[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Sunbeam Tiger

Sunbeam Tiger

For 1/25th & 1/24th Scale Models

Sunbeam Tiger

Postby VTECFOUR » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:00 am

Just got the 1/25 AMT Sunbeam Tiger kit for a conversion. Going to do the racing version with the optional wide fender flares, front air dam, rear deck spoiler and Targa-style roll hoop.

My recent 1/32 Cuda build's chassis with adjustable wheel base mock fits well underneath so I'll build another.

Will need some larger rims for a better scale match.

Will try to retain as much of the engine bay and interior detail.

Dan
Last edited by VTECFOUR on Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: AMT Sunbeam Tiger - converted to slot

Postby chris » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:41 am

That's shaping up really well. Gonna look tough with those flares.

Chris.
chris
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:06 am

Nice work, Dan!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:09 pm

One of my favorites. I did one in 1/32nd a few years back. Its always a favorite when people look at my cars. There was just something perfect about the shape of it. Remember the one at the beginning of "Dr. No"? James Bond tearing around Jamica or somewhere in it? It looked like an Alpine in the movie for some reason. Different hood from the ones I've seen.

Have fun with it, its a great choice to build.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby VTECFOUR » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:51 pm

Had a reminder moment of one of my early 1/32 fat Bugeye Sprites...

...and was inspired to go with the same treatment.

Kit's flares needed a bit of work to fit but scratch hard interior cover from .040 sheet worked out well. Think I'll use one of the Immense Miniatures driver figures to poke through the cockpit cover.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:08 am

Wow Dan, does that one ever bring back the memories. I had picked up the 'Get Smart' version when I was back in junior high and that was the first slot car that I had ever built from scratch. It had a plastic chassis though for the small town I grew up in didn't have the brass available. Keep up the great work for I'll be watching this one from the bleachers. :music-rockout:
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:00 am

Hi Dan, One of my fav. sports cars!!....great choice for your build :clap:

The Targa roll hoop included in the kit was never used on the production cars, and I have never seen one on a racing version....I think AMT just included this as a bonus bit for modellers to do a bit of customizing.

I am not trying to influence your building decision ;) , but that bloody hoop is hideous looking :scared-eek:, and ruins the lines of a gorgeous car

Most of the racing Tigers of the time, and in current vintage racing also used a cut down windscreen.

Flares..fine, spoiler /dam, fine...........no hoop Priceless! :D

Cheers
Chris Walker

A few Tigers I pulled off "images"

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:19 am

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:25 pm

No worries, boys. The rather tallish hoop is out of place for a roadster look so it won't be incorporated.

The rather monstrous front air dam is also due to be ditched or at least modified.

Thanks all for the pics.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:00 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:03 pm

A little progress.

Went with the stock front valence and integrated the flares with built up epoxy. The kit's front air dam was too much and now it's got a more balanced look.

Flares needed filing and profiling to match left/right and front\back. Bonnet didn't fit great either so lots of and more sanding required. Thinking of modifying that big front air dam into a smaller chin spoiler.

Want to build the static kit, so this'll become a master for cast slot car bodies.

Dan
Last edited by VTECFOUR on Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:17 pm

Just popped out the first cast.

Voids all over but salvageable.

Can finish the complete static model kit now and build a slot car too.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 pm

Me like!! :clap:

Cheers
Chris Walker
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:27 pm

Got better on the head and tailight detail by slosh cast 3. Made sure to poke resin into those crevices with a stick to ensure coverage.

Weight's a svelte 17g with de-flashing and light filing and sanding.

On to building a chassis.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Sunbeam Tiger

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:53 pm

Still waiting for the rims in the mail, so continued on the body.

Opened up the hard cover for a driver figure.

Think it's a Monogram. I really like the driver head detail and it fits the era.

The head lean is good too and will be the final position. Rollbar hoop is bent 3/32" solid brass rod.

The chassis`ll be my first piano wire foray using a Slot It motor pod. Got lots of good advice from Chris W., master builder. Can hardly wait for the frustration and elation!

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to 1/25th & 1/24th Scale Showcase