[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 1930 Bentley blower 4.5 litre done!!

1930 Bentley blower 4.5 litre done!!

For 1/32nd Scale Models

Re: 1930 Bentley blower 4.5 litre

Postby Guildman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:30 am

I had more fun with my old Scalextric pin guide vintage growers than any other car I ever had. And used to do competitive stuff in the 60s. I bought the pair again at the Gaydon Slotfest a couple of years ago and have been collecting suitable RX type motors to put back in these later issue bodies, so that I can still have a couple of old growlers.

That looks like a very nice kit for its age.
I also had a Gowland and Gowland plastic kit as a nipper in the 50s. First kit I ever had. It was the Model T. It had metal axles and steering column and the weirdest "Hicksville" driver ever!
Cheers,
Martin
Guildman

Postby dw5555 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:46 am

dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:44 pm

Dave, that might be a bit beyond my skillset! I must admit it would a be fun challenge. been a few decades since I built balsa planes with the tissue and dope covering, but it always worked. Just getting this one to run well will be a big enough challenge for me right now though!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby historiceng » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:03 pm

These cars are great I really like this period, especially the specials that competed with Bentley and the other big names.

Richard Bolster built a special which I have admired for decades, Richard was the brother of John Bolster who built the famous "Bloody Mary" here in the uk. Both cars were built before the war, sadly Richard, a wartime fighter pilot, was killed in a Spitfire or Hurricane.
Richard's car evolved, as all specials, with different engine configurations including four, Rudge Dirt track 500cc single cylinder Methanol engines. Today it runs with a 6 cyl supercharged MG engine, competing in the VSCC races and hillclimbs.

A few years ago I was lucky to be able to work on this very car that I had always admired, I took the liberty of measuring as much as possible in the hope of building a model one day..... now would a scratchbuilt car run with these Bentley's ?
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:16 pm

That is a beautiful little car! Its a shame more people don't build these cars in 1/32. there are so many model kits cheap, that can be scratchbuilt or kit bashed into specials of that era. I just won another ebay auction for 1926 Morris Cowley roadster for less than $10 including shipping. They can be a bit fragile for proxy racing, but they sure are fun for a home track.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby historiceng » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:26 pm

I agree they are fun, I have two die cast models that were very cheap, I removed the bodies and mounted them on some old unknown chassis and we have a great time with time trials against my son using the timing app for the iphone. They slip and slide with the skinny diecast model tyres and the bodies jump of making some fun accidents especially in iphone "slo mo" film where the sound of the body gives a huge metallic resonance!

I didn't mean to hi jack the thread about the Bentleys btw, I just wrote without thinking :/ sorry for that.
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Guildman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:53 pm

Eric,
I am currently making a 1/32nd scale model of Bloody Mary as I love the hillclimb and sprint specials of the day. It has two tiny Mashima N-Gauge motors belt driving the back axle. Nearest I can get to chain drive and 2 J.A.P. V twins.
Front wheels are the new skinny 19" Pre-War wheels made by RS Slotracing. In this case they are machined so that the spoke units are see through as they don't really take any load.

Here's some crappy photos of it.

Martin
Guildman

Postby historiceng » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:32 pm

wonderful... pm sent :)
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:51 pm

That is going to be a very neat car! The bloody mary special was a thing of wonder. sure put down a lot of cars with a lot more power.
I made some progress on my simple chassis for the Bentley today. Its not finished yet, but it fits well, and is light and strong.
The motor can and the brass chassis part that is visible, will be painted flat black.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Z-carfan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:54 pm

Good looking car Bob, great stuff.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GASSERMAN » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:08 pm

That's really cool Bob. Something different. Bob..................
GASSERMAN
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:45 am

That is looking very cool sir!
Looking forward to added updates!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby btaylor » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:49 am

Getting close on this one. Work is getting in he way of any serious build time, but its still getting done.
My color choice was off just a bit for this car, but i'm going with it anyway, as I like it. (My Brit friends will give me a hard time) Here is what I have as of today. tonight should see it making laps I hope!
Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: 1930 Bentley blower 4.5 litre done!!

Postby btaylor » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:03 pm

Well its finished!! Darn thing runs pretty good! had a blast building this one. I chose to leave off the fragile fenders as was sometimes done on these. they were a bit to fragile for my tastes, and this car will be ran often. so anyway, here it is, hope you all enjoy it as much as I am!
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: 1930 Bentley blower 4.5 litre done!!

Postby 73emgee » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:37 pm

:text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo:
73emgee
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to 1/32 Showcase