[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - AMT McLaren Elva

AMT McLaren Elva

For 1/25th & 1/24th Scale Models

AMT McLaren Elva

Postby VTECFOUR » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:03 pm

The larger scale seems to be the flavor of the month for me lately. I've been fortunate to find a great variety of partially built and unbagged kits through Kijiji, Craigslist, local and regional model shows at very reasonable prices.

So, the next build is this vintage AMT McLaren Elva.

I believe all the pertinent parts are there. Hope I can save the original decals. The current BRM Trans Am rims with my home made urethane tires look to be just the right size, so let's move forward.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: AMT McLaren Elva

Postby FC47 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:00 pm

Following, of course...!
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby noddaz » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:17 pm

Nice! Very nice! Please proceed...
Scott
noddaz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:49 pm

Hi Dan, why not buy a vintage Amt chassis and a can drive 36D motor from Professor motor,......build up a true vintage car. Built well, you may be surprised how well it will run.
The AMT chassis was likely the best mainstream manufacturer (non scratchbuilt) chassis of the time, much better than anything from Cox/Monogram/Revell etc.

Cheers
Chris Walker

Let me know if you choose to go this route, there may be other bits (AMT body mounts, gears,bushings etc.) that you also may want to get from Prof. Mtr
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby glasshorsevh » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:20 am

Dan,

That’s a real find!!! I’m not generally a purest when it comes to upgrading vintage slot cars, but in this case, I’d have to agree with Chris, if I’m allowed. Love the Mclaren M1As... and vintage AMT...

Val
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:44 am

Interesting suggestion, but after some thought, I'm going the scratch build route. Just seem to be more interested in building my own chassis. Also, I have all the parts on hand.

So, gathered pieces including,

- .055" piano wire for main rails and front axle uprights
- .032"x .75" brass strip for rear and middle crossmembers
- .032" x .75" brass strip for side pans
- .064" x .75" brass strip for guide tongue
- 4mm brass tube for axle tube
- Plafit/Sigma 28t crown gear for 3mm axle
- Scale Auto 3mm axles
- Sloting Plus 3mm rear axle bushings
- JK F1 motor pod (.75" wide)
- Samson guide post
- BRM 1/24 Trans Am front and rear aluminum rims with home made urethane tires

Should be rolling soon.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:39 pm

Assembled the basic ladder chassis.

Mock fitted the body.

Final stance will be close.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Very nice job.... watching you work is always inspiring
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:12 pm

Body's mounted with single posts, front and rear. Test fitted the kit's wheel inserts too.

Coming along nicely.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:56 pm

Added chassis sidepans and installed the drivetrain, a Slot It 24K boxer motor with a 10t SCX pinion and Plafit/Sonic 28t crown gears.

Again as on my Corvette 427 roadster build, the crown gear was a challenge to fit within the narrow JK F1 motor pod. Ended up trimming the gear's boss AND face of the axle bushing. A bit tight so hopefully, some running-in will loosen the gear mesh. Will have to check into other manufacturer's crown gears for 3mm axles that'll provide more clearance.

Body fits fine with lots of clearance all around.

Going to give it a workout on Luf's Tri-oval tonight.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:49 pm

Beautimus scratcher building V4...always great to see the clean workmanship!! :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:04 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bill from nh » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:11 pm

The JK F1 brackets are 3/4" wide. Their wider ones are 1" wide. RGEO makes a few different brackets. The ones I have are also 1" wide.
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:29 pm

The chassis is looking mighty fine.

Your car looks good sitting on that chassis

Making things fit is half the challenge.

I have a 1/24 Ferrari P 4 and a Porsche 910 on a lengthy to do list. I have some old Cox 1/24 chassis I am going to use. I have all the old Cox cars, and as I add to the inventory I just like to build everything to resemble the Cox offerings.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Thu May 02, 2019 4:42 pm

Just a bit of progress.

Paint detailed the kit's wheels turned into wheel inserts with Tamiya bottle gray and flat black.

A bit of paint sure helps to define the rims more.

Still figuring out a final paint scheme.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to 1/25th & 1/24th Scale Showcase