[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 1930 Packard 734 racer

1930 Packard 734 racer

For 1/32nd Scale Models

1930 Packard 734 racer

Postby btaylor » Mon May 28, 2018 11:02 am

I am building this old PYRO Packard kit while paint dries on other cars. This is a long one, as the 1:1 car had a 134" wheelbase.
I used a plastic narrow chassis from the parts bin? and stretched it. BWA slimcan motor, slotting plus guide, Eldon wheels on 1/8" axles, TRU tires front and rear, 9/27 gearing using slot it parts. (drilled crown).
I have been building a whole series of these 30s cars, and I use high rpm motors, but run the track at 7.7 volts. the cars are Very fun to race, and a crash is usually just a deslot, with no harm to cars or scenery. I have been experimenting with low voltage and big motors for a while now, and I really like the drive it gives me in all classes of cars. Anyway, here is my 734 so far.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: 1930 Packard 734 racer

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon May 28, 2018 2:40 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby btaylor » Mon May 28, 2018 2:43 pm

Its colonial red, close to the factory color. I am just building a generic version for my series.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon May 28, 2018 3:02 pm

Looks perfect to me. Well done!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dge467 » Mon May 28, 2018 9:29 pm

Awesome!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue May 29, 2018 8:40 pm

That is sharp - has to look AWESOME on the track!!!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby ccobra » Wed May 30, 2018 7:00 am

Wow that looks great but what an achievement in getting the Eldon wheels to work. Most of the Eldon wheels I had are now history due to being broken where the axle goes in them.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Wed May 30, 2018 7:58 am

Very nice build on a classic! I'm an Auburn man myself, but anything with a boattail (sic) is great. Those Packards were surely a classy car. It is interesting that you have selected big motors then slowed them down with low voltage so they grunt out the power instead of wwhiiizzzz, zzzip with big revs. That is exactly how those huge engines worked in the olden days: pushing heavy, iron sleds with big thumping motors. Bob, have you ever been to the Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg Festival in Auburn, IN? There is also have a remarkable museum in the old manufacturing building.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Wed May 30, 2018 9:20 am

No Sir, I have not been to that museum. I have seen several at other venues though. they are great cars!

CCobra, I have been very luck collecting up old Eldon and strombecker wheels. most of what I have are in near perfect condition. I still add a piece of brass tubing or plastruc tubing to help out the fit. When used on a parma type axle, they run pretty true as well.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Audi1 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:43 am

Very nice model of a car that you don't see everyday - if ever!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to 1/32 Showcase