[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - New Digital Chassis

New Digital Chassis

For 1/43rd Scale Models

New Digital Chassis

Postby BARC 1 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:25 pm

As I have now entered the digital world, I have fine tuned the Gift Card chassis to something else now, and the "gift card" is no longer a part on the parts list. In addition I was not going to incur the expense of chipping every car I wanted to run and wanted to make a chassis with an adjustable wheel base so something different had to be done.

Instead of the Gift card I now am using pieces of old Carrera Go track. I had been cutting up track to build special track sections, and realized the track material would make a good chassis

You can get about three cars out of one section of Carrera track as indicated by the red lines.

So I now had a large supply of chassis material as I am utilized old track which I had no use for.

The next change has been surrounding the sidewinder motor arrangement. I now build these as a pod. The Angle mount, motor, bearing block and axle are an assembled pod. Positions are fixed and the whole unit then can be moved forward or backward in the chassis to accomodate different wheel bases. In addition two front axle shafts are now included allowing another place for wheelbase adjustments.

Using trued urethane tires I am finding I get a good performing chassis without the addition of any Brass plate. The photos above show a magnet in place, but this is being built as a ghost chassis, and the magnet addition just makes it a more challenging car to drive against. Normally this chassis would have no magnet.

Here is the chassis all outiftted with a Carrera D132 chip

Image.

Hopefully a picture says a thousand words, and i won't get much more prescriptive about how this all comes together.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: New Digital Chassis

Postby frank9129 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:47 pm

VERY INTERESTING. ( as in Laugh-in)
Nice job.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Sat May 21, 2016 2:17 am

very nice work, Dan!
you might consider using a double lego block for the rear bearings.
the distance between the 2 bearings is a little short for my feelings, giving the axle to much possibility to move. would be better with a double block (maybe shortened a little), to give more distance between the bearings.
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MikeySlotCars » Sat May 21, 2016 2:01 pm

Very nice :clap:

What kind of guide flag you are using in pictures 3 & 4 ?

Mikey
MikeySlotCars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat May 21, 2016 4:57 pm

I think that guide flag is an offering by RPM. Might even be for 1/24 scale. Sorry I am not sure as it was in my parts supply, and just grabbed it. I do like it though.

Peter

Double Lego blocks were what I was using when I first started the Gift card chassis. Going to the single I haven't noticed any real appreciable difference, and the wheels spin true at High RPM. I think the short axles in 143 scale are pretty stiff.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jhrico » Sat May 28, 2016 12:27 pm

Very nice and ingenious!
Hey, if you don't mind, what's they source for your motors? They seem a bit smaller than what I think are called mabuchi ff-030 I.e. standard carrera 1/43 motors.
jhrico

Postby BARC 1 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:22 pm

These are smaller then the Carrera go motors. I think these are an N class. I get them from a supplier in China and it is really a crap shoot what you get. The can can look the same and are the same size but the performance will be different. These were listed as high power and have much more magnetic force then others I have bought. These perform as well as the GO motors but in a smaller can.

Cheers

Dan
Last edited by BARC 1 on Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jhrico » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:42 am

Thanks. Do you have any links or contact information? Or maybe we can trade for something? Please let me know here or pm. Thanks!
jhrico

Postby taskak » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:03 am

Dan, I would like to know link to these motors and gears too.
All I found was 6V motors or 12V motors with reverse axis.
Cheers
taskak
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:51 pm

It should be mentioned that these motors have a 1 mm - shaft.

So you will have to bush the pinions. I only know of 8t and a 9t - pinions from ABS in metric module 05 with a 1 mm - bore.
To bush plastic pinions with bigger bores is difficult because ABS / POM and others are almost impossible to glue.

Spur gears are available with 24t ( 13 mm dia. ) and 26t ( 14 m dia. ), 2 mm bore ( 1.95 ). This can easily be reamed to 2,3 or whatecver needed to press on.
Crowns with 20 and 15 t.

The motors are really good.
At 7 volts you cannot stop the shaft with your fingers. And the best thing is they have carbon brushes, not the ugly cheap copper stripes that are used in all GO! - / SCX compact - sized motors.

If you need some, send me a PM. The shipping form Germany is comparatively very low.

Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:30 pm

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:45 am

I know all that.
As far as I know Ivytextile doesn´t sell anymore. The shop seems to be closed, and in his Ebay offers aren´t any of these motors.

As to your gear seller, he only seems to have sets with a big variety of gears of which only very few are usable because of the gear dia. and bore dia.

I still have these motors, and I have the gears I mentioned as single items, not in any sets.

Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:08 am

These are the suppliers I used.

You may have to search their site for exactly what you want, but I was able to buy a lot of 50-1mm pinions as well as 50 spur gears, and motors in batches of 10.

As far as I know both of these places still have things for sale on ebay.US

Your offer of single pieces would be one way of getting exactly what you need. As you and I both know these N class motors are not all the same. I have ended up with a bagful of just "OK" motors until I found these high performance ones.

A 15 ohm resistor is required to run these on the Carrera Digital system. The 15 ohm resistor drops the voltage supplied to the motor so you can make use of all 15 of the speed steps available. Without it even the lowest setting is like an on off switch. So to make full use of the Carrera refueling system you need this. When you run out of fuel the Carrera system can be set up to slow the speed of your car down. So to be able to do this you need to be in a situation where you are not driving your cars at the lowest setting, as there will be no speed slower then the slowest.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:16 am

I do not run digitally, so the motors are very well to handle on my track. I use my selfmade electronic Controllers.

Finding suppliers who have and sell exactly what we need and not only any bags full of gears of which max. three are usable was not easy. But since I did not want to buy twenty things I don´t need to get two things that are usefuI I had to search. It took some time and talks with Chinese suppliers, but the end justified the means.

Roland

N.b.: An old experience says the stronger and faster the motor the heavier the model can ( should ) be to remain driveable. That´s the fun and thrill of slotracing - designing, building, testing, improving - all in all : having fun.

Dan, why do you mount these tiny motors vertically ? Oh, I see. The construction of the rear axle/motor bracket prevents to install it flat.
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jhrico » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:11 pm

Oh, so these are like the ones in the scx bikes, right? I ordered once from a U.S. surplus seller but returned them because he advertised (or i made a mistake, don't remember) as ff030 and at the time I didn't have the smaller pinions. Now ebay is full of sellers of those... Thanks for the offer, too.

Good to know about the 15ohm resistor. What eattage do you use? Or what is the smallest you have used? Thanks
jhrico

Next

Return to 1/43rd Scale Showcase