[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - FLY Corvette makeover

FLY Corvette makeover

For 1/32nd Scale Models

FLY Corvette makeover

Postby btaylor » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:34 am

I had to try my hand at this 3D chassis building. I found a file I liked for a universal chassis, and another one for a beefed up Motor pod. The pod is designed for bronze axle bushings, and has reinforcement ribs in the motor area and at the axle mounts. I had some SCC stock car aluminum wheels in 15x8 and 15 x10, so I used them along with my own urethane tires. I used a slot it orange end bell motor, and 9/27 gearing. the guide is a slot it also. The body is an old FLY corvette that was languishing in my parts bin, and interior pod was cut down from an unknown source. As a FLY car, it was not much in the running department, so I had no where to go but up with this one. As it turned out, I built one great handling, VERY quiet, and super fast machine. It is currently turning low 7.00 second laps, on an 8.00 second lap average course. Not bad for a homespun hotrod!
My next attempt. is to build a FLY Marcos in a similar fashion. I always liked that body, but the front motor set up just didn't cut it for me.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: FLY Corvette makeover

Postby Audi1 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:25 am

Looks good! Glad it's turning fast times on your road course.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RBPhillips » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:34 am

Neat - a real tour de force! Body rests beautifully on its new chassis, too.
RBPhillips

Postby RichD » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:47 am

Years ago I bought a Fly C5R, it was great to look at but was a poor runner, especially considering what it cost. After my club had switched to running on wood tracks I put the Fly body on a Slot.it HRS chassis with a sidewinder motor pod and that combination is still very competitive.

Recently I won a Fly Marcos in a raffle and I decided to put the body on an Olifer printed chassis. That turned out to be a great runner as well.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 4424ever » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:34 am

Nice work man, my thinking was to do this treatment to the stockpile ( back log ) of bodies I have to reduce stealing chassis from other cars. Which chassis and pod do you use? The pod looks like slotit
PS seems that all your prints look white are you not done that spool yet :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:07 am

Pretty sure I know where that pod came from.... it's the basis for the Artin chassis among others.

There are several decent chassis designs out there and most are sized for snap in bushings or bearings...a drop of super glue lets you use press in bearings.

This is why I sold my Artin stash.....I now have whatever chassis I need.

Nice job on the Corvette! The Marcos makes a fast car too.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:43 am

The pod I used is this one.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1050441
And the chassis is this one.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1538808
Both print very nicely. and yes, I still have half a spool of white left. I also have several very short runs of all colors that my daughter bought me. The stuff goes a long way!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby GRUNZ » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:58 pm

interesting chassis: you could say that is a simplified version of the slot.it HRS chassis.
did you adjusted the length of the chassis to fit the corvette body or it just happened that it is the right wheelbase?
GRUNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:23 pm

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby chappyman66 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:41 pm

Yup, that's the pod I use. Flipped the mounts around so I can do motors either way.
Used it in the Artin chassis files. Used it to prototype a sidewinder pod. It's been very useful.

And yeah.... that's an easy chassis to lengthen. I can write it up if anyone needs help in TinkerCAD, but if you go through their lessons you will have the basics of what you need to do to make whatever wheelbase you need.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:15 am

How's that saying go about Hook, Line, and Sinker? Now that your hooked you'll never get any sleep. Just to name a few chassis designs you can have by using 3/32 rivets trued up for front axles and then giving the older dirt track racers realism by giving the front wheels chamber. I've found that there needs to be a bearing surface of 0.295 inches and an opening of .094 for a nice bearing effect. I'm currently using the ABS filament but I just got a roll of the nylon and petg to experiment with. I just made an intake manifold for a 3 hp Briggs so that I can put a chinese mikuni carb on the it. Should be interesting. Anyway I don't want to take up to much of your time for I know you need to get back to designing and printing.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JamieB » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:08 pm

JamieB
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FC47 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:26 pm

The Vette looks really good Bob!
Rich, that Marcos did as well,
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:37 pm

So....ABS requires the heated bed. Tweak those settings and fan settings. The other advantage of PVC is the acetone smoothing process but that's extra work to me....I am not try for fine scale modeling as much as a reasonable smooth body.

PETG is supposed to be stronger, but without a heated bed, I can't use it. I will be interested in the results though.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to 1/32 Showcase