[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Mini Cooper S build - front wheel driven

Mini Cooper S build - front wheel driven

For 1/25th & 1/24th Scale Models

Re: Tamiya Mini Cooper build - front wheel drive

Postby glasshorsevh » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:37 am

glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:38 am

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby VTECFOUR » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:47 pm

I put in a thick .064" rear plate and motor mount cross member as I thought there'd be need to compensate for the front heaviness.

Fortunately, I was thinking correctly as Chris W, chassis guru, confirmed that assumption AND having grippy tires at the back.

I'm happy to say so far (body not yet mounted) that the running chassis goes very well with very little tail wagging and has good corner exit speed.

In the end, we'll see how it does after body mounting.

Dan
Last edited by VTECFOUR on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JT Previa » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:08 pm

I sure hope you figure out the tuning on these! I’ve got four of those Tamiya Mini kits I’m hoping to make a few bucks on if you can make this work...

Great comments and enthusiasm on this thread!

One suggestion I’ll make as to tuning a car for an unusual class of racing, is that these cars don’t need to handle like a Slot It. Sure, when you are driving by yourself, you want to drive that car close to your abilities with a fast car. But with these class cars, I suggest the challenge - and the resulting satisfaction- comes from racing closely with other cars of similar caliber. If the car needs to be nursed around the track, all the better indication of the driver’s skill. Let the character of the prototype come thru in the model, body roll, understeer, slower acceleration- so what if the other cars in the class have the same issues, you’ll be racing door to door with them trying to squeeze out an advantage.

I’d go so far as to suggest you require 10 degrees of body roll and about 30 grams of weight glued to the underside of the roof. Since you are challenging the standard proxy rules (again,: 1/32 Sprite >1/32 Minis >1/29 Sprites...) with front-wheel drive, add a few more challenges to make theses slotcars behave like, real cars.

A week ago, I was at the Daytona 24 hour Historics. I brought my camera and new zoom.

Take this car: Ford Mustang GT350. Unlike most on this site, I really have no visual interest in this car - I like the look of Datsun 510s, or Porsche 914-6s or Can Am cars or modern LMP cars. But, V8 hammering through the banking or body on frame wallowing through a corner fighting for grip, I start to love the GT350, I can see and feel it fighting physics. Modern LMP cars - as futuristic as they look, sound like vacuum cleaners and behave like them in the corners: no physical drama at all.

So, give me less Slot It / LMP Car, and more Proxy / GT350.

Unsolicited advice from your proxy partner,

JT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JT Previa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:59 am

After mulling it over, I've gone with a body attachment from below. Side pins were probably better for performance but I didn't want to poke them through the body's model detail.

Used Evergreen L channel epoxied to the interior of the body and screwed at four points to the chassis's side pans.

This option allows me to adjust the body height with spacers on the attachment screws between the L channel and chassis's side pans.

Got the stance I wanted with one spacer at the front and two at the rear with just enough tire clearance from the body.

Dan
Last edited by VTECFOUR on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:10 pm

Temporarily glued in the roof and engine bonnet.

Yep, that's looking right.

What a great kit by Tamiya.

Dan
Last edited by VTECFOUR on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:33 pm

Heard rumors that Tamiya's kit will no longer be in production, so I've made a mold to cast bodies.

First cast turned out not too bad with a few voids here and there.

After lots of trimming, cutting, grinding, filing and sanding, got the body down to the original's weight, 18 grams.

Going for this stance.

Dan
Last edited by VTECFOUR on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Jesla » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:06 pm

Just awesome....
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dogsbody » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:54 pm

Ah, I LOVE Minis. 1:1-wise, I had a '67 850 and a '68 Cooper S.

I'm building one that utilizes a 3D chassis made by a fellow on SlotForum and you can't beat the price, IMHO. $10 plus shipping.

I don't know what the grey piece is for... :think:

Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:17 pm

Tried glueing the body mounting L channel to the body with my desired ride height but it was a pain and just not right.

Stepped away, thought about it and came up with making a ledge of .060 styrene strip, about 2mm in height and glued it flush to the bottom of the L channel.

Now there's not much fuss to get the body to sit consistently at all four corners. Just slip the body down and let it sit on the ledges.

Will look for some thin foam to friction fit the body. Hopefully, enough to keep the body in position and to easily remove for chassis maintenance.

Some flat black paint will cancel out the ledge against the final body color.

Dan

P.S. @ Dogsbody - had a Cooper S too long ago (about 30 years) and regret selling. A rather nice 1071 S just went for $50K large on BAT. Who would have known back then?
Last edited by VTECFOUR on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Mini Cooper S build - front wheel driven

Postby viejoronnie » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:42 pm

Very nice work. As others have noted here, I too had several 1:1 minis in my "yout": a 1967 Austin 850 in high school; reportedly the last Cooper 1275s sold by the Dallas, Texas dealership in 1967 when in college; and a 1966 998 Cooper I imported from Vancouver, B.C. in my 20s...all likely gone to collectors in Japan or to historic racing use.

BTW, I am converting a 1/32 Fujimi Japanese 4wd racing chassis to use a 1/24 Tamiya or a 1/28 RC Auldey mini (tough to find) to slot car use.

The design of the Fujimi chassis allows AWD or FWD only if the chassis is switched around 180º.

You dont happen to have any spare resin bodies I could talk you out of???
viejoronnie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:54 pm

Was casting a radio switch in black for a friend's car restoration, so I thought why not just mix more and cast the slot body in color...

...to replicate my own 1:1 Mini.

Will save time painting.

Dan
Last edited by VTECFOUR on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:12 pm

Wondering how a conventional rear drive layout will perform, so...

...fabricated a guide tongue...

...to attach at the rear (the front in rear drive guise).

Will test on Luf's Big Targa to compare.

Dan
Last edited by VTECFOUR on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:39 pm

Very cool front drive chassis/build. Will be interesting to see how it runs with all of that weight up front.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:54 pm

Got the guide tongue soldered on for the rear wheel drive set up.

Wiring is in place for either front or rear wheel drive with the appropriate guide and wires.

Tempted to try running with both guides and one set of wires in place.

Gotta wait till Friday to test run on Luf's Big Targa track.

Dan
Last edited by VTECFOUR on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to 1/25th & 1/24th Scale Showcase