Field Report - Carrera Classics - Cheetah/Cobra

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Field Report - Carrera Classics - Cheetah/Cobra

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:04 pm

This is about as good as it gets for a product review. We were lucky to be invited to Bibbsters home for the weekend to test out his new track and race room, and wouldn't you know that Rusty "ourwayband" just had the latest Carrera classics come in the mail. He forgot them, and drove back home to let us all have a go with them. THANKS RUSTY!

Overall, everyone thought Carrera did a great job. Of course, one can "count rivets" and be critical but the real truth is that they did very well. They captured the look of these cars very well and the overall fit and finish was more than enough to please all in attendance.

For me, these cars are what I have been waiting for: A nice classic slot car with an affordable price. These cars were only $32.00 which truly makes a difference for almost all enthusiasts.

But that would not be that important if they did not run well. Happily, I can report that they DID run well. In fact, a LOT better than I expected.

The first important thing I want people to know is that we took the cars STRAIGHT from the box to the track. No sanding tires, no adjustments. From box to track.

The other thing is that this was on a WOOD track with no magnet. A surface/track condition they were not designed for.

The results were that we had a great trio of classics on our hands. They simply ran, and ran very well.

A fun time was had on the long straights of this oval as well as powering through the corners. Sure, there was a little wheel hop here and there, but it told me we had a great classic platform to build upon.

Tires will be an issue until they are made. I am sure that will be handled very soon. As will other after-market parts. The important thing is that we have them finally, and it looks to be a very promising series.

I am not sure how many more are in the future, but right now I am just happy with what they made today. I have to think that any of you who enjoy classics will enjoy these. I sure do :)

Well done Carrera.

Thanks Jeremy for the great track and to Rusty for letting us "break in" your new rides.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Field Report - Carrera Classics - Cheetah/Cobra

Postby Scatman1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks Harry for the report. I had no doubt that they would run well. Carrera deserves an award for providing a good product and keeping the price low. :dance:
Scatman1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:26 pm

You beat me to it! I only had the photos left to do, and the text finished. I did the red Cheetah and the red 289 Cobra, but just an overview, not a full-on review. I certainly agree about the handling, especially the Cheetah. What the TireRazor does to the wheels and stock rear tires is stupendous to say the least. I guess I'll add the red MRRC Cobra coupe to make it worthwhile. Three red cars... I may have to make a new title.

No fair, you get the fun weekend and still get the post finished first. I think somebody cheated- oil on the track, bad gas, fog, I was blocked, illegal aero, arg, arg, arg!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:55 pm

Your report is still needed :)

I just put in print what the folks there had to say. We had a blast with them. If Santa brings me one or two, I'll be ok.

The NASCARS are the real stocking stuffers though :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:18 pm

That Cheetah is a great car. Its interesting that the same track-to-wheelbase ratio that made the real car scream around corners and esses tends to make this slot car a real pistol in the same way. I think there may be some good in the independent front wheels, too.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby ourwayband » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:23 pm

dang Harry,your a busy man!! Great review and some cool action Shots ol' Wise one!!
I want all three,but what a minute...... :oops:
These are going to be some fun cars to run..

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DaveKennedy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:30 am

I'm glad you've had a chance to run the new Cheetah and Cobra Harry. I always love reading your thoughts and the pix are really nice!
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Postby ourwayband » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:29 pm

What every body failed to mention is..
The General was driving the red Cheetah and as you can see, is just about to lap JD!!! :D
You can tell by the look on his face.... :o

;)

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dundee Denny » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:54 pm

Really like the MRRC cobra's and on my Scally track with magnets the Carrera can be either a hit or miss, where the MRRC's never disappoint, so I look forward to adding the MRRC to your review.

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:31 pm

I got my Carrera Cheetah today and on my Scaley sport track it was nothing but great. Maybe a little too much magnet. I put it on my low rent tire truer and found they were very round, then I lubed it and stuck it on the track. Great running little car and soo beautiful.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Tubby » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:22 pm

But what Rusty won't tell you is that he was too intimidated to race against us! Ha take a cheap shot at me will you. I blame pork tenderloin on my slow driving. I was getting dizzy!

Tubby
Tubby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:32 am

I was scared,very scared....

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale