A chassis for my nephew

For 1/25th & 1/24th Scale Models

A chassis for my nephew

Postby swampdog12345 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:54 pm

I'm building a chassis for my nephew as a birthday present. He'll be 11 and loves trips to the 1/24 commercial track. Nothing against the flexies and womps, but I wanted to show him how we did it when I was his age. It will fit, hopefully, a lexan Ferrari body I have laying around. I believe it's a Truescale. I'm thinking I'll put an H&R Jack Rabbit in it, just fast enough to require a lift in the turns but not fast enough that I'll have to rebuild the frame after the first time he gets his hands on it at the track. Just main rails, bracket and front end done so far. Pans under construction.

I read this forum often but never post. Just wanted to thank everyone at HRW who has inspired me to scratch build my own chassis.

John
swampdog12345

Re: A chassis for my nephew

Postby bill from nh » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:56 pm

John, you've made a good start.You might want to build a second car with similar specs. That way, your nephew won't always have to be racing by himself. Have fun building the cars & running them at the raceway when completed. :)
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby swampdog12345 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:00 pm

That is an excellent idea. A pair it is.
swampdog12345

Postby bill from nh » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:19 pm

The club I sometimes race with has a scratchbuilt jalopy class that runs the H&R Hawk motor. These are 18K RPM motors versus the Jack Rabbit's 14K RPMs. The Hawks run well, I'd expect the Jack Rabbits too also. There shouldn't be a whole lot of difference in these two motors since their RPMs are similar. The only reason the club uses the higher RPM motors is that the Jack Rabbit didn't exist when the jalopy class first started.
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to 1/25th & 1/24th Scale Showcase