The ROAR Fun Run Proxy Concludes

Re: The ROAR Fun Run Proxy Concludes

Postby Audi1 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:49 pm

Couldn't resist posting a few last pics of the ROAR cars.............

First off, the box survived the trip around the world very well (that's 17 rounds in 5 countries):

And inside, the cars looked like they were just starting out on their first round:

Ross Edwards "Rossko" (GAS41T), who ran two rounds for us in Australia, provided some decals and 22 Australian flags; one for each of us to display at our tracks. Thanks Rossko! :handgestures-thumbup:

Also in the box were some prizes for all of the entrants; these from Art Tschinkel at D'Art Hobbies in Canada. Get this - 3 pinion gears (8,9 and 10 tooth) and one new BWAFF-050 motor for everyone!! Thanks Art!

So, nobody goes home empty-handed, thanks to our sponsors, track hosts and patrons! Well done, guys! :text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo:

Remember, the first place prize; a new Cobra from HRW, the third place prize; an HRS2 chassis from SCC and ShotgunDave's Jaguar E-Type, will all be raffled off to the entrants this week - stay tuned for the winners! ,

Here are some parting shots of the field, in no particular order, as they came out of the transporter box; a really great group of cars:

And here's a special "wish box" shot for Keith (retro racer 44). Thought I had him on the outside goin' into the turn......................but..........................

:lol:

Anybody feel like ROAR-ing again..........................?

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:50 pm

Great shot, Allan, and by the way, your Chaparral I was one of my favourite cars in this proxy. Biased perhaps as I have always liked Chaparrals, but I had not had any previous acquaintance with the early Troutman-Barnes built Chaparral I. When I first met yours, I had to go online and do some research.

I'm in for two cars if we do the ROAR again, and will host at Luf's if he agrees. (He always does.)

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:40 am

Thanks Keith. I just always liked the Mk 1; it reminded me, I think, of the early Scarabs, which I also like. I'll start a separate ROAR-2 thread probably sometime in October, to see what the interest level is.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:59 am

Absolutely , had a great time , my thanks to all involved in keeping this series on the tracks pun intended .
A lot of work goes into,this and i want you to know i appreciate it.
I am certainly interested in ROAR II .
Just need time to catch my breath and build some cars.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:09 am

Thanks again to our sponsors....the bottom third of the field didn't expect anything but my cars back. That's some nice swag for nothing but sending in cars I already was running!

Thanks to all. Not sure I am in for another year long run, but may be in for a shorter fun run.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby McLiams » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:43 am

Thanks to Allan, the hosts, their crews...drivers, marshals, moral supporters, et al.

Mc
McLiams
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:55 pm

This thing started as a simple fun run of home built toys that Bob Taylor and I were playing with, or so I thought. We were using Strombecker or Marx type bodies with simple Artin chassis. Somehow it morphed into a full blown proxy that lasted for a year. I am up for fun runs but I am not really interested in another proxy.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:48 pm

Hi Mike, There's really no difference between a fun run and a proxy. All fun runs are, actually, proxy races. When someone else drives your car in a race, he's your proxy driver; that's where the name comes from.

You can separate proxy races, generally, by the rules. Fun runs tend to have minimal rules, which gives the maximum flexibility to the builders; in terms of what they want to build into their cars. Proxies with lots of rules tend to be more stringent; the rules need to be adhered to closely and there's usually a narrow band of cars that are allowed to compete in each class.

Now, on the other side, you can also separate them based on how much time they take to complete. For example, Keith's (Retro racer 44) GVSCC proxy takes place in about 6-8 weeks; total time, running on about half a dozen good tracks all in the Vancouver area. The ROAR was one of the first proxies on HRW to go completely around the world. That takes time and in the case of the first ROAR proxy, it took a little over a year. There's a lot to coordinate in a global proxy; it just doesn't happen in a short period of time.

So, if the time was the deciding factor for you, then OK; there's not much that we can do about running a global proxy in much less time than a year. If the rules were the deciding factor for you, then OK again; but in that case, the ROAR rules were minimal, so I'm not sure there's a lot that can be done in that area either.

Anyway, we enjoyed having your car(s) in these fun runs; hope to see you on the grid again someday.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:04 pm

Looking forward to seeing my Team Chappy cars make there way back home - something tells me they are going to have some smoooooth running drive lines after all the different venues! :D
Again, having hosted these cars early in the series, my hat is off to all the participants and host tracks! It was great to see these at the widely varying venue!
Look forward to ROAR II (although I am guessing it will now be ROWR?) :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby chappy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:31 pm

I remember when i came up with the Name Roadsters Over America Race (ROAR) in the start, there was no inkling this would grown into such an outstanding series by virtue of distance travelled around the world and venues in different countries.. It seems our little proxy grew up in front of our very eyes. I must admit i really enjoyed the travels and reports from all over, must be some sort of record we set. I guess a new name will be in order for the Roadsters Around the World (RAW) for the 2nd generation of this Proxy .Of course it could be CAW or SAW if it is coupes or saloons lol.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Audi1 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:28 am

Yes, coming up with a new name for the event will be a challenge. ROAR just seemed very cool. Too bad we can't keep it and just find the words that fit into it's being a global racing series. We have some clever minds out there............there must be something that will work...................

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:19 am

Allan , I will try and find words that fit the acronym but include the world of the proxy.
Bob

ROADSTERS OVER ALL REALMS Hmmmmmm lol
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby CARacing » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:37 am

Well done to all the builders and racers!! Super job well done.
I`ll have to enter for the next race...
Cheers, Clive

Sent from my Vodacom Power Tab 10 using Tapatalk
CARacing

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:40 am

When this series was first announced I looked through my cupboard and found my old 356 Porsche and a similarly painted Jag, and the "Bluesome Twosome" were born.

The 356 had already run the Last Open Road proxy and the Jag was untried and slow.

I expected this series to be a few races in the US and the cars would be home. Yeah right!

For the next round I will step up my game and hopefully send better cars.

Great job to all involved in ROAR.

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to ROAR Proxy