Me and my Shadow....DN4 that is.

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Me and my Shadow....DN4 that is.

Postby Foamy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:40 am

Oh, man. . . The Big Bore Can-Am cars the last couple years sounded nothing like the F5000 cars. They were like Drag Racing cars in that you could feel the sound in your chest as they went by. If you were standing, they pounded the ground. Walking on crossover bridge was like walking in an earthquake.
Foamy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DAVE » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:04 pm

The Formula 5000 was an attempt by the SCCA to put the engines and running gear from the
Can-Am cars to good use. They found that they had to limit the displacement to 5 litres, or 302
cubic inches because an open wheeled car with a 500 cubic inch motor was treacherous. There
was a considerable amount of downforce created by the Can-Am cars that could not be duplicated
using wings alone. If you are driving a small block car and a MacLaren M8 or Lola T-220 blows by
you there is a shock wave that can scare the hell out of you if you aren't ready for it. Spectators
standing near the track can also feel it, add that to the sound of the big block motors, and you have
the aura that was Can-Am. The F-5000s had the engine sound, but it just wasn't the same.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Reslotted » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:46 pm

I wish I had seen them or heard them live.
I understand what you mean when you say that, you feel the wave go through your chest, more so than hear it.
But have only heard Bigblock race engines at the drags 2 at a time for a few seconds. A pack of them howling by lap after lap must have been beyond incredible.
Reslotted
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby smallblockhero » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:31 pm

got the osterero wheels and tires in. they look phenominal! really add to this lil old car. i didnt use the supplied tires. they were really low profile and looked odd, and made for the car to occasionally bottom out.
with the stock scaley motor, slot.it crown and axles, and just a lilttle magnet. this ol girl runs very good. just as good as many out of the box cars i own now.
the rears are 13mm x13mm. fronts are 12mmx8mm

smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Reslotted » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:55 am

Far out. They do look good, I must be a genius :lol:

But Donnie, you gotta get Jackie Oliver a new Helmet mate.
He looks like an extra from "Coneheads"

I reckon a few of those decals from the spares I sent you would finish her right off by breaking up the sides a bit, I'm sure there was some J. Oliver names still on the sheet.

I'm gonna have a crack at doing one of these.
Reslotted
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DAVE » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:19 pm

You can still see the Can-Am cars live. The Historic Can-Am association has what I call a travelling road show. This
is made up of race regulars who make all the vintage races. There is a vintage race at nearly every major track
in the U.S.. You can also find early tube frame cars like mine running in the USRRC Seniors tour at the same
events. In Australia, you might see some of the cars running in the Interserie class. It would be worth the trip
Stateside to see these cars. The premier event for Can-Am is the Hawk on July 18 to 21 in 2013 at Road America
in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. Hope you can find a way to do it.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby smallblockhero » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:45 am

thanks to Ted i had a few extra decals to spruce her up with. Shes a good runner and doesnt look too out of place in the paddock with the more modern Can-Am cars from R/M .

i was able to shave the body post a bit and drop the nose. im thinking of trying to add a more modern guide/flag. the braids are stationary and the flag just swivels, which causes poor contact on tight turns. not sure what to do.

smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Reslotted » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:35 am

Each little bit is making that look better all the time Donnie.
Show us a picture of the current guide set up, we might be able to come up with something.
BTW I saw the latest pics of the DN1, it's coming along nicely mate.
Reslotted
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale