 pm

no it is valued cause of the john deere and it was a one to two year contract with the second year option based on overall points at seasons end and that is why i think chad would push himself and the car a bit to much and end up smashing a panel or wiping out all together. trying to please the team and the sponsor got in the way of a good race car driver to keep everything going. IMHO.
racer6583
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:40 am

It seems that you have to consider the circumstances at the time of release as much as anything else. At that time, the only semi-decent NASCAR slot car was Scalextric, which put Scaley NASCARs at the high end for NASCAR fans. Of the liveries available at the time, John Deere was probably the most popular. Not to mention, green and yellow liveries were few and far between, and these things added up to the the car being a hot ticket from the word go.

Sometimes over the years, it's possible for other cars to degrade that demand. A good example was the reloaded version of Slot.It's Audi R8C. The availability of it dragged demand down for the other R8Cs, which had been in the stratosphere, price-wise. Better NASCARs have been released since that time, but not a better John Deere NASCAR. This keeps demand up, even if it's not the greatest or best looking car in the world. Now it has a reputation for selling high, which helps sustain the high price.

That said, it's been pretty volatile on eBay the last few years, and no matter what car you're talking about, you can probably wait it out and find a decent price.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby boopiejones » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:11 am

on ebay, it seems like timing really is everything. i've recently purchased some shelf queen type cars - the fly race damaged lola and porsche, scalextric year of legends, etc - and just a couple weeks later saw the same sets sell for literally double the price that i paid.

i've had the same experience selling items. i once got $1,200 for a stereo that shouldn't have gone for more than $800 based on what identical stereos had been selling for. i listed a bicycle fork with a $20 starting price and didn't get one bid. i immediately relisted it and it went for $65. just the other day i sold a brand new white kit slot.it and the final selling price was extremely low - $22 - which is about the same as the cost of a new slot.it motor. well that stinks. next time i'm selling a white kit i'll keep all the useable parts and just sell the body.

but i do agree with the others that the john deere car has a lot going for it - limited production run, distinct coloring, appeals to fans of slot cars, nascar, and tractors, etc...
Last edited by boopiejones on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
boopiejones

Postby ElSecundo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:13 am

Timing is everything on eBay right now, as you say.

I recently saw two Slot.It NewMan Porsches (the originals), both NIB, and the auctions ended 3 days apart. One sold for $150, one sold for $75.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale