HRW 2015 SCOTY Awards

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

HRW 2015 SCOTY Awards

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:50 pm

Every year we like to recognize the products and brands we feel deliver us the best. From the cars to tools, it's just our way of shining a light on the past year.

Now REMEMBER, this is just OUR list. Based mostly on my own personal thoughts, but also from the feedback I have received from many enthusiasts over the past year. I am sure YOU have your own picks and we invite you to share your own.

So without further delay, the coveted HRW 2015 Slot Car Of The Year Awards (SCOTY) :)

Might as well kick things off with our easy pick for manufacturer. Carrera has no doubt earned it in my opinion.

But let's summarize it. NO one else offers all this company does. 3 scales, digital, and still the best track system in our hobby. Looking at the new releases this past year in 1/32 would have given them the win regardless. From the re-releases of the Classic Vette and MONZA, to the latest 917K and Corvette C7R, they gave us plenty to be happy with. The DTM series is fast becoming a big favorite in many clubs as well as good old home racing. But my personal favorite was the latest 57 Chevrolet that was based on a paint scheme created by Robert Livingston many years ago. Just seeing a slot car come to us that was inspired by one of our own pegs out the cool meter.

Just as significant is the work Carrera of America does throughout the year PROMOTING our hobby. Not sure how many events our own Dave Kennedy has held this year, but every one they have done has exposed our great hobby to those that may not have known it's existence. There is no other slot car company that does all of this here on our side of the pond.

Award justly earned.

Slot Car Of The Year
Criteria: NEW mold. Not just a new paint job.

This was not an easy choice. This car wins over the 917K only because it has never been done before and that the modern GT series really needed a CHEVY that looked and ran this good.
Excellent scale detail, overall finish, and don't forget how affordable it is.
Carrera C7R Review

Runner Up #1
Criteria: Old or new mold.

You had to see this coming :) The only bad thing about this release for me is that I am done with the Camaro's. Nothing can top this one :auto-checkeredflag:
Pioneer Camaro Review

This iconic car never gets too old for us. The behind the scenes action of how it came to be is just the gravy on the biscuits. It looks like the classic race car we wanted and it keeps the classic series alive and well. Speaking of that series...umm, well let's move on shall we?
Carrera 57 Review

New Award - Excellence in 3D

Seems 3D is all the rage. One company that stood out this year was CG Slotcars. They made one cool car and offer some great chassis options some of you are enjoying.
CG Slotcars Review

Best Resins

Our own "Doc" wins again this year and well earned. His castings are second to none in quality and his service is top notch. The latest Corvair is a cool customer and his efforts in the Trans-Am and Can-Am areas are still impressing newcomers.

Runner Up - BOB TAYLOR & Shotgun Dave
Ok, these guys deserve a nod. There are quite a few of you who have a jalopy body thanks to the work these guys have done. Bob alone has sent out quite a few bodies to folks on HRW and even brought plenty to hand out at our race events.

Home grown home racers who make the cars some of us old oval racers really want. I think most all would agree that these guys earned a big THANK YOU!

Slot Car Tools

Our own RazorJon and his RAZOR are without a doubt our top tool. Made right here, supported right here.
Razor Review

RUNNER UP

Watch on youtube.com

I have had this Dremel for one full year and it has proven to be the best cordless Dremel I have owned. In fact, it has replaced the corded model and has built quite a few cars this year. It holds a strong charge for longer than you would think and takes up a small footprint on the table.

BEST WHEELS

No contest. The guys at CB Design are still #1.
And for an unprecedented 5th year. No surprise for those discerning enthusiasts who require the best in accuracy and performance. With more sizes, colors, and styles joining the range, this wheel system is still tops in our slotbox.

Best Tires - SILICONES
Silicone tire enthusiasts have spoken. Quick Slicks is the brand of choice in silicone and with good reasons. From the quality in mold tolerances to the constant additions of new sizes, the brand is fast to establish itself as the best. Combine that with the superior service, the checkered flag was easy to wave.

Best Tires - Urethane
Easy win once again. Who else? We all know the great work Paul does for us and his efforts earn him top billing. It's the #1 tire most advise around here and the only blend we use here.

Best Motor
This motor is really an impressive outfit. It's fast enough for the speed freaks, yet has a milder low end for good control in the tight sections. I cannot count the emails I have about this motor. It doesn't hurt that it's actually affordable.

:auto-checkeredflag: :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-checkeredflag:

Finally I want to thank all the folks who help make HRW a great place to talk about our hobby.
That means YOU :) The help you give others is priceless and it's what makes a great forum.
-Harry

"They didn't say you couldn't" - Smokey

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: HRW 2015 SCOTY Awards

Postby mikeinclover » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:00 pm

Great list this year Harry. I must say I agree with you on all of them that I have used. I must say I agree whole heartedly with the choice of Carrera and the C7R Corvette.
Mike
Clover Leaf Racing
7746 Clyde Road
Fenton MI 48430 U.S.A.
313-473-SLOT
web site: http://cloverleafracing.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cloverleafracing
YouTube Chanel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CLR132slots?feature=watch
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rleog » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:13 pm

Excellent products; excellent choices for awards.

Here's a hearty "congratulations" to "The Team" at Changing Gearz, whose products have really delivered the results for me this year.

Well done to all.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby oldtymer » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:40 pm

Great write up Harry..You continue to put alot of time and effort into making this hobby interesting and fun. Many people have brought together because of your hard work and the support of many great sponsors.My hat is off to you my friend you truly make this hobby what it is GROWN MEN PLAYING WITH TOY CARS and I love it !!!
Thanks again to you ,Cindy and all the sponsers
Fred Aka Pickles
oldtymer
Cat Lovers Club Prez

Postby ShotgunDave » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:08 pm

Holy moly! Runner Up with Mr. Taylor?!?! Wow! I'm not worthy!

Thanks again Boss for all your hard work. I don't think most people know just what you put into this place but I sure do.

I wholeheartedly agree with all the picks this year (except for me anyway) That Carrera #16, 57 Chevy is my all time favorite. Nice work everyone, it's a privilege to have you all here.

We are indeed very lucky in this, our chosen hobby.
ShotgunDave
Connoisseur of Rust

Postby JULES » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:32 pm

"Drat, drat and double drat! And darn that pesky Carrera!.......Muttley!!, do something."

"sassinfrassinrassinHRdoubleyah".

(Runner Up #1 place much appreciated. Thanks. Jules)
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:06 pm

Wow I'm tool of the year again

Thanks Harry for putting the Razor on top
Thanks to all of you guys that support us
Big yell out to all the other Scoty winners

I am very proud of this

Thx again

RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby Gameover » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:42 pm

Well deserved by all you won and the runner ups!
Gameover
HRW Gameshow Host

Postby dge467 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:34 pm

Congratulations everyone!!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby DaveKennedy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:45 pm

Thanks Harry and congrats to the folks that we share this list with. This is an interesting time in slots I think. With the rise of folks like CG Slots, Paul Gage, Dave's excellent resins, and of course my friends at Quick Slicks... yes the best silicone tires on the market... it's a great time for slotters where we have a great range from the larger slot companies to the niche manufacturers making perfectly developed products that help satisfy the range of needs of slot racers HERE in North America again.

I've said in another thread that we appreciate folks supporting Carrera by buying our products. And yes... even having sharp criticism of our products, yes it does make us work harder to make products that better represent what you want. Really.. it does. I'm not able to say what we're making next year but trust me guys, it WILL be a year that I think will have something for everyone if you're a fan of Carrera. If you're not a fan of Carrera, I really do think we will earn your business.
Thanks from me and our president Ed, and the whole Carrera team.
Dave K
Last edited by DaveKennedy on Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Kennedy
North American Marketing Manager & Resident Slot Car Nerd
Carrera of America
http://www.carrera-toys.com/us
https://www.facebook.com/CarreraofAmerica

DaveKennedy
Carrera Master

Postby DaveKennedy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:49 pm

JULES wrote:"Drat, drat and double drat! And darn that pesky Carrera!.......Muttley!!, do something."

"sassinfrassinrassinHRdoubleyah".

(Runner Up #1 place much appreciated. Thanks. Jules)

cough..cough... maybe something in a Legends car for 2016... cough... cough... hint.. hint...

:twocents-mytwocents:
DaveKennedy
Carrera Master

Postby JULES » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:22 pm

You're right Dave.

Hopefully, getting the Legends out in early 2016 will get you beat.

Maybe.

Jules
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:55 am

Great list of award winners! :text-bravo:

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Flytoo » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:45 am

Hats off to all of the winners and thanks for all you do!
Flytoo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:43 am

You have to hand it to Carrera :text-bravo:
There was a time about 10-15 years ago, they weren't as popular as Fly, Scalextric, Slot.It, Ninco or SCX back then.
Scalextrix and Slot.It are still making some great cars, but Carrera has really improved their product tremendously, and kept their prices reasonable while doing so. I don't have their latest Corvette, but the latest one I've bought (the Stihl liveried Mercedes DTM) ran really smooth straight from the box. All I've done is put PG tires on the rear, and it keeps up with other cars that I've upgraded with Slot.It parts. Well done Carrera!
Having said that, I personally don't like that you have to buy a digital version if you want lights. I also don't care for their current guide system. Just seems really bulky and more complex than it needs to be. But do like the fact they include a spare blade for other brands of track. As I said, they are doing a really good job, just not perfect (yet) :D

I've spoken with Matt of CG Slotcars and seen some of his prototypes. They weren't perfect, but each one showed improvements which led into making ones that could be sold to customers. I got a sense of the amount of work it takes to take an idea and bring it to reality where customers could have it. I can't imagine the work it took to bring the Chaparral to life, but it shows he's willing to do what it takes to make a great product. :auto-checkeredflag:

I've been involved with the CBD line of wheels, so I've seen what it takes to make these awesome wheels. I've also seen the dedication and effort that it takes. The guys behind these are truly dedicated to making the best wheels out there. The same dedication and effort also goes into making the Quick Slick line of tires. They've accomplished a lot in a short time. Well done to CBD, SCC, SCCC and Cloverleaf!! :auto-checkeredflag:

Paul Gage... Yep, great tires, great service, and great guy to talk to. And understands what his customers want. :auto-checkeredflag:

The Piranha motor... Simply just an awesome all around motor at a great price. :auto-checkeredflag:

Other notables I feel deserve being mentioned are Racer with their Group 5 line up, NSR for continuing on after the loss of one of the founders and Scalextric for re-releasing their early TA cars and also the vintage F1 cars. :auto-checkeredflag:
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale