SCX COT NASCARS, a holiday Tuning frenzy....

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

SCX COT NASCARS, a holiday Tuning frenzy....

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:07 pm

G'day Guys,

I know this will seem like preaching to the "converted" but I honestly haven't messed around with SCX COT Nascars before....

....As a matter of fact I haven't tuned or raced any of the modern NASCARS for many years now! I know its quite sick, I watch them a lot on the TV, but we seem to focus more on the Scalextric V8 Supercar class both here at home and on the local club scene.

Time to change this fact, bring on the Nascars :)

My wifes Camry Nascar. The reason for her choosing this particular livery? She has always owned Toyotas and she likes M&M's! My son Jake thinks its funny Chrissy loves Toyotas, they seem to enjoy arguing about it...

Son Jakes Ford Fusion. His reason for choosing this livery? He loves Fords. What is the Duck about? He hasn't got a clue, he just likes Fords.....(Quack, known forevermore as "DUCK BOY")!

My Cat Chev. Do I like Chev's? No, not particularly BUT I like CAT products and I LOVE THIS LIVERY....

The "loaner" car for visitors, #29 Reese's Chev. We know what Rheem is about but what the heck is Reese's?????

Tuning them was very straightforward, water dip the motors, swap out the RX-42's that some of these cars come with for the better "RX-42B" versions, either PGT or Yellow dogs on the tail, ten tooth pinions all round and the usual tuning procedures as found and promoted here at HRW and we were away.

Very nice results, the four RX-42B motors had a 600 RPM variance after tuning, 10,400RPM to 11,000RPM (Chrissy's Camry) at the rear wheels.

Lap times were nothing short of brilliant (and consistent across all four models), best lap was the Camry (extra RPM does help :) ) with a 2.0 second time, the other three were in the 2.1 seconds. Naturally the cars would spread out a little in lap times on larger tracks but for home racing these results can't honestly be bettered, what an excellent basis for a class of home racing!!!

I've been bitten by the bug now, will tune up some more Nascars over the Christmas break.....
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: SCX COT NASCARS, a holiday Tuning frenzy....

Postby ourwayband » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Cool looking cars and they are a ton of fun to run!!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:46 pm

Those SCX Nascars are my favorites out of all of the cars I have. I have more of them than anything else. They are about as smooth smooth and predictable car one can get to drive. As for the duck, I guess you would have to be exposed to American television to know about that. The duck pitches Aflac Insurance in advertisements on the tele over here.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:25 pm

This is pretty good stuff here "mate".

Like Mike, these cars are some of my all time favorites. I have them all and still buy extras when they pop up.

On our oval we have tuned them where we have exactly what you are wanting: close home racing. The beatings these cars take, yet still going strong are why they still are fun for me.

Reese's are a candy here...ya had to know that :)

And "The Duck"...well that's another story. Carl is a Missouri boy, and I rooted for him of course...but there is just now way you can be cool with a duck on your car. :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:59 am

:)

Ok, now this is the truth, we thought Reese's were like Cheeto's cheese chip thingys for some reason (So there you go H, we didnt have a clue on that one!).

Nope, no way you can be cool with a duck on the side of your car, even if Jake is beating us (which is often), "Duck Boy" is alive and well down here :)

Guys, I totally agree with you regarding smoothness, durability and just plain fun, the SCX Nascars are brilliant, they also run darned quick on our home layout, pretty much as quick as our Scaley FG Falcon V8 Supercar, they are the bomb in V8 Supercar class and the SCX Nascars run the same times but weigh a fair bit more, I think that is very neat!

At home here we actually watch more Nascar on the TV than V8 Supercar. I know its strange (as I see the horde of Aussies assembling outside my front door to lynch me), but Chrissy, Jake and I actually like watching Nascar racing, its fast paced, colourful, and exciting. The liveries are also excellent and as can be seen, we enjoy trying to decipher some of the less known ones....

....I think Marcus Ambrose has been the best thing for NASCAR to "grow" their racing here in Australia, he was brilliant in V8 Supercar, but man does he struggle on the ovals! Just goes to show its an achievement to win ANY oval race in the US.

Although we know very little about the 1:1 version, I figure we may as well enjoy it in scale at home.
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:03 pm

G'day Guys,

With the SCX COT cars done I thought I would search around for other Nascars to tune.....

I really like Mopars racing in NASCAR, and what an iconic livery for this #9 car, very stunning!

The SCX aero Dodge copped the same make-over that I gave the COT cars except this model got a little bit of help the "Smokey Yunick" way :)

The motor is an RX-42 can with the 23,000RPM Pro arm and mags put in it....

....The ohm reading on the poles of this particular comm wasn't so even, I could only get 11,800RPM out of it at the back wheels, it had been sitting around in my parts bin for awhile.

Not cutting edge for club comp, but plenty good enough for our home racing, I put it in the #9 car, best lap of 1.9 seconds which is fairly hooting around our small layout (equal to the Scaley Sport Mustang I did a retro Review in the Readers Reviews here).

Nothing at all wrong with SCX cars if you give them a bit of your time (and a little subtle "variation" from stock as well).....
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:47 pm

They are that indeed Mick!!!

This one is ballistic, eats our Scaley Supercars no problems :)
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:58 pm

"An inexpensive riot."

I like that :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:23 pm

...He's good isnt he????

I wanted that line for me......
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:14 pm

Yes Mick,

My most gracious thanks is extended to you :)

Can we let Harry use it just on Thanksgiving Day (or "Lets butcher a big bird with sharp knives Day")????...

Mick, check out the SCX Honda mate ;)

Should've gone the BBS rims I fear....
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:37 am

No I don't Mick,

But I did see one kicking around in the Specials section at Cincy the other day.....
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby smallblockhero » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:35 am

i kinda stay away from modern cars but my closest friend picked up the same mopar you got rob. so i figured id grab one. and truth be told ...the racing between the 2 of us gets real good when using these cars as they are so well matched. the local club guys are real fanatical about them being stock. you cant race if the motor is non stock and it has to have the full interior and such. they do allow wheel and gear changes, but most guys dont really know how or just dont do it. i dont know why.

we changed the wheels to the CB nascar ones and run slot.it prototype tires on them. brings the center of gravity down and also brings the magnet just a touch closer the track for better grip. loosen the pod and body slightly and it really wakes up handling wise. not to mention they look a tad bit cooler as well.

smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale