Carrera X-Bow tuning help

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Carrera X-Bow tuning help

Postby FootScoot » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:08 pm

I know I read about how to tune one of these on here somewhere. I believe it was NHDungeonracer who has the experience with these. Any help appreciated. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Re: Carrera X-Bow tuning help

Postby nhdungeonracer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:48 am

Oh... you're testing my memory here... :lol:

I did set one up about 6 months ago, and it is currenty running in the Carrera Proxy Race (now at Derby City as I type this). So far it's doing ok, finishing around 5th on average, but now it seems to have a guide spring problem.

Anyways, what I've done is replace the rear drivetrain with a Slot.It axle (don't remember what length) with SCC bushings (aligned using SCC burr bit and pin gage), Slot.It 27t gear and CB Design 17x8 Insert Wheels. With the Slot.It gear, I had to do some dremeling to get the gear to fit, as it's a bit larger than the stock Carrera gear (Carrera is .570-Slot.It is .600). I just recently learned that the NSR gears are smaller than the Slot.It gears (.580), so if I had known that when I built the X-Bow, I would have used the NSR gear.

For the front, I used the same 17x8 Insert Wheels along with a Slot.It axle and SCC bushings (also aligned).

I did put the stock Carrera wheels in my lathe and turned them down to fit inside the 17x8 Insert Wheels. This wasn't as easy as I expected, because it turns out that Carrera used 2 pieces to make the wheel. By the time I cut down to the desired diameter to fit inside the Insert Wheel, the wheel fell apart with the hub remaining on the lathe, and the spokes laying on the table. I had to finish them by hand (now you know why I'm beginning to hate stock Carrera wheels :lol:)

I can't remember for sure what tires I used, but I think they were the older flat 1402's. Silicones on the rear, and Yellow Dogs on the front.

I kept the stock guide in it for now. But after hearing Mark having issues with the guide spring at his track, when I get the car back, I'm planning to replace the stock guide assembly with a B-Nova adaptor and a Sloting + guide (screw the rules :lol: :lol: )

My purpose for building it to begin with was because the local racers were saying Carrera doesn't make sportscars to compete with Scalextric and other brands. At it is now, it's not far behind those other brands. But as been shown, there are cars in the Carrera Proxy Race that are better than my X-Bow, and I think those cars could compete with the other brands.
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby FootScoot » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:03 pm

I have the SCC bushings in the chassis, but was waiting for a reply before I order my other parts. I think I will go with a Slot It. wood guide, with B-Nova guide adapter, and Slot It. axles.. I already had a set of wheels for it, but it's good to know the NSR gear is smaller than the Slot It. Look for an order soon. :) Thank you. ;)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby nhdungeonracer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:05 am

Order is on it's way!
Thanks Ken!! :D
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale