[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - ROAR in Canada

ROAR in Canada

ROAR in Canada

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:11 am

Hi All;

A large well packed box of cars ROARed into town this week and the first order of business was to check them out and qualify them. After taking each car out of its little transporter, I assembled them in a plastic bin between layers of bubble wrap for the 45 minute commute to the track. Fortunately I go against the rush hour traffic or it might have been double that time or more.

My plan was to qualify them at 10 volts. Yeah right! After six or so cars, I decided it was no fun to hold the trigger to the mat on all but the hairpin turn, so I started again at 11 volts. I probably could have gone 12 volts, but I didn't want to have to stop to self marshal too many times. Most of the cars responded quite well at 11 volts. With 15K motor limits we were not talking track records here.

Once on 11v things were progressing well, but a few problems turned up. Two cars had broken guide holders, two had problems with the guides themselves, one had its motor come loose from the hot glue, and one had a very tight crown gear. I did not record good times for these cars, but they have all been repaired with owner's consent. I will take them back to Luf's on Monday to get times for them. I will post the results for qualifying once these cars are done, probably some time on Tuesday.

This is a very interesting group of cars with a wide range of chassis, set up and performance. There are a few that are definitely setting the pace and some struggling to keep close.

I will run either the Targa or the Hill climb this Friday, depending how many drivers and marshals I can round up. I will use the same qualifying order for both events.

I will also get my camera going to get some pics.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: ROAR in Canada

Postby Audi1 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:57 am

Glad to hear that they're safely in Canada, Keith. Thanks for making the needed repairs. Proxy cars just have a way of changing over time and after races. Thanks also for taking the extra time to qualify those that needed some TLC prior to making a good Q run.

Looking forward to the races on the Targa and the Hillclimb!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:05 am

Have fun with them Keith!
Looking forward to seeing the coming updates!
:banana-dance:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby chappy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:10 am

Thanks Keith , looking forward to this bit of the ROAR, also a prelude to Targa lol.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:06 pm

Well I did some more qualifying of the ROAR cars last night before racing. We now have good times for almost all of the cars. I must have been having a senior's moment, as it ended up that I was two times short. After careful comparison of the stats on Todd's spreadsheets, I concluded that one was the boss's Ferrari, and that will never do, the other was Todd's other car that I did not get a time for due to a mechanical issue. That is now resolved, but I did not get a time, yet.

So, on Friday before I do any hill climb or racing I will complete the qualifying for these two cars, and then post the results after that.

Sorry for the delay,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:18 pm

LOL! Yeah - can't skip on qualifying the Boss's car! :o

Mine could go to the "back of the field" for "unapproved changes" after qualifying if needed - but considering that car is probably one of the most challenging cars in the field (too fast for it's tendency to tip verses drift) - some trigger time with it probably isn't a bad thing! :lol:
(thank you again for the repairs! :bow-blue: )
Look forward to the updates later this week Keith! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:06 am

I ran the last two cars for qualifying and got times for them, so I will post all the times below. Then I went to the other side of the garage and ran them on the Burnaby grind. The second car I tried didn't get around the first turn before the guide holder broke off. I will attempt a fix this weekend.

The Burnaby Grind is the toughest track we run on in our club, as it is very narrow with tight turns. There are places where the rock walls love to slap cars as they go by, especially if the rear of the car is wiggling at all. The track record for a single run is about 19 seconds. We were not even close for two reasons. I was doing the driving, and I am not that good on the hill climb and these are low powered cars. Even so, there were several cars in the low to mid 23 sec. range. There were also some over 30 sec. It seemed that cars either hooked up or didn't. Cars that are light generally had a harder time to make a good run than heavier cars. This is a good thing, I suppose, as it gives other cars a chance to show their stuff in a different venue.

Luf was kind enough to do a video clip of each car, and will edit them and post a link when it is ready. Meanwhile, I took some stills of the cars set out on the track, and will post them tomorrow.

So on to the Qualifying Results- I ran each car about ten laps until I could not get a faster time.

# Owner Time

89 TuscoTodd 8.45
23c Chappy 9.01
3 Rleog 9.28
71 TuscoTodd 9.29
27 Audi1 9.38
67 Audi1 9.46
44 Retro Racer 44 9.64
4 Sadco Racing 9.68
63 Slotting since 1963 9.75
45 Retro Racer 44 9.86
20 McLiams 9.99
11 Nor Cal Mike 10.24
5 urbanwarrior 10.26
4T Btaylor 10.29
30 chappyman66 10.31
8 chappyman66 10.55
16 Tsgret 10.75
1 Btaylor 10.89
51 urbanwarrior 11.03
23 Chappy 11.23
22 HRW 11.47
64 ShotgunDave 11.99

Congrats to Todd's #89 for taking the pole.

Enough for tonight,

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:22 am

Way to go, Todd!

Looking forward to the races!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:00 am

WhooHoo! :banana-dance:
Thank you for the great qualifying effort with my cars Keith! :D

Qualifying info added to the series spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Looking forward to seeing the pics / videos of the cars and hearing how they did on the hill climb!
(very cool the wide range of tracks these cars are getting to see!) :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:28 pm

Last edited by Retro Racer 44 on Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:18 am

I see what you mean about hitting the rock wall.............! YKIES............. :o

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby McLiams » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:32 am

Has the builder/owner of the damaged car been notified? Just trying to confirm that it was/was not #20. Thanks.
McLiams
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:37 am

The field looks pretty good sitting on the cool looking hill climb!
Definitely looking forward to seeing the results and the videos of the runs!
:D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:42 pm

The owner has been notified. It wasn't #20.
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:12 pm

Luf's video is up on YouTube. There is a lot of chitchat in the background as others were testing and tuning their cars on the Targa while I was running the Grind.

Thanks to Luf for his efforts and repeatedly filming my fat stomach. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to ROAR Proxy