A tribute to an iconic family car

For 1/25th & 1/24th Scale Models

A tribute to an iconic family car

Postby ShotgunDave » Thu May 18, 2017 1:25 pm

Growing up in So-Cal had some distinct advantages from growing up elsewhere. One of those advantages is the hot rod scene. I grew up around very traditional hot rods because of my Uncles. They have been and always will be, my favorite cars.

Because of my hot rod upbringing, this particular car always gets brought up at family get-togethers. It is my Uncle Jack's 40 Ford Coupe. Not just any run of the mill 40 Ford mind you but a well executed Kustom. Uncle Jack did a lot of difficult modifications to this car.

He built this car in 1958-59. And as you can see, it has a very distinct roof. Yes, he chopped it. Which in and of itself is not a common modification on the 40 coupe. But not only is it chopped, it has been made into a hard top by removing the center pillar. Not an easy task. I've never seen another 40 done this way. He also removed the stock two piece rear window and put in the window from a 41, which was one piece.

As far as heavy body mods goes, that was it. Except for the removal of the bumpers and the installation of hand built nerf bars.

The next stand out feature was the paint. He painted the car 56 Chevy, Sierra Gold. Man what a gorgeous color! This picture is very faded so it doesn't do it justice.

This picture is also of the car without the flames, which I like better myself. Can you see where I'm going with this? Yes, I am modeling my Uncle's car. It's kind of an ambitious project but it really needs to be done.

So here we go! First step is, you guessed it, get the roof off!

Here it is topless. I only needed to take a very small amount out of the pillars, as this isn't a radical chop. It's only had it's lid lowered a couple inches. It's also an angle chop, so the front needs to be a skosh lower than the rear. The width of the kerf left by the cutting wheel is just about perfect.

Second step.

If you know anything about chopping a top, you know that once you cut the pillars and shorten them that the roof will no longer line up. So you have to cut the roof into sections to line up the pillars and then fill in the gaps. I also wanted to keep the rear window it's original size, so it was left in place and the top cut around it.

Here's what it looks like with a sheet of styrene glued into the gap.

You can see that the pillars and sail panels line up now. Once the glue dries, I trim that styrene down and sand it flush. I will remove the drip rail at the same time, just like my Uncle did.

Here it is all roughed out. I put it next to a stock 40 so you can see the real difference in roof height.

A lot more roughing in has been done here. You can see from the picture behind it, I think it's taking the proper shape nicely.

So that's where I am as of right now. I'll update as I go. Hope you're all enjoying this as much as I am!
ShotgunDave
Connoisseur of Rust

Re: A tribute to an iconic family car

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu May 18, 2017 1:48 pm

Outstanding! What a great project. Modeling in full swing :)
-Harry

"They didn't say you couldn't" - Smokey

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Wobble » Thu May 18, 2017 2:45 pm

Love it. I'm about to start 'Americanizing' a Scalex Cortina and this is encouraging me to start sawing.
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Thu May 18, 2017 2:57 pm

A gorgeous car from the first time I saw it! Your uncle did some outstanding work. Having chopped several coupes in my life, I know how hard it is! If one can imagine taking a 1/2" center slice from an ice cream cone, and trying to re join the two halves! looking at those pics shows he shaved the door handles and filled the original bumper mount slots also! You certainly share your uncle's talents Dave. The scale version is looking perfect. he will be proud I'm sure!
Keep us posted on the build!

Bob
Dire straights raceway / SSD roadcourse
Cherokee Point 80' Road course
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu May 18, 2017 4:24 pm

Once again, our lives parallel. The 1940 Ford in my life was when I was a baby.

My folks had a '40 Ford when I was a baby, and they were transferred from Ft. Benning, GA to Ft. Knox, KY. Dad drove us all the way (in August!!!), and mother had to keep rotating wet towels for his head, it was so hot that year. The trip became family lore because somewhere near White House, TN, the right rear wheel, tire, and axle just started to leave the car. Dad got it wrestled to the side of the highway, and a passerby took all of us to town, where mother and I were welcomed to within an inch of our lives, while Dad found someone to fix the car. To the everlasting glory of the 1940 Ford, the guy didn't tow it in. He and Dad went out to the car with a truckful of tools and fixed it on the side of the road. A self-disassembling rear end, fixed on the side of the road, and Dad's uniform didn't get ruined helping. Those were the days- for cars, soldiers, mothers, the country folks in that little town, and Southern Hospitality. My first model car was- you guessed it, a black 1940 Ford. My first hot rod was a yellow 1941 Ford Tudor Deluxe.
"Never trust a quote from the internet."
--Abraham Lincoln
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby ShotgunDave » Thu May 18, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks guys. Bob, you have a good eye. The door handles are indeed shaved and the bumper mount holes filled. It is also decked but not nosed and the chrome side is still intact. All will be duplicated on the slot car.
ShotgunDave
Connoisseur of Rust

Postby chappy » Thu May 18, 2017 5:48 pm

Freaking awesome project Dave. I have neither the skill or the bravery to do,that.
But im enjoying what your doing. :greetings-clappingyellow:
Bob
The future is in our hands, choose wisely
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu May 18, 2017 7:56 pm

Dave! That is a SWEET undertaking!
Definitely looking forward to seeing you work your magic on this!
:banana-dance:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby dge467 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:56 pm

Very cool Dave!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby dreinecke » Thu May 18, 2017 10:20 pm

Dave - besides the normally awesome and inspiring work you do, this car is super cool due to the family history. Your uncle had a great eye for the mods as his car looked just perfect. BTW - I love that color and can't wait to see your normally awesome paint!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Return to 1/25th & 1/24th Scale Showcase