scalextric borders

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

scalextric borders

Postby Max_30_Characters » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi,

I tried to post this yesterday, but I had issues with the username. I'm sorry if this is a duplicate post or a topic that gets repeated a lot.

I want to build a permanent track with scenery. I have all the track I need, but I don't have enough border and the amount of border I need will be to expensive. I found this page when searching google: http://www.homeracingworld.com/trackborders.htm. that page lead me to this forum.

The page was created in 2004. McMaster doesn't even carry 2" foam tape anymore. I was wondering if this is still a good idea. In 6+ years the tape may have been proven to be disapointing with brittleness or pealing, or if I'm lucky it's still as good as the it was applied.

I love the idea of laying down tape around the outside of the track, but if there is a better way I want to hear it.

Also what is the exact height of a scalextric sport track?

I'll have a lot more questions, but I want to take baby steps.

Thanks
Max_30_Characters

Re: scalextric borders

Postby Dundee Denny » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:56 pm

I buy foamcore from hobby lobby with their online 40% off coupons and use anexacto knife to create whatever i need for curves in the past, right now I don't have any example to send you.

The board comes in black, gray, brown, etc, so you create different turnouts.

Usually had to do a small build up with posterboard, but always worked great for me!!

Easy to change out whichg is great for me because I move my track configuration like people change their socks!!!

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby raceeng18 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:23 am

I've used model railroad track road bed. The size for HO trains worked great. It is made of cork and is very flexible. If I remember correctly, I had to use a piece of N scale roadbed under neath to bring the roadbed even to my Scalextric sport track but you could use something else. I painted it black and glued it with Elmers yellow glue. Hope this helps.

Joe F.
raceeng18
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Max_30_Characters » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:22 pm

I've read that cork isn't very good, because it gets brittle and doesn't hold up to the abuse from the slot cars. Is that wrong, or is the cork used in the road bed treated differently?

I know my limitations and percision cutting is one of them. I don't want to deal with trying to cut material to match the bends and then having to use putting to fill in the gaps and jagged edges. But I like Dundee's suggestion to use poster board to build up the border then cover up the sloppily cut boards with a flexible material like cork or foam tape.
Max_30_Characters

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale