[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Sometimes you have to go slow to go fast...

Sometimes you have to go slow to go fast...

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Sometimes you have to go slow to go fast...

Postby dreinecke » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:50 am

This is all Jim Troye's fault! I was on the phone with him and we spent a great deal of time talking about the latest cars we've been doing with the M/T motors.

After re-doing my GS Corvette and adding an M/T-1 motor to it, I decided to see if I liked it in my NC-2 powered 1957 Corvette. My concern was the lack of speed - but more on that in a minute. I timed my GS - 11.33 was the best lap and it was smooth and quick. Never out of control. I then took my black 1957 Corvette and put it on the track with the stock NC-2 - a 12:55 was the best I could do? Even with SCC wheels and Paul's tires, I realized the motor was too much for parts of my track and the car would almost de-slot or force me to slow down more. Hmm... the '57 felt faster, and I knew it was.

I've got an order in for some of the short-can conversion parts for the Ninco cars, and since they weren't here yet, I did my best hot glue job. Once the motor was in, I put the car on the track and voila! An 11.55 on my first lap, and a 11.45 on the next. No drama, no heart-stopping, slam on the brakes, moments.

Seriously? Well, ok, I do miss the old '57 fishtailing up the 24 foot back straight, but I don't have to worry about slamming into the wall at the end either. It now runs virtually dead even with the GS and is so smooth to drive.

So much for getting another car...I've got to order more motors! I will now remotor the Ninco Cobras, the Healey, and the other '57 Corvette. So that these all match. The only one I won't? The latest, green Ninco Jag. With a 20k motor in it and stock tires, it is nice to drive...but only does a 12.27. This car is a pig...
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Re: Sometimes you have to go slow to go fast...

Postby FootScoot » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:01 am

That is the whole point of a good handling car. It doesn't have to be blisteringly fast, it needs to be able to go around the corners. Any car can benefit from being fast in the corners. The straights will take care of themselves. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:21 am

Good job Dave.

It is crazy, but you do find yourself wanting more parts than cars sometimes. We have so many cars sitting on our shelves that just need a little love :)

Just ordered the same motors myself. Converting a lot of them lately.

Jim is a motivator isn't he? That is why he is President of the OMFG. He get's things done!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Florida_Slotter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:35 am

Ain't that the truth! I've always said, "Smooth is fast!" and I always seem to see that.

So many folks think that the having the rear of the car kicked out and digging is the fast way around the track! Oh contraire Mon Frier, it is not! Rather then digging off a turn with the rear wheels driving the car in a forward direction, you are simply wasting time as you are slinging the rear of the car around.

A good smooth power delivery is so important to a car - any car - to getting quick laps around a racing surface.

Why is it that all slot racers have all these motors with them? I can remember going racing with literally boxes of motors in my pitbox so I could test all the motors to find the best ones for the track conditions.

Smooth is fast!
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby dreinecke » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:58 am

Trust me, I know the old saying - It is just that I'd always been happy with my Ninco classics and their relative speed. Until I tried one with Mark's motors at HRW. Even then, I thought that the NC-2 was ok in them until last night!

SCC has another order for 10 of the M/T-1's in their inbox this morning.

Like Harry said, I'm buying more parts than cars now!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby jcis4me » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:28 am

Aloha
When I was racin in Calif. on the Hill gang curcuit, They were always wondering why I was running so "fast"? It wasnt a motor change it was the "PARTS" tuning and re-tuning using different gears and gearing down for the different track we raced on. My Classic cars all had nc-1's in them and my gearing, and was tearing up the track.
Same with the Fly Porsche 908 Flunder LH's Mine were unstoppable. I even sent one to Harry for a proxy something or another a few years back and it won!
In essence the fastest car almost never wins, the one that handles and STAYS ON THE TRACK! usually wins!
Aloha
Marty

NJ here we come! Jan2013
jcis4me
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:28 pm

nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby dreinecke » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Great...
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:59 pm

You nailed it David!!!

Sometimes the stock motors are way too overpowered for the chassis (sounds crazy I know), and better lap times are had with a milder set-up....

....I've got a "Reader Review" car on my bench at the moment that is a testimony to this fact :)

Its a real handful to punt round the track, but I know that better lap times are possible if it had a slightly less powerful motor in it.
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:24 pm

So, David, does that mean you've got a whole bunch of NC2s that are currently superfluous to your requirements? Would happily take 'em off your hands. By far my favourite motor for rally cars but very hard to come by these days.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby dreinecke » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:23 pm

Ember, I should have at least 4 and 2 of the ones in the pink wrapper - I can't remember what those are without looking.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Ember » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:38 pm

Pink wrapper are NC5, which was the replacement for the NC2 and has recently been replaced by the NC14, I think.

The slightly lower revs and torque on the NC2 makes them a brilliant rally motor for proxy cars. Just a little less twitchy than the 5.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Postby HRWJim » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:15 pm

David sorry if it cost you money but I'm glad you really like the classic with the MT-1. The NC-2 is a great motor but you have got to love the MT-1's in the classics. I have several more conversions myself. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:18 pm

Ember:

Perfect replacement. Close to the old NC-2 if you run low.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Ember » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:27 am

Colour me interested. Any idea of the torque rating on it Harry?
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale