[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - It's time to ROAR!

It's time to ROAR!

It's time to ROAR!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:08 am

A bunch of us have been tossing around the idea of a vintage roadster/prototype fun run/race based on the cars that a lot of us grew up admiring and reading about in the '50's and early '60's. The idea started with a thread that NorCalMike put up about a Birdcage Maserati that he was building. One thing led to another and before long most of the cars that raced at that time had been mentioned and described. There seems to be quite a bit of interest in these cars and in having a fun run/race that does them justice; a race along the same lines as the current La Carrera Panamericana. So, here's what we're planning

The Roadsters Over America Race (ROAR) (coined by Chappy - thanks!)

Cars: 1949-1963 roadsters and prototypes that either competed or could have competed at Le Mans and other similar races
Bodies: plastic or resin
Body modifications: open, as long it looks period
Interior: open / tray interior minimum
Chassis: open / no magnets
Chassis modifications: open (motor pods, front axle blocks, etc. all OK)
Motor: <15k rpm manufacturer's rating (NC-1/NC-8, Artin white endbell, M-T1 / M-T SL1, BWNC1 / BWMS050, H&R Jackrabbit, etc.)
Gearing: open
Wheels: open
Tires: rubber or urethane
Number of cars per person: max. of 2

Cars will be due for the first race on the day that this year's Le Mans race starts; June 13th.

Bob Taylor and I will co-direct this fun run/race and the first round will be in Merrimac shortly after this year's Le Mans classic.

Cars should be mailed to the following address for the start of the race.

Allan Jarvis
46 River Road
Merrimac, MA 01860

So let's have some fun with this! It's a wide swatch of really great cars; from MG-TC's to Ferrari 250P's and everything in between. See you in the paddock!

Allan
Last edited by Audi1 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: It's time to ROAR!

Postby btaylor » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:17 am

This will be fun! Allan has set up a great guideline structure for us, and should allow a lot flexibility in all the builds.
I would like to add, that if you have an old favorite home set car body (marx, eldon,Strommie) etc., that even though they are not true scale, they are more than welcome in this race.As long as they fit the body style mentioned above.
Of course my road course will be offered up as a host track. I am looking forward to seeing all the build s on this one.
we could have another Epic race here! And if it goes well, we are looking to make it an annual event,so get your teams together, and lets get ready to "ROAR"
Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:15 am

I am in. with at least one car. I will also offer up my wood road track here in California as a host track. She doesn't have timing now but we'll have it set up by the start in June.

May I also emphasize the "fun" in "fun run". Our discussion has been largely influenced by our rug rat days racing Strombecker, Eldon, Marx etc. on our bedroom floors during our youth. Some of you on the other side of the pond might have been running early Scalextrics. I have floated in my mind back to my 10'th birthday in 1962 several times during this discussion. It was all about fun. That is the spirit but that is not the rule. From what I read in Allan's post. Beyond motor, the rules are pretty open. Thanks to Allan and Bob T for coordinating this proxy.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:53 am

Hmm..I do have a few Ninco classics that could fit this bill! I like it!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby btaylor » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:57 am

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby dreinecke » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:59 am

I think you mean where I normally place: bottom.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby btaylor » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:02 am

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby bookie » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:29 am

After what I've learned in the past 2 months for running south of the border, I believe a car can be done for this, I'm in if allowed
bookie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:49 am

Well done Allan, good guidelines and my thanks to, you and Bob T for taking this on.
Mike thanks for the idea in the first place.
As I mentioned earlier, I am in,,,,, but think it best to keep things south of the border for tracks, as the cross border transport would add unnecessary expense. Of course thats up, to you Allan and Bob T.
Lake on the Mountain Raceway would of course be happy to host if you decide otherwise, but I will not be disappointed to have my entry , travel around the good old USA, but please, lots of pictures lol.
Thanks again guys, I too think, this will be a lot of fun getting back to basics.
I can already feel the rug rash on my knees lol
Cheers
Bob C
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby SLOTTING SINCE 1963 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:40 am

Dont rule out the possibility of hearing THE ROAR IN AFRICA !
Richard the Lion Heart.
SLOTTING SINCE 1963
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:54 am

Hot Dog! You are so added to the Roster! Glad you jumped in Dave! Another Fun time for sure!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby btaylor » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:08 am

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby HRWJim » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:14 am

Count me in too. I think this sounds like fun. JIm
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!