[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Postby SuperSlab » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:19 pm

A few days ago I started a thread about how much I enjoy some no-nonsense, slowish-but-nice cars. Quite reasonably enough there were a few comments along the lines of:

"Some of us just want to go fast, faster then anyone else can go on a particular track"
"Yes, I do need more than that."
"Enough is never enough. It's like Can-Am, where excess is barely adequate."

And so on and so forth.

So just to clear up any misconceptions: yes, I started a thread extolling the virtue of slower cars. But just like most of us I like going really, really fast as well. I have my carefully hidden dark Mr. Hyde side as well....

I also have to admit that, as an engineer (and doesn't THAT say a lot...), I suffer from a degree of OCD-edness when it comes to car preparation. And data. For instance: I am the only one in our group that regularly takes a printout of the cars that I have there that evening to the track and run the cars after the races (when the track is nice and clean and fast) and then dutifully record my fastest lap times with each car. And then use that to identify deficiencies, fret over said cars and then go back to see if I can improve on the lap times.

And then catastrophe: being the consumate track builder that he is, Luf goes and changes the track! So time to start from scratch and draw up a new lap chart and new times!

All that to emphasise that I too like going really fast. Well, make that really, REALLY fast. For instance? How about a Fly Corvette.

We have a front engine class that allows pretty much any modifications and changes. So it ends up being quite competitive. I have a few cars that I am hugely impressed with in terms of what you can squeeze out of a front engine car. I really like the appearance of the Fly Goodwrench C5R Corvette. So I decided to build The Ultimate Front Engine Weapon from it. SO this is what it looks like now:

Now this thing is scary fast for a front engine car. How fast? Well, how about lap times better than any of my Slot.it Porsche 956's? Just quite an incredible car.

And then: maybe it is not quite fast enough...

I really like the thought of an NSR Corvette. But the NSR C6's are just not quite as pretty as the Fly C5's to my eye. Aahh, the solution: how about a Frankenvette?!

Looks almost the same, doesn't it? Wellll...

Not quite the same... But it still needs some refinement though: it can still be faster!

SO yes: my name is Alwyn and I too am addicted to speed!
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Postby SpeedyNH » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:53 pm

[quote="SuperSlab"]

... and then dutifully record my fastest lap times with each car.

i sure like your way of thinking! on all accounts.
but then, i'm one too...

speedy
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:18 am

Well, I after reading this it makes me want to re-visit some of these front motor cars.

No, not to make a super fast car because that isn't my style. But to do another front motor car that CAN be smooth and fun like some of us have always known they can be.

HRW JIm has a Marcos on his bench and I have a few too.

Used to really enjoy them, and with all the new toys we have today...it just seems like the time to do one.

Great job and thanks for the kick in the head.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby SuperSlab » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:36 am

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ListerStormGT » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:22 am

That's a great conversion, I have to ask about those wheels though. They look great!
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:38 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby SuperSlab » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:12 am

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:39 am

nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby SuperSlab » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:48 am

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:07 am

You know you are good at it when they do that.

A testament to your skills...had me fooled.

BUT IN MY DEFENSE I did not have enough coffee.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:45 am

I enjoy both ubber fast cars and the slower variety. I usually separate the the two by the type of cars being modeled.
I see no sense in making a Trans Am car go faster than a Can Am car so my stable of cars reflect that. But when it comes to Can Am cars, all gloves are off. I have a series of Carrera Can Am cars here that I call my Big Block cars.These have been outfitted with inline pods, FK180 motors and the biggest, stickiest meats that Paul Gage makes. My latest is this Lola T222

I even separate the early small block USRRC/Can Am from the later Big Block. Those cars are improved over stock but are much milder in performance as they should be.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale