Supertire????

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Supertire????

Postby Cincyslots » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:19 pm

When can we expect supertires for the new Carrera 1/32 cars?

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Supertire????

Postby SlotCarCorner » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:57 pm

Hello Bruce,

The answer to your question depends on the car/tire - factors which determine whether a Super Tire will be made for a given car/tire include:

1. Demand - There is considerable expense designing and precision CNC-machining Super Tires molds. In general, 250-300 pairs of a given tire must be sold to just breakeven on the investment cost for the mold. This means less popular cars and/or cars with one-off, oddball wheels are not likely to be candidates. A car that is popular with a given racer may have limited appeal to the broader group. Our authorized dealers also provide valuable input regarding cars their customers are asking if Super Tires are available.

2. Applications - It is easier to recoup the initial investment in a mold if a given tire fits several applications. Again, less popular cars and/or one-off wheels are less likely to be candidates.

3. Conversion of Existing Super Tires to a Rounded Outer Sidewall - Our plan is to continue converting the more popular (best selling) Super Tires to the newer rounded sidewall wherever possible. Contrary to some discussions we have seen/heard on this subject, it is not just a matter of reworking the existing molds. New molds (and therefore, another investment of $$$) must be designed and manufactured. Sneak Preview - Look for an announcement in the next week or so.

4. "Expert" Input - Whenever possible, we do work with representatives of companies to gain insight into planned models, run sizes and the number of liveries planned for release over a period of time. Carrera is a good case in point. Up until about 18 months ago, there were only 3 Super Tires available specifically designed for Carrera applications. In the past 18 months, an additional 6 Super Tires for Carrera have been released (9 total). There is currently one other application on the list for Carrera with a good probability of being released. That said, there is no firm release date at this time.

If you have a SPECIFIC make/model (any brand) that you think would be a good candidate for a Super Tire, please let us know (this goes for all HRW readers - not just Bruce). We do keep a database of this information.

:)
Last edited by SlotCarCorner on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby SlotCarCorner » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:17 pm

You are interpreting item #2 correctly. Given the Cheetah and Cobra have unique (one-off) wheels, there are no plans at present to produce a Super Tire. Should Carrera produce 10 or 15 of these liveries over the next couple of years (or introduce more cars with the same wheel profile/dimensions), that position might change.

Unfortunately I am not at liberty to provide any more details about the molds.
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby Cincyslots » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:30 pm

I totally understand where you're coming from. I just love your tires. They are an excellent tire. I know we all have our favorites and I'm on the Supertire wagon. Hopefully, carrera comes through and makes more. I assume if you had info that they were, you'd start production?? :pray: LOL.

Thanks for replying
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SlotCarCorner » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:04 pm

Tell you what we'll do Bruce. If we win the PowerBall Jackpot tonight, we'll arrange to have Super Tires made for any 1/32 slot cars you want...

:dance:
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:12 pm

But....The General said WE were going to win. So that means I'll send you a check to cover it ok? :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby SlotCarCorner » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:57 pm

Works for us Harry. Just leave the amount blank and we'll fill it out on our end...

:dance:
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby Cincyslots » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:42 am

looks like someone in MO. won. Come on Harry!!!!
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale