Oldie, but Goodie! Rev/Mono GS Corvette

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Oldie, but Goodie! Rev/Mono GS Corvette

Postby dreinecke » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Since there are a number of us making these older offerings drivable and competitive amongst themselves, I thought I'd take a shot at it today. What takes Harry 15 minutes though, takes me hours... :oops:

I started with Jim Hall's GS Corvette. Sanded off the body mounts where they extend past the valance mounting parts, radiused the chassis, enlarged the holes to get some float, added Paul's fantastic tires, trued front and rear wheels and tires, and was much happier.

But...not being able to leave well enough alone, I swapped in on of the M/T-1 motors after dunking it for 2 hours in alcohol. I used pen tubing to hook up the driveshaft, used hot glue on the motor and bushings, ran in the gears for an hour, and super glued the bushings to get rid of slop.

Wow! Smooth, smooth, smooth. Dead even with my NC1 Ninco 356's. I have never liked this car more! Seriously nice driving. Still want to run it on the truer one more time as I've got just a touch of chatter on right turns and it looks like a touch of cupping on that side's rear tire may be the culprit since there is ZERO slop in the drive-line.

This is going to push me to re-motor all the Ninco's now that are NC2 and higher. Oh, and the rest of the Rev/Mono GS and Daytonas.

Looks like Dum-Dums are in the forecast! Oh Dickie...
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Re: Oldie, but Goodie! Rev/Mono GS Corvette

Postby olskoolslotz » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:57 pm

Last edited by olskoolslotz on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
olskoolslotz
"THE Champ"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:04 pm

That car is one of the most rewarding cars to retune I have. I've done 3 of the 6 I have, and liked one of them so much I repainted it, too. I used Indy Grips on one, SuperTire Yellowdog urethanes on one, and Paul Gage on the other. On my wood track, they run pretty close, but on another wood track in town, the urethanes leave everything behind, with PG's tires ahead. On plastic track, with no magnets, its PG all the way, but you can tell it has a lot to do with where the weight is centered. Either urethane might excel in any comparison. I like running them with Pioneer Mustangs and Scaley Camaros.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:43 pm

...Sounds like you did an excellent job on the tune David!!!

I've got/had them (I think some got culled out of the collection awhile back), they are a nice thing to run, haven't actually done a "modern" re-build though using the latest techniques :idea:

Will have to see what is around the garage....
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:57 pm

I regret losing these now more than ever :)

GREAT stuff. And I am not that good, oh sure I can tune a little, but I am no Jim Troye.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:14 pm

LOL, that's what I get for having too many Jim named cars on the bench! It is Mr. Hall's Corvette. Mr. Clark's Lotus was having the tires trued at the time I was typing.

The car taps out about 3/4 of the way down the back straight. My NC2 Corvettes blow the doors off it with an additional 4k of RPM. So, those need to be de-motored. What I really want is a full class of these things running nicely and competitively.

I suppose I could look at re-gearing it, but with a 9T Pinion and a 27T Crown, I'm hard pressed to guess at which way to go. I suppose for more top end, I want a higher gear, but love the way these drive on the bottom of the track. So, I'll leave it alone and just re-motor everything. There goes more money... Does Mark have a stock offering out yet at M/T?

I'm no Jim Troye either, but I can am slowly getting there. I'm just impressed I did my first front motored re-do. Love the Bic pen tube...

I'll do a Daytona next following the Extravaganza you folks did a while back. I really enjoyed reading about that.

As for Rev/Mono - their cars may need a little work, but when done these things are really, really nice. I LOVE how the stockers turned out!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby HRWJim » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:05 pm

I'm not sure who this Jim Troye guy is you guys are talking about but I know for a fact you have over rated him. I was just telling Harry on Thursday when I was there that these cars are on my short list. There just too cool not to play with. I can't wait to get going on it now. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:10 pm

Yeah, we need to get a couple going.

Right now I am really cranked up on these Carreras. I think a HRW Fun Run Proxy is due soon.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale