Do I really need more than this?

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Do I really need more than this?

Postby DAVE » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:54 pm

I agree, David. With all the aftermarket parts available, you just pick out a car you really
like and go from there. If racing on the cheap is important, there are many things you
can do to improve the car without spending a cent. It is like real racing, you can go as
fast as your wallet will let you. But it is all fun. That is why there are budget classes in
SCCA and other race organizations.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:04 pm

Best thing about this hobby is that there's something in it for everyone.

I'm quite happy to tinker a little with my cars to make them run reliably. But I'm happy to have my cars feel as different as they look. As long as it looks good and I don't have to fight it in and out of every corner I'm a happy girl.

There are a couple of fast cars in the collection, but they don't find there way to the track as often as the ones that just circulate well and are a joy to watch. Mind you, I do like them to give the occasional twitch or two to remind me I'm driving.

And some of my most favourite fun were the cheapest to buy.

Embs
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby SuperSlab » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:11 pm

I took a few new cars to the track today and I was again forcibly reminded of this topic. I attach a list of best lap times for some of my cars on Luf's "New" Targa track for reference:

I have quite a few more cars, some of which I have lap times for (total of 63) and many (too may to mention without some embarrassment....) that I do not yet have up to date times for. I decided to cut this off at the first Slot.it Porsche 956 as this is a car that most people can relate to. To emphasize the performace of some unexpected unaltered cars I have highlighted their performance. And to further put matters in perspective: an 8 second lap is fast. Actually rather closer to VERY fast. There is a very small group of drivers from our club that ever get below 8 seconds. So for some "mediocre" cars to achieve some of the listed lap times is just phenomenal.

And the best of it is they look fantastic and are smooth and easy to drive.

Incredible
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ChallengerGuy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:53 pm

I once had 300 cars. I sold out and am now down to roughly 40, I think. There are a few I want back and will hunt them down in due course of time. I typically ran alone but had a few parties with friends and had some great three lane races with very smooth running cars. That's the key - smoothness. I have one that has a super hot motor jammed into a CanAm Porsche and it has the most incredible torque/acceleration you ever saw and heard. However, it was a bear to drive...my buddy would laugh at my attempts to catch him driving one of my smooth runners with that thing. Like in real life with 1:1 Lamborghini on the streets in the rain, when I would floor the car even on the straight, it would wipe out with all the power it still had to spare. Fantastic car but WAY overpowered. Glad I did NOT sell it. Itching to give it life again.
ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale