[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - On Board sound(Update)

On Board sound(Update)

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: On Board sound(Update)

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:08 am

Still waiting on some bluetooth stuff.

I May go ahead and mount a complete system onboard until I can try the bluetooth option. It is on my todo list.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DRW21 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:06 pm

freaking awesome
DRW21
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby CrockettNZ » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:20 pm

that is so cool
we had a member in club that will play a old record he had of some old racing
it had all the engine and gear changing noises plus commentary
shame he moved back to the states and took it with him
CrockettNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:01 pm

Dang! You mean there are people moving TO the states while so many are moving AWAY?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:34 pm

I really like the way this sounds! I think I would do a speaker at each driver station. All running the V8 sounds would be awesome!!

Would this work with me using AC power?
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:13 am

You would have to supply the sound unit with DC. My understanding is you have a diode in the controller that basically filters the AC. So I believe you would be measuring DC voltage across the motor if you put a voltmeter on it. If This is true, then yes this could be used on your setup

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dw5555 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:49 pm

Ok Dan, it's been a year. I know you enter every proxy there is but there had to be time in-between to dabble some more. Maybe even a list of what's needed. I got some quiet 1/24 cars that need some varoom.

Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:21 pm

I have trackside system up and running, but it can be overwhelming after awhile, and I kind of lost interest on the on board stuff. Took forever for my Bluetooth components to arrive, and when they did, I just tossed the stuff into my project drawer

Sorry for not progressing this, but lost interest
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby olskoolslotz » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:02 am

Late to the thread but this may be of interest. I've had this for 20-25 years and never gave it a try, True Scale Racing 4 speed V8 on board sound kit. It works off an optical sensor reading the rear axle. Long an obsolete item but goes to show on board digital sound is not a new concept.

olskoolslotz
"THE Champ"

Postby proxieken » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:10 am

Wow, I am now going to have to troll e-bay and look from some of those sound kits. I never thought about looking for an old system.

If that was the price 20 years ago it could get very pricey to make sound kits for a set of cars.

I wonder if someone could reverse engineer that item?

Maybe with todays cheap electronics they could be made cheaper.

Thanks for sharing that picture.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dewman51 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:23 am

I have always thought about sounds for race tracks. I have a cd that has race cars sounds on it and have a speaker system in the center of the track . Sounds pretty neat but would be better if it varied with the speed of the cars. I would LOVE to have a system for NASCAR type racing! I also run a road course. I'd be interested in a plug and play type of set up as I am not very "tech savy".
Dewman51

Postby proxieken » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:02 pm

proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby olskoolslotz » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Train sound systems might be a good starting point, I'm not up on what's currently available out there. I used to work in Lionel customer service as a repair tech for a while before they pulled the plug in Michigan. This was when they had the TrainMaster system with Railsounds and were introducing the Odyssey system. Anyway, being a Corvette fan I purchased the Lionel Corvette GP-7 set and was able to burn a custom sound chip for it with the Custom Hot Rod GP-9 sounds of V8 idle, burnout and acceleration. A one off novelty I still have from those days.
olskoolslotz
"THE Champ"

Postby buddymoore » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:51 am

has anyone thought of adding sound to the Scalex ARC system? it already knows throttle position and could be matched up with cars from the "garage". I'm no techie but it seems that it wouldn't be all that difficult.
buddymoore

Postby b.yingling » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:04 pm

proxieken:

I tried to reply to your PM, but apparently I can't send messages on this board. They just sit in my Outbox. So I tried to send you a PM on SCI- but you have private messaging turned off over there! So I'll give you a public response:

What you want to do is certainly *possible*. I can tell you I won't include it in my software, however. My software is doing a lot of things already, and serving sound files is a big load on the processor. The stuff the software does well now would suffer greatly if I tried to implement something like this.

I know you like the idea, but I am personally not too impressed with the idea of sounds. If you're running say, four cars, the various different sounds would basically blend into a background of engine noises. You could play such a thing now, if you want more motor sounds. The idea of matching sounds to spots on the track is intriguing- but how much time does a slot car typically spend on the main straight? Less than a second for most tracks. That wouldn't be much of a sound!

While the split time tracks can tell you where the car has recently been (not where it actually is), it would take some considerable timing skill and effort to keep that in sync with the currently playing sounds. It would be a good project for someone with programming skills who was interested in the idea. Maybe it could even be done using an arduino- although I don't know much about sound modules for them.

Again- it's certainly possible (almost anything is!), but not something I would want to spend the time and effort on, and I fear it is something that would be mildly disappointing when completed. Of course, for someone who wants to take on something like this, tackling the project is reward enough.
b.yingling
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale