[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Ford GT 40

Ford GT 40

For 1/43rd Scale Models

Ford GT 40

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:54 pm

Next car on the list to be completed in my goal to build some of the iconic race cars in 1/43 scale is the 1969 GT40 Le Man's winner( interesting is that is is the same chassis that one the 1968 race)

A Gift Card chassis with a sidewinder was used on this to allow room inside for some interior detailing and Driver figure. I tried something different with this one and built a motor pod. Motor and rear axle bearing block are one piece. This keeps the relationship between the spur gear and pinion solid and Chassis flex has no effect on this.

This is a resin cast body with Vacuum formed glass.

Aluminum rims with photo etch inserts were used

Peter sent me a guide, so I used it on this build.

Decals from Pattos.

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Ford GT 40

Postby MichiganCur » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:58 pm

Nice, how are you attaching the body, and are you running the front axle without bushings / bearings?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
MichiganCur
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:18 pm

I tried something different with this one. The body has tabs that fit over the chassis side pods. It snaps into place and uses no screws.

The front axle runs through a styrene tube, and is a tight fit with no slop. I use a silcone spray lube to keep them spinning freely

Cheers
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MichiganCur » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:46 pm

Nice thanks. We don't have a hobby shop within 2 hrs from me that carries styrene. So I have to order all my parts online... If you don't mind, what size axle and what size styrene tube are you using?

MichiganCur
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:29 pm

I use 2mm axles and the tube I,D is just slightly bigger

Cheers
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MichiganCur » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:50 pm

Thanks

MichiganCur
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:33 am

And there was me thinking that you had gone quiet Dan! Another lovely job!

Regards, Lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dodgefarmer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:35 am

You certainly are building a very impressive stable of some very nice unique cars. I was wondering if you would mind giving us a closer look at your motor pod? Keep up the good work.

Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:07 pm

Motor Pod

Basically it is a Lego block with bearings on each end. The Lego block was reduced on the motor side to give the proper clearance to allow the gears to mesh. The motor is then glued to the Lego block and the pod is born.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:42 am

awesome detail work on the body, Dan!
very nice paint and decals!
i like the chassis as well, very nice work!

how did you do the little hatch in the side window?
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:53 am

Thanks Peter.

In Canada they sell aluminum duct tape for HVAC applications. This stuff is as thin as Bare metal foil with an adhesive backing. The side window, hood latches and gas cap are all made from this. Compared to the price of bare metal foil this stuff is cheap. I think a whole roll was less then $10 and there is a lifetime supply on a roll using it in this application.

The number nine car was cannibalized this morning and all the running gear removed to use in a Chaparral I am building. The chassis will be built similar to this with the motor pod idea. As per you observation it is so important you have no flex that plays into the relationship of the gear mesh. This pod idea addresses that concern.

On these scale builds though the small motor and the tall gearing may mean this chassis is not competitive for a NoMag race, but for racing equally prepared cars on my home track they are still fun to drive. I built three chassis for next years NoMag already with the bigger GO style motor in an inline arrangement. More torque and better brakes on these, but the arrangement leaves no room for an interior. They do provide better laptimes though.

Cheers
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:12 pm

LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:24 pm

Thanks Lloyd for the example. So that is a standard size "Artin Type" motor? I guess what I mean to say is it won't work with my Lego Block bearing blocks. For a race competitive car I may have to go a different route,

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:40 pm

No Dan, that is the same size, or similar to, the Carrera GO motor. The motor in that chassis is a RadioShack motor, also known as the Mabuchi FF030.

I am about to try your patented Lego Technics brick motor mount with one, I will let you know how I get on.

Regards, Lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:48 pm

Is the motor in the GT 40 15 x 12 x 10 mm ?
Then it could be laid flat as well if the rear axle / motor block were U - shaped and the open side directed to the can.

FOR THESE MOTORS
8 : 26 would be the smallest possible sidewinder ratio in metric module m 0.4
8 : 19 in metric module 0.5,

Assuming a max. rear wheel dia. of 15mm ( more is unrealistic ) and 0.6 mm clearance one could use
sidewinder gears of max. dia. 13.8 mm,( ergo 32t in metric M 0.4 or 25t in metric M 0.5 ) with an 8t pinion. Bigger pinions are of course possible, bigger gears not.

Approximated :
Using 64 pitch, 8 : 26 would be the smallest possible ratio, with the wheel dia. and clearance like above
8 : 32 were the maximum. Bigger pinions no problem as well of course.

64 pitch is close to the metric module M0.4

Roland
Last edited by walker on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to 1/43rd Scale Showcase