[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Bug Eye Sprite streamliner - re-chassis

Bug Eye Sprite streamliner - re-chassis

For 1/32nd Scale Models

Bug Eye Sprite streamliner - re-chassis

Postby VTECFOUR » Thu May 30, 2019 5:02 pm

Gathered pieces of my long neglected Sprite Proxy entry from years ago.

The streamlined Bug Eye Sprite body was modeled by JTPrevia and cast by Munter. I added a fairing and filled the rear wheel arches to further emphasize the slippery look.

Going to resurrect it with one of my adjust-o-wheel base chassis with a 3D printed FF050 motor pod. These seem to work well on my small car builds so going this route.

Dan
Last edited by VTECFOUR on Fri May 31, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Bug Eye Sprite streamliner - re-chassis

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri May 31, 2019 6:56 am

I don't know much about that car, but I like and your approach.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby munter » Fri May 31, 2019 4:01 pm

Nice stuff, Dan.

JT did a good job on the original shape....that proxy was a good event if I remember correctly.

I always want to build one up myself but not done so yet...I know a guy who does the body shells so when time permits.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Fri May 31, 2019 4:12 pm

@munter - Hi John. Seems so long ago that we ran the Sprite Proxy. Was a lot of fun with many interesting builds in such small packages. BRAIN's all wheel drive car particularly comes to mind.

My resurrection is coming along with the new chassis assembled.

Seem to recall that the wheels are Slot It 15 x 8 with Porsche 956 inserts.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:30 am

Mocked the body on. Going for this stance.

Body needs some grinding inside the shell at the rear wheel covers to clear the tires. Already re-radiused the front arches.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:32 pm

Resurrection done!

Chassis assembled with the usual materials.

- 3/32" brass main rails
- .064" brass sheet for the guide tongue and crossmembers
- .064" piano wire slide rods

Same goes for the running gear...
- Scalextric Sport FF050 green motor, 25K
- Slot It 9t pinion for 1.5mm shaft
- SCX Pro 27t crown
- Slot It 15 x 8 aluminum rims, front and back
- shaved down Slot It front tires and home made urethane rears
- Slot It Porsche 956 wheel inserts

...and other pieces
- Sloting Plus Universal guide, 7mm deep
- Slot It tinned braid

Body's mounted with the side pans trimmed to the contour of the body sills and blacked out.

Modeling-wise, did a little exhaust pipe of 3/32" aluminum tube fitted onto 1/16" piano wire that conveniently fits in one of the chassis main rails. Also did some gray brush paint touch up of the inevitable scratches and gouges from the proxy racing.

It's a small car compared to a Scalextric Camaro so can be a handful with a powerful motor.

Runs and looks good, so I'm fine.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby charlesx@xtra.co.nz » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:30 pm

Hi Vtecfour.

Great to see you getting your Bugeye Sprite Streamliner going again. I agree it was one of the most exciting and well round proxies I have competed in. As I recall we came 1st Equal so the result was in doubt until the last corner.

I still have my modified car untouched since competition but the sidewinder chassis I made for my standard car is long gone.

Would be great to have another proxy with these cars. The 1/29th one we had was good but scale vehicles pose that extra challenge.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)
charlesx@xtra.co.nz

Postby charlesx@xtra.co.nz » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:36 pm

charlesx@xtra.co.nz

Postby VTECFOUR » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi Chas,

Good to see you're still playing with slot cars and have your Bugeyes as well.

Just checked out SCI forum where we were posting out of.

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/porta ... proxy-race

Actually, you were co-winner with JT in the modified class, not me. Wow, it's been over five years since we ran Sprite Proxy Race 2014. Too bad, I've lost access to my photos as I don't have a paid Photobucket account.

Who knows, maybe we can get NERF club (JTPrevia, mether05, BRAIN, DoublB) along with my GVSCC group to run a new 1/32 Sprite proxy.

Build on.

Dan

Last edited by VTECFOUR on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bill from nh » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:20 am

Dan, have you checked Photobucket recently to see if your photos are there? Sometime around the first of the year, I found out they had restored existing free accounts & watermarked each photo as coming from Photobucket. My small free site was there, yours might be too. Long-term, i'd use something more stable.
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:38 am

Hi Bill,

My PB photos in old posts do show up but I don't have access to them for further attaching. I seem to be over the limit and need to ante up with some money for that.

The free Post Images hosting site or HRWs works just fine for me.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to 1/32 Showcase