[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Me and my Shadow....DN4 that is.

Me and my Shadow....DN4 that is.

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Me and my Shadow....DN4 that is.

Postby smallblockhero » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:23 am

Seeing as how Ted (Deslotted) and I are Shadow guys to the core. its my turn to do a Shadow. while nowhere near as complicated as his build was .(or as nice). i grabbed an old Polistil Shadow for $25 bucks off ebay. tore the crap old motor out put in stock S-can from scaley i had laying around. new axle ,slot it crown and temporary wheels on the 4 corners. dropped the ride height and added a 4mm square magnet to the stock notch in the axle retainer. the darn thing drives better then the Fly 917k i just bought. i need some help determining which wheel and tire size i should go with to make it look truly right. take a look and see what you think. those are the same CB 15x10's on the back and old scaley F1 fronts on it right now.

smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Me and my Shadow....DN4 that is.

Postby Reslotted » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:34 am

Good Work,
You can never have too many Shadows.
I've been on the lookout for one of the MG Vanquish versions but can't seem to find one for less than the price of a small 3rd world country.
Reslotted
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby smallblockhero » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:42 am

i bought one..the white Jackie Oliver Road Atlanta version. it never worked out of the box. biggest junk pile i ever bought. i ruined most of trying to fix it. all i have left is the body which i intend to make a scratch chassis for. you didnt miss anything on that one , and unless you find a cheap one. i dont recommend buying one.

smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Reslotted » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:01 am

Gee it looks pretty though!!
What was the biggest issue Donnie?
The Diff in the rear axle? Or other stuff as well?
Reslotted
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby smallblockhero » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:15 am

The diff was trash car wouldnt even go at all. ground clearnance was an issue when it did. its possible i just got a really bad version of it. but ive read of similar experiences.

bro .. seriously though...what wheel and tire combo would make this look better. im tired of ordering wheels that take 3 weeks to get here and then dont fit or look right.
smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Reslotted » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:20 am

Reslotted
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby smallblockhero » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:06 am

dude... those are awesome. i ordered them right away. perfect set up. your the man. thanks ted.
smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DAVE » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:20 pm

The MG Vanquish version is a MkII, not a DN-2 or DN-4 which were designed by a different design team. The
Vanquish version is also 1/30th scale, not 1/32. We run the Vanquish cars in their own class. We have replaced
the open diff with Slot-it gears, and the motors with NC-5s, shifted back in the chassis towards the crown gear.
The DN-4 is one of the cars I would like to do in resin, the Polistil car is way out of proportion.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby smallblockhero » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:47 pm

smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Reslotted » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:59 pm

Dave,
Thanks for the heads up on fixing up those vanquish cars.
It's good to know that for every dud car out there, someone at HRW has come up with a fix.
I could be tempted by one at the right price now, as I have a set of Slot it gears and an NC5 sitting around spare.

I think Donnie was chasing the wheels to try and make the polistil car a little better in the looks department.

Hey Donnie when those wheels turn up, can you get the sizes for us please mate?

Damn, just realised I'm running a bit late for work, can you write me a note please Harry?
Reslotted
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:35 pm

The Shadow looks great! Nice job. Looks like a fun runner!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby dreinecke » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:15 pm

Very nice car! I love anything Shadow!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby KnowtoriousWon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:43 pm

Very cool! The last great Can-Am car. This slot car is rather toy-like as were most 1/32 slot cars in the 70s (thank you FLY for bringing back scale model slot cars in 1996!) but it gets the point across. The driver seems to sit too high and some better injector stacks would help too.

I talked my dad into taking me to the Detroit auto show, must have been January '75, just to see one of these cars.

If I remember correctly the real car has tiny 13" front wheels and huge 15" rear wheels, the small front/ big rear wheels make it look a bit odd or out of proportion.

I liked the Vanquish cars a lot. I ran them totally stock although they were very sensitive to the braid and tires getting dirty - they got dirty very quickly. It was not unusual to show someone that a little lighter fluid on the braid and tires got their cars running properly. I was not a big fan of the diff but as long as I put a drop of oil on the axles they were fine. All had really similar performance which made them fun to race. The odd size/scale didn't bother me as I always ran them together but it would have been much better had they been scaled to 1/32. A few years ago I down-sized the number of slot cars I raced and got rid of them, would have been nice to keep them but I had a lot of fun with them and don't regret letting them go. I might have to go visit them sometime, a certain Mr. Reinecke ended up with the majority of them and I need to make sure they have been well taken care of.
KnowtoriousWon

Postby DAVE » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:18 pm

I have a set of drawings of the real MKII that I got from Peter when he was still alive, so doing that
in resin to proper dimensions will be easy. There is a DN-4 running in vintage events, and the owner
is very accommodating to members of the Historic Can-Am Association, so getting dimensions from
it will be possible. From there I can develop drawings to make a resin copy. I always wondered why
the DN-4 has not been done, but obviously there is more interest in the big Macs.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Reslotted » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:36 pm

I think your probably right about the Mclarens Dave.
But it would be good to get a really nice Shadow DN4 in 1/32.
I've never seen Can Ams in real life, but if they sound anything like the old F5000 cars, well it'd be awesome
Reslotted
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale